• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Maya R2R Advanced Volume controller

Very interesting Tibi... and very timely. I've recently come to conclusion that I need to build a better pre-amp than the BPBP+Hans relay vol + MAYA controller. Recent listening sessions have shown it is starting to be a weak link (kinda surprising I know).

So getting a few more bits or info would be good - ie will the solution include balanced option and what would be the release timeline you are working towards?

Some info:
- R-2R as Maya, but with 128 steps in 0,5dB
- constant output impedance at aprox. 10K-20K
- option to stack modules for balanced or multichannel
- possibility to jump at desired volume slow(in multiple steps) or fast (one step)
- full remote control from mobile or tablet
- alternate Apple infrared remote, as is cheap and highly available
- few led indicators for power and input
- no display
- no encoder, but "magic" control
- no push buttons
- optional power relay board for speakers, power and tube plate
- very small form

Will be ready when is ready, as now I'm deep inside a robot. :-D

Regards,
Tibi

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tibi,

Now that you've mentioned "- optional power relay board for speakers, power and tube plate" we should think putting together a state of the art preamp with tubes, which I'm working currently... including my "Iron Schmitt" circuit, of course :) (see FaceBook below)

... this way maybe we'll finally have that beer :)

Best regards,
Dorin

------------------------------------
Eliberator - Home | Facebook

Last edited:
Hi Tibi,

Unfortunate that the Maya development/support stopped, but good to see you are still working on new audio designs.
Thanks a lot for releasing the code for the app.
The Maya APK I had was no longer working with the Maya board, but now I can make this work again on my new setup.
I was able to develop further based on your relay boards and controller with an arduino replacement board to make some additional personal tweaks. Thanks for inspiring me to do that.

Best regards!

After so many years, I still receive emails from people struggling to use Maya mobile application.

Maya make use of modern BLE protocol, like airpods. You DO NOT NEED to scan and connect from phone settings. It will not work.
Steps are as follow:
1. Turn ON bluetooth on your phone.
2. Open Maya application
3. Connect from inside Maya application.
4. Enjoy !

Regards,
Tibi

Hi Tibi, I booked progress with my preamp with your Maya controller. However, I ran into a small issue now. It seems that the standby function of the relay board has some issue. When I do not connect anything to the '220V' inputs and to the 'to trafo' outputs, I can measure (with my DMM in ohms mode) that the relay is working well: in standby --> the relay goes open, with power on --> the relays closes. This is how it should be right?

Next, when I connect main power to the 220 inputs of the relay board, the standby relay closes immediately after powering the preamp while the Maya controller still being in standby mode. When I power on the Maya controller, the relays keeps being closed. When turning Maya in standby mode again, the relays keeps being closed. Any clue why this is so?
If I were to use it this way, the two trafo's that I use for my active line amp and headphone amp were always powered. This is not fine.

I tested that I can use the soft start instead to switch on/off the two other trafo's. That is working well.

I used three Talema toroidal transformers: the 62050 (2x7V, 15VA, always on) used to power the Maya R-2R attenuator, the 62062 (2x12V, 25VA) used to power the sigma 11 with the M3 headphone amp, and the 60031 (2x9V, 7VA) to power the Sigma 78/79 with the Alpha 24's.

Attachments

• Maya relay board.jpg
    Maya relay board.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 262
  • Preamp overview.jpg
    Preamp overview.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 265
Pieter,

I'm not sure I have understand what you want to say.

Normal operation is to use Maya to power on/off.
At very first power on, maya will go in stand-by disconnecting main power. Than you control power on/off from maya renote or push button.

Make sure that you use correct relay. Schematic is in docs.

Regards,
Tibi

Ok, I have the wiring scheme of Maya. Main power is connected directly to the transformer that powers Maya (always on)(I use 7VAC/15VA) and main power is directly connected to input '220V' on the relay board (photo).

According to the wiring scheme, I have to connect any other transformers (for amps) to the 'to trafo' output (photo). And to my understanding, when Maya is in standby mode, the other transformers should be switched off by the standby relay. Is that right? But this is not happening. When I connect main power to '220V' input, the '220V' input and 'to trafo' output are always connected, it does not matter whether Maya is standby mode or in power on mode. But when I do not connect main power to '220V' input, then the '220V' input and 'to trafo' output are switched off (not connected) in standby mode (and switched on in power on mode). The relay is behaving differently when connecting main power or not.

Attachments

• relay board 3.jpg
    relay board 3.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 329
  • relay board 2.jpg
    relay board 2.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 337
Hi Tibi,

I am getting back on track with Maya + BPBP build.

My idea is to do a multi channel volume control, where

Maya -> 3x Voicb -> 3x BPBP

So I have question for the input on the Voicb board we have

+5v GND +5V GND SDA SCL

Can I feed all of these from Maya in parallel ?

Or should I take the +5Vs from a dedicated PSU instead.

What about SDA/SCL ?

Thanks,
Oleg