New 15" full range - FANE

Hello. I have a console extension speaker set that are original to a Silvertone tube receiver. Typical stuff, tiny 1 cubic foot sealed box - WAF was a thing in 1964, too. I'm actually happy with the low frequency extension with the original woofer - has a base hump, then dies off probably around 100hz. Sounds loud and full, no thump of course.

I'm seriously thinking of pulling the stock speakers and putting in Fane TC-250s. For on-axis listening to rock music. Has anyone tried these in a 30 liter cab or thereabouts? The bass models nice, down 3db around 85hz. Am I missing something that would make it unsuitable for these cabs?

Attachments

• rsz_20200526_125522_50.jpg
    rsz_20200526_125522_50.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 666
  • rsz_20200526_125544.jpg
    rsz_20200526_125544.jpg
    505.9 KB · Views: 665
  • Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg
    572.1 KB · Views: 602
Freddi the 400uf series Cap tip is INCREDIBLE (cleans up drone in upper bass region real nice), ive been searching for a sound from my peavey neo 10's instrument speakers. That did it, incredible. Big motor start caps is the way to go . My formula is 250v =100 watt. 450v = 200 watt. cheers.

Hello guys,

Thank you so much for this wonderful thread. You have inspired me to get a pair myself too.

Playing them just in free air with some EQ-ing from the AV receiver (Sony STR-DB940) they already sound so amazing. These drivers are really something special.

My long term plan is to integrate them in some sort of stereo console, in an attempt at combining big speaker sound with domestic unobtrusiveness.

As a first step I want to build two boffle enclosures, to be able to move them around and experiment with positioning/tilting etc, to try and understand how they best fit in this console I have in mind.

Perhaps at one point I'd also want work on their HF dispersion characteristics, although I must say at the moment it doesn't seem to bother me as much as I had anticipated.

In any case thank you once more for sharing your experiences and hoping to contribute some of mine as I go along.

--Alexander

For anyone interested, attached the progress so far.

Right now these are empty boffles. Next step will be to construct the framed felt curtains.

In their current form the speakers sound absolutely terrible. The bass/upper bass region resonates very heavily and completely swamps everything else. So much so that I find it hard to believe that things will fall in place with some wooden frames and felt. Happy to be pleasantly surprised though! :)

Another thought (for later) is that this 50x50x50cm cube form doesn’t seem to be very suitable for turning into a cabinet with some elegance. 45H x 40D and then a bit wider may be better.

Attachments

• 7EB3C7F2-FE9B-42FE-90CE-2286227399D2.jpeg
    7EB3C7F2-FE9B-42FE-90CE-2286227399D2.jpeg
    604.6 KB · Views: 261
I mainly think this cabinet is way to small. 50x50x50 is about 100L volume (assuming you use 18mm wood and no braces), and that gives a serious bump at 100Hz and then a fast curve down, so an F3 of 65Hz (not counting the bump). That cabinet should at least be 4x that size or you need to use eq to flatten the sound (but the specs don't like that for this driver).

And the highs are heavily attenuated on listening height due to beaming. The treble is on the knees height now and off the center (on axis of each speaker). Try tilting them up and toe in a bit to aim ears for more treble. You have to experiment with this to achieve balanced sound on the listening spot like with any speakers, but big transducers like this need extra attention to this aspect. Also experiment with damping material in the enclosure to kill some standing waves, in addition to the felt. There are plenty starting from ~340Hz due to the dimensions, should be visible on a impedance measurement at least. Hope it helps!:)

edit. attached sim of 15" ideal piston on 50x50cm baffle and you see the sound starts to concentrate to the on axis starting below 1kHz already and be a laser beam above few kilo Hertz. In reality it is not this tight due to cone breaking up and the whizzer cone and other features the driver has but the trend is the same, sound narrows to on-axis towards the treble leaving the sound off-axis be very low midley.

Attachments

• 15inch-ideal-piston-on-50x50.png
    15inch-ideal-piston-on-50x50.png
    246.2 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
I mainly think this cabinet is way to small. 50x50x50 is about 100L volume (assuming you use 18mm wood and no braces), and that gives a serious bump at 100Hz and then a fast curve down, so an F3 of 65Hz (not counting the bump). That cabinet should at least be 4x that size or you need to use eq to flatten the sound (but the specs don't like that for this driver).
Thank you for your insights! Out of interest, would you expect this bump to be there too when the back were open (which is the case ATM)?

And the highs are heavily attenuated on listening height due to beaming. The treble is on the knees height now and off the center (on axis of each speaker). Try tilting them up and toe in a bit to aim ears for more treble. You have to experiment with this to achieve balanced sound on the listening spot like with any speakers, but big transducers like this need extra attention to this aspect. Also experiment with damping material in the enclosure to kill some standing waves, in addition to the felt. There are plenty starting from ~340Hz due to the dimensions, should be visible on a impedance measurement at least. Hope it helps!:)

edit. attached sim of 15" ideal piston on 50x50cm baffle and you see the sound starts to concentrate to the on axis starting below 1kHz already and be a laser beam above few kilo Hertz. In reality it is not this tight due to cone breaking up and the whizzer cone and other features the driver has but the trend is the same, sound narrows to on-axis towards the treble leaving the sound off-axis be very low midley.
Thank you so much. The beaming with these is real indeed. That said, right on-axis they're quite a bit too bright. Early experiments pre-enclosure indicated that I still really liked their sound even when they were fairly close to the floor. But that was with a slight upward tilt I must add. Will certainly experiment further with tilting and toe-in! :up:

If you find a bit off-axis best try toe in so that the on-axis cross in front of the listening position for slightly more stable stereo image, horizontal movement of the head shouldn't shift the image as fast as if the cross was behind head. But since the sweet spot is going to be pretty small anyway I'm not sure if there is noticeable difference so do whatever feels good and is convenient :) Glad to be helpful!