SEAS MR18 3-way

- you might be right but I am not sure. I tested it also set as master but I'm not sure if that setting went to the board. Propably not.

Now they are almost ready, I'm cutting wires and fixing details. One problem is that I didn't make a closed compartment for the amp and now it leaks bass pressure - nice tremolo whistle at 16Hz! I taped unused inputs and now it's almost ok and looks very pro with those duct tape strips! Perhaps I should buy a plastic basket and glue it inside over the amp...

There is a screw keeping the ball on place and I put it more tilted than original, looks better to my eyes that way. So I got some sound out today but xo fine tuning has to be done, alike new off-axis measurements. The aperiodic vent might be honking too much, but it is easy to modify or plug.

Last edited:
I might as well make a plywood box for the amp to be glued inside, I have lots of 24mm stuff left. It is not so difficult or time consuming task either.

Here are distortion measurements of the blurping and whistling vs. duct-taped version. Response in not final yet. After these measurements I shifted WM xo to 350Hz and lifted treble below 5kHz.

Attachments

• mr183w airleaks disto-vert.jpg
    mr183w airleaks disto-vert.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 657
Last edited:
Stereophonic hi-fi sound achieved!

Clones are working now, with pretty good LR2 xo and eq settings. I had a day off from work and set the speakers in the living room. Sounds really very good indeed and similar to AINOgradients, just faster room decay because of being monopole. Boxes don't have fabric sleeves and wooden legs yet. My REW started choking and it needs restart after every one measurement, so I didn't save anything today. Proper measurements require quite a lot of work to move furniture and setting pillows etc. but I'll try to arrange that in near future.

MR18 3w active - Juhazi - Google Photos

Attachments

• IMG_20181214_150703.jpg
    IMG_20181214_150703.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 749
Last edited:
I happened to have a day off from work, so I tried to finish the speakers while listening to Linda Ronstadt's canciones from Spotify. Sadly the high heels haven't arrived yet but otherwise we are ready for final tweaks with dsp settings! Temperature of the plate amp after being connected for 2 days was around 44¤ Celsius, not too much. I can see two thermistors as overheating protection.

Some new pics added MR18 3w active - Juhazi - Google Photos

We got finally some snow and temperature should remain below zero now. This pic is from two years ago near our summer cabin, nice Decmber midday sun!

Attachments

• 12400506_10208896794285262_121919981464410067_n.jpg
    12400506_10208896794285262_121919981464410067_n.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 623
Last edited:
Legs arrived later in the evening - ready, set, GO! Legs are 12cm high and tilted, total height is 98cm, weight 17kg. This has a bit '50s look like some models of B&O from Denmark. Me happy!

Attachments

• valmis1p.jpg
    valmis1p.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 662
  • valmisp.jpg
    valmisp.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 646
Last edited:
Measurement session, speaker in the middle of the room on a stand (directivity) and on the floor, distance 1.5m.

Sounds pretty good now, but perhaps I'll tame the tweeter 1-2dB and fiddle with some delay for MT section. WM xo is very difficult to measure indoors because of reflections. Reflection-free enironment wold be needed to get slopes and timing right. Still, low bass level must be set in the actual room placement. Easy in principle with dsp, but takes a lot of time and listening! More graphs in the album linked in previous post.

My favourite Christmas album is Linda Ronstadt, A Merry Little Christmas from 2000!

Attachments

• mr183w spl 0-60 15m 6ms 124.jpg
    mr183w spl 0-60 15m 6ms 124.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 296
  • mr183w room disto.jpg
    mr183w room disto.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 237
Last edited: