Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Modular active 3 way - work in progress
Modular active 3 way - work in progress
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th April 2020, 09:17 PM   #221
DonVK is offline DonVK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thanks @fluid that is very close to what I want.

I don't plan on building a spin-o-rama but the idea is right. Appendix C indicates how they did it assuming the spherical surface pressure was measured. Easier with a robot.

I also thought there was another way to "approximate" it from the polars.
Old 6th April 2020, 12:17 AM   #222
fluid is offline fluid  Australia
diyAudio Member

Have a closer look at Vituix, that is not just for simulation, the power and DI calculations can be done on actual measured data although it is geared to multiway design rather than single mic overall measurement. I'll check Sound Reproduction to see if there is any hints in there for guestimations.
Old 7th April 2020, 07:11 AM   #223
tmuikku is offline tmuikku  Finland
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to tmuikku
Yeah vituixcad will show DI and power response from relatively simple horizontal and vertical measurement data which can be done rather fast at home with single mic by rotating the speaker whilst keeping the mic at fixes location. With large speakers, I think it is easier to move the mic. Either way VituixCAD will do the math

Toole video here says inverse of DI is quite good approximation of power response YouTube
Old Yesterday, 04:46 AM   #224
DonVK is offline DonVK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the suggestions and links. After some reading .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boden View Post
Might this offer some inspiration?
Klippel Near Field Scanner on a Shoestring
Interesting, looks like its still a development project. You have to compile your own code and it looks like it favors HolmImpulse input format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid View Post
Have a closer look at Vituix, that is not just for simulation, the power and DI calculations can be done on actual measured data although it is geared to multiway design rather than single mic overall measurement. I'll check Sound Reproduction to see if there is any hints in there for guestimations.
I have scanned the thread for DI and PR. The method was discussed at post VituixCAD and seems to use method comparable to the paper by Tylka at https://www.princeton.edu/3D3A/Publi...alculation.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmuikku View Post
Yeah vituixcad will show DI and power response from relatively simple horizontal and vertical measurement data which can be done rather fast at home with single mic by rotating the speaker whilst keeping the mic at fixes location. With large speakers, I think it is easier to move the mic. Either way VituixCAD will do the math

Toole video here says inverse of DI is quite good approximation of power response YouTube
As soon as I saw the graphs I knew I had seen this before in Toole's Sound Reproduction. Thanks for the video link.

I like the concept of EQ'ing a flat on-axis FR, measure the polars, then calculating a simplified DI (via VCAD?), then using the mirror image as the approx power response.

Now I need to build a fixture to pivot the speaker on the baffle centerline to make Hpolar measurements easier.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Tylka_3D3A_DICalculation.zip (662.2 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by DonVK; Yesterday at 04:50 AM.

Modular active 3 way - work in progressHide this!Advertise here!