10F/8424 & RS225-8 FAST / WAW Ref Monitor

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
RST28F-4 from Dayton is $39 and excellent sounding. Very high quality build and measures well and easy to integrate. I have used in about 4 speakers now and happy with the result each time.

If you want to try planar tweeters, the GRS 3.5in is also excellent.
GRS PT2522C-4 3-1/2" Planar Tweeter with Back Cup 4 Ohm

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
More airiness but as a super tweeter simply stuck in there the crossover is not the best. It would have to be redone as a proper 3 way and, yes the sound would be improved if you crave 16kHz and up treble.

I would like to try a new FAST with same RS225 but GRS 8in planar crossed at around 1kHz. I think that tweeter might be better sounding than the Heil.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes, I would mount is on top as a dipole set back about 3in for time alignment.

@audiostar: I have always listened to digital sources (nowadays mostly Amazon Prime HD). But recently, I have a TT with a very good MC cartridge in order to test out a new phono preamp design we are working on. Listening to Dave Brubeck’s Take Five in vinyl with a SET tube buffer/solid state preamp and my new Warp-1 amp with the 10F/RS225 TL. I have to say that this is the best I have ever heard this track in any system. It was probably the whole chain working together but the vinyl certainly was not lacking in supreme sound quality.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
HH Scott was legendary stuff. True innovators of the first “flat” modern looking amplifier. First integrated FM receiver, etc. I would love to have a Stereomaster 340.

Never heard of Empire Grenadier speakers though. Will have to look that up.

When I was a kid growing up in the San Fernando Valley, I would bike to Thrifty’s for their $0.15 ice cream. Then go down to Zody’s to check out the audio equipment. :)

LOL X, biking stories from our younger years are the best. Mine are from the early 60's. The speakers I referred to above were Royal Grenadier 9000, a gaudy looking piece of furniture that fit the times and James Bond would be proud of. They had massive 15" downfiring woofers that lent more authority to Joe Morello's drums, not that he needed it. Thrilling nonetheless. http://www.preservationsound.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Empire_HiFi_1964.pdf

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Wow Zman. That does bring back some memories. Licorice Pizza and Cal Worthington’s late night commercials for his car dealership. Crazy stuff.

What I remember most about the San Fernando Valley were the immense long crowded freeways and the clear blue blue skies.

That 15 cent ice cream was actually really good. I’m sure it was a loss leader meant to get people in the store to spend money on other things.

The equivalent now is the $4.99 Costco rotisserie chicken. $4.99 for the last 15 years.