Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I don’t think the W has much cone loading or front jet acceleration to give directional gain like a SLOB. I did not try without side walls yet but know from physics that the bass would be much higher cutoff. Nelson Pass’ SLOB had no side walls but a much wider baffle so same effect I think.

Speaking of Z frame dipole, I made the KaZBa design and CLS had a beautiful implementation with dual 18in woofers.

DSCF7127_zpspekjpqcd.jpg~original

Actually a slot "loads" only in extreme nearfield. At practical listening distance and regarding dipole pattern formation, it is irrelevant, and easily has nasty cavity- and mechanical resonances in upper register. And I have never seen 180deg polars of eg. Nelson Pass SLOB woofer... my impression is that they gave no thinking at all to dipole pattern and just made it as a funny excercise. I fail to see any benefits in it.

The slot itself does nothing to directivity in bass frequencies. Please consider wavelengths!

I have also made a 2x15" closed box slot loaded push-pull subwoofer, and measured it in 2013, for my HT room. The closed end of the slot is stuffed with a pillow

ppsl nearfield no xo 500ms nosmo.jpg ppsl470 near 50 200 mor.png slob dipole edge.jpg

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I one can understand the push pull arrengement to cancel box vibrations...it seems less evident in a no baffle hanging bass like seen above in the gallery
Whatever you do the front to back cancelation always occurs when the backwave after having bouncing of the room wall meet the front wave.
So the farer from the wall the less biquad compensation needed to EQ lift the low end...and the more we go back to classic presurization?
Due to the wave length of the bass have we still 8 figure radiation patern ? The papers seems to says the main advantage of the ob bass is it no enhance rooms modes
I understand it as a non 360 degree radiation effect and the fact the ob bass should be near the listeners...

Reactions: 1 user
^ Yes quite many "if"s... And a room has it's Schröder Fs, below which we humans will hear only the room response (regarding spl).

Travel time of first wavefront (timing, EGD) and decay are another ways to look at impulse response at listening spot. Hearability of EGD of low freq is controversial, but as a multiway-dsp fanboy I've found it important too! Attack and slam, you know...

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
^ Yes quite many "if"s... And a room has it's Schröder Fs, below which we humans will hear only the room response (regarding spl).

Travel time of first wavefront (timing, EGD) and decay are another ways to look at impulse response at listening spot. Hearability of EGD of low freq is controversial, but as a multiway-dsp fanboy I've found it important too! Attack and slam, you know...
I do notice that the SLOB has much more uniform bass in the room vs traditional monopole speakers. Much less distinctive peaks and nulls in sub 100Hz bass when walking around. The slot actually filters out some of the woofer’s own natural high frequency breakup and if the electrical low pass is made to coincide with the acoustic low pass, we get a steep higher order filter for the price of a lower order electrical. This is predominantly determined by the slot depth.

Juhazi, your push pull SLOB looks great. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: 1 user