• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Ian asynchronous I2S and S/PDIF FIFO KIT group buy

So you edited both files and restarted, correct? When running Spotify, can you do "ps -ef|grep spot" and see if you get the full command line, maybe some parameters are passed there that force the bit rate or it is not using the spotout device. Also try to change hw:1 to plughw:1 in both files.

No change after I changed hw:1 to plughw:1 in both files.

Yep, there is the problem: --device plughw:1
it needs to be spotout
looks like volspotconnect2 doesn't have the logic to use spotout.
You can try and edit /data/plugins/music_service/volspotconnect2/index.js and change the line
Code:
var conf3 = conf2.replace("${outdev}", hwdev);
to
Code:
var conf3 = conf2.replace("${outdev}", "spotout");
save and restart volumio.

Nothing happened after I have done this change and restart.

/data/plugins/music_service/volspotconnect2/index.js

Code:
  var outdev = self.commandRouter.sharedVars.get('alsa.outputdevi$
                var devicename = self.commandRouter.sharedVars.get('system.name$
                var hwdev ='plughw:' + outdev;
                                if (outdev == "softvolume") {
                                        hwdev = "softvolume"
                                        }
                var conf1 = data.replace("${shared}", shared);
                var conf2 = conf1.replace("${devicename}", devicename);
                 var conf3 = conf2.replace("${outdev}", hwdev);

Last edited:
Wow! I cannot believe that I finished reading the 4600+ posts of Ian's FIFO development thread! What a treasury. Though my head is still spinning, it is now clearer to me what kind of DAC I am going to build and how to walk the path. Thanks.

Ian, thanks for the great work! I have a few questions.

1) I suppose the MC FIFO also work for stereo. From your development thread, you mentioned that the MC_Dual_XO is even better than all versions of previous Dual_XOs. Now for MC_FIFO, is it at least as good as your previous stereo FIFO in stereo mode?

2) Since the MC-Dual-XO board only has u.FL connection for I2S, what is the largest resistance allowed in the I2S input termination resistors of my DAC board?

3) When will be the next group buy?

Thanks and happy new year!

W. YAN

Wow! I cannot believe that I finished reading the 4600+ posts of Ian's FIFO development thread! What a treasury. Though my head is still spinning, it is now clearer to me what kind of DAC I am going to build and how to walk the path. Thanks.

Ian, thanks for the great work! I have a few questions.

1) I suppose the MC FIFO also work for stereo. From your development thread, you mentioned that the MC_Dual_XO is even better than all versions of previous Dual_XOs. Now for MC_FIFO, is it at least as good as your previous stereo FIFO in stereo mode?

2) Since the MC-Dual-XO board only has u.FL connection for I2S, what is the largest resistance allowed in the I2S input termination resistors of my DAC board?

3) When will be the next group buy?

Thanks and happy new year!

W. YAN

Hi YAN,

Thank you those good words.

1. McFifo &McDualXo work for stereo applications for sure. You just need to leave the rest of channels un-connected.

Both McFifo and FifoII are doing good job to improve sound quality. But McFifo has built-in isolator and McDualXO has better LDOs. Even though,those LDOs can also be upgraded without limitation.(upgradable design).

2. u.fl coaxial cables have 50ohm impedance, so your end termination resistors should be equal or greater. But this configuration will lower the logic level. Since they are already source terminated, I would suggest the input resistors greater than 1K or just simply don't use any end termination resistor.

3. Next GB would be in March of 2018.

Happy Holiday and Happy New Year!
Ian

Ian

A question about the power supplies. The manual states the following current draw:

MCFIFO:
avg: 160mA (more with higher freq. XO; plus other consumers powered by mcfifo)
min supply: 500mA

I am building a Salas Reflektor D's to power the MCFIFO board alone. The Reflektor's parts need to be matched to the load's current draw according to page 2 of the reflektor build guide.

Can I configure the Reflektor to be optimized to deliver 100-200mA with a max load of 400mA (R1=1.5 Ohm), or are 500mA necessary and the Reflektor should be configured for a constant draw of 200-350mA, 500mA max (R1=1.2 Ohm)? Or even higher (350-450mA current; 600mA max)?

Not sure what happens when I configure the Reflektor for too much current - it probably heats up more than necessary.

Thanks
ElEsido

Hi.

I have a problem with i2stopcmboard. The i2s led has turned off and does not turn on. It has worked correctly until today. Although with some problems with U-FL connectors. Review the welds and it has worked correctly a few days.

To be sure that U-FL connectors are not, I have disconnected all U-FL connectors and connected J3 (7 pin connector) and i2s light does not turn on either. The fifo and dualxo pcbs works correctly. Any ideas about the problem?

Thanks

Hi.

I have a problem with i2stopcmboard. The i2s led has turned off and does not turn on. It has worked correctly until today. Although with some problems with U-FL connectors. Review the welds and it has worked correctly a few days.

To be sure that U-FL connectors are not, I have disconnected all U-FL connectors and connected J3 (7 pin connector) and i2s light does not turn on either. The fifo and dualxo pcbs works correctly. Any ideas about the problem?

Thanks

Finally I think the problem is not i2stopcmboard. I have connected an i2s dac to dualxo output. This dac has worked correctly before with dualxo.
you hear it, but you can barely make out the music that is playing, it is a blurry and unpleasant sound. Does anyone know what is failing?

thank you very much

Ian

A question about the power supplies. The manual states the following current draw:

MCFIFO:
avg: 160mA (more with higher freq. XO; plus other consumers powered by mcfifo)
min supply: 500mA

I am building a Salas Reflektor D's to power the MCFIFO board alone. The Reflektor's parts need to be matched to the load's current draw according to page 2 of the reflektor build guide.

Can I configure the Reflektor to be optimized to deliver 100-200mA with a max load of 400mA (R1=1.5 Ohm), or are 500mA necessary and the Reflektor should be configured for a constant draw of 200-350mA, 500mA max (R1=1.2 Ohm)? Or even higher (350-450mA current; 600mA max)?

Not sure what happens when I configure the Reflektor for too much current - it probably heats up more than necessary.

Thanks
ElEsido

100-200mA is OK I think.

Regards,
Ian

Finally I think the problem is not i2stopcmboard. I have connected an i2s dac to dualxo output. This dac has worked correctly before with dualxo.
you hear it, but you can barely make out the music that is playing, it is a blurry and unpleasant sound. Does anyone know what is failing?

thank you very much

Did you feed mclk to that DAC? Please check the maximal mclk frequency of that DAC.

Regards,
Ian

Best implementation for Sokoris DAC

Hi , thanks ian...incredible amount of work sir.

Iam a newbie as they say, however I have been moved to consider one of your products in conjunction with a Sokoris DAC?

Could you inform me as to the best way to I prove the Sokoris DAC in conjunction with what you produce? As the impression was the Sokoris DAC was fairly well sorted with its own clock regime? But I wanted to feed the 12sfrom a RAspberry PI running rune or mooed.

Sorry for the general nature of the question but I am trying to catch up and am looking for the best sound I can get whilst not being that technical ( what a quandary)....but we can do better for the money that the shop...or a less loss DAC.? :confused:
Thank you
Regards
Johnny