Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

34c9 a MDD full range speakers.
34c9 a MDD full range speakers.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2019, 04:57 PM   #41
elleman is offline elleman  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelanj View Post
Elleman, great idea! This could be a great way of constructing a larger one e.g. with 6 - 8" loudspeaker.

Edit: With the 3D printing - I wonder if the outer spiral could be made continuous and not in steps...and how would that work.
Yes if you have any ideas that would be aesthetically pleasing let me know and i can render it for you.
Old 16th September 2019, 05:47 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelanj View Post
Elleman, great idea! This could be a great way of constructing a larger one e.g. with 6 - 8" loudspeaker.

Edit: With the 3D printing - I wonder if the outer spiral could be made continuous and not in steps...and how would that work.
It did not let me edit my previous post, but this is how i assume your idea would look like. The amount of "tubes" could be adjusted very easily, and i assume, still follow the correct logarithmic scale?
Attached Images
File Type: png smooth1.png (60.0 KB, 191 views)
Old 16th September 2019, 06:13 PM   #43
pelanj is offline pelanj  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Elleman, that is exactly as I imagined it. It is really great, an object of art!
Old 16th September 2019, 07:04 PM   #44
claudiogan is offline claudiogan  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elleman View Post
It did not let me edit my previous post, but this is how i assume your idea would look like. The amount of "tubes" could be adjusted very easily, and i assume, still follow the correct logarithmic scale?
Hi elleman
really very nice.

I have some questions.
Can you produce the standard file used in 3D printing centers?

Do you have a 3D printer and how fast would you make the various sections?

In the drawings did you keep in mind the fact that in the joints each inner radius must be glued airtight and without burrs? It is necessary to operate the wave guide with the total length.

In the next days I could send some configurations, with complete measurements.
Old 16th September 2019, 08:26 PM   #45
danb11 is offline danb11  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
That looks really really good! One aesthetic thought I had was whether it would be possible to keep a smooth external profile, so that the joins between sections happen inside an outer layer and remain relatively invisible (if that makes sense). I guess this could be addressed by "dressing" the finished waveguide print with one external smooth tube.

I am one of those without a 3d printer, but would be very interested in getting at least one of these printed and build and measured.
Old 16th September 2019, 10:18 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the nice words everyone!

I started a print to test the joints. At the moment i have "quick" mode, which gives visible layers. Each layer is 0.2mm thick and the tube section with this settings would take about 8 hours, while the part which have all the tubes would take up to 23 hours. So a total print time of about 120 hours.

Going for a high quality print (layer height 0.15 and slightly slower movements) would probably double the printing time. The good thing is you set it up and it does the work on it's own. that means that i could start the print and with 4 sections at a time, it will be ready to be restarted with new sections about 3 days later, meaning i could make one complete column in a week. The material cost would be about 30 per speaker. To cut cost and leadtime, one could make the print stick to a normal PVC tube for the fist 700mm, and save about 30h of print

The joint will be air tight, it is made so that a flat surface will go bottom out on a flat surface. I want to test the joints so right now i am printing sections of about 40mm height just to see how it works. The pictures below are in the middle of the printing process.
The red picture below shows a crossection of the joint. Right now i have prioritized smoothness on the inside, leaving a visible joint on the outside. After some printing trails i should be able to make it invisible from the outside as well.

The goal is to be able to mount it air tight without glue. that would also make it alot easier to experiment with different heights.

When i have something that works i can share the STL files, which can be printed on any 3d-printer.

I do have a mini dsp with a microphone so i can do some measurements when it is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb11 View Post
That looks really really good! One aesthetic thought I had was whether it would be possible to keep a smooth external profile, so that the joins between sections happen inside an outer layer and remain relatively invisible (if that makes sense). I guess this could be addressed by "dressing" the finished waveguide print with one external smooth tube.

I am one of those without a 3d printer, but would be very interested in getting at least one of these printed and build and measured.
Please try to do a drawing on what you mean and i can try to do it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190916_194112.jpg (750.1 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg 20190916_194120.jpg (786.8 KB, 164 views)
File Type: png Annotation 2019-09-16 230110.png (3.1 KB, 171 views)
Old 17th September 2019, 08:16 AM   #47
danb11 is offline danb11  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Please try to do a drawing on what you mean and i can try to do it
You've already done it in the drawing!
Old 17th September 2019, 03:04 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Sorry Claudio for hijacking the thread.

I think the principle will work. The bottom 4 pieces are "fast" while the top 2 are on normal speed. The close up joint is on normal. You can see the internal junction with flash, but you can't feel it with the finger. From the outside it has a distinct parting line but I'm confident I can get it removed, probably even less noticable than on the bottom 4.

Unfortunately I'm leaving on a trip today and will be away for 2 weeks meaning I will have to take a break with the physical tests.20190917_134933.jpg20190917_135507.jpg
Old 17th September 2019, 03:44 PM   #49
claudiogan is offline claudiogan  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Sorry Claudio for hijacking the thread.

I think the principle will work. The bottom 4 pieces are "fast" while the top 2 are on normal speed. The close up joint is on normal. You can see the internal junction with flash, but you can't feel it with the finger. From the outside it has a distinct parting line but I'm confident I can get it removed, probably even less noticable than on the bottom 4.

Unfortunately I'm leaving on a trip today and will be away for 2 weeks meaning I will have to take a break with the physical tests.Attachment 781776Attachment 781777
Hi elleman
no problem indeed, your model has increased interest in my projects.

I await developments.
Old 18th September 2019, 01:48 PM   #50
xann is offline xann  Spain
diyAudio Member

Default Also in the twentieth century

Hi.

I found it interesting that you know what the Juan Portela did in Santiago de Compostela, in Galicia, is the speaker they called "organ sound" and that has many similarities with the Mr. Gandolfi's MDD, but this in the late 60s.

The Organsound – https://medium.com/@tek_fest_86155/o-organ-sound-ou-a-aproximaci%C3%B3n-ao-son-perfecto-444956c91ab7 | Portela Seijo

Organ Sound: Los creadores del extrano altavoz hecho en Galicia que le flipa a Micah P. Hinson | Tentaciones | EL PAIS

Organsound by Espadaysantacruz

YouTube

Greetings.

34c9 a MDD full range speakers.Hide this!Advertise here!