Need good drivers for 'copper' speaker cabinet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thank you, Zilch!

As all can see; I had a great visit at Zilch labs. Very informative.

We tested various compression drivers, as you can see. I preferred the D220Ti and 2414H over the others, especially off-axis. As the D220Ti is ~ 1/2 the price, it looks like I will go for them.

As Zilch mentioned, they will be adequate for their application (sound re-enforcement). It is possible, down the road; to find metal round waveguides that can sit on top of the cabinets. Better response and they would add to the visual effect. Just not this year- I leave in 4 weeks!

Thank you again Zilch, for your time, access to the various drivers, the tests and your experience! Hats off to you! :D

Cheers! -Kent

bluewhale said:

All in all, it sounds quite nice. It has enough power so that the dynamics are realistic and surprisingly loud for ~10 watts. My first PA speaker, and a rugged one at that!

I think the front will have something decorative made out of cloth to keep the dust out and make it look nice. For storage the stock pod lid can be put on. Feeling sleepy...

Nice one, bluewhale! Love it!
:D

It's windowed MLS, and there's nothing measured below ~200 Hz.

We weren't concerned with the HF/LF balance once we shifted to the high-efficiency filter, same one you Spiced for us earlier. I started to wire up an L-pad but decided it was really the HF we were interested in for comparing drivers, so we just left it with no additional attenuation, knowing that it would balance from hearing it with too much.

Even as such, it was listenable. There's BSC in the low pass, so once we get it dialed in, whichever driver we choose, I believe it will have good bass; we'll tweak the tuning at that point, also.

Just now reviewing the several links earlier in this thread that show 10CX HF response, these anomalies are evident in all of them except one, which would appear to have been stitched together using "idealized" response of APT-50. The recommended crossover for use with this combination does not appear to have any compensation, rather, is merely a generic from the Eminence line, and is not going to "fix" anything:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=290-636

I still think it would be beneficial to cross a little higher if the woofer transitions to the HF well ie off axis and cone breakup/ . Since we are really dealing with a horn and an interference woofer cone acting to support the low end ie psuedo waveguide. Balancing the two evils as it is.

More Data:

Same data, actually, different presentation.

Sorted by driver, minimalist polars, on-axis and 20°.

JBL 2414H:

Attachments

• 2414h.jpg
    2414h.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 874
ZilchLab said:
I'm seeing some familiar notching there.

Hmm, yes, similar indeed. Are they using an Eminence unit?

I am not a speaker engineer, but the first thing I noticed about the 10CX was how much the horn mouth edge protrudes above the beginning of the cone. Feels almost like a 1/4". Sure to produce some nasties... Compared to a tannoy, it's a real cliff!

Eh, it works ok. A nice waveguide down the road would be a good upgrade.

Been quiet on this thread, but busy here! I've finished the front faces with a new bolt-on front baffle. Actually, got a skilled woodworker friend of mine to do them for me. Installing Zilch's x-overs. This saturday, I get the grill brass plasma-cut.

Will post pics when I return. If you happen to be at BRC, come by for a visit! 5:30 & Biology. Home of Pimp Yr Bike!

Kent

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.