10F/8424 & RS225-8 FAST / WAW Ref Monitor

If you're on a reasonable budget, perhaps the Scan Speak 30W/4558T00 would be up for that task?
Though I do apply EQ for my sealed construction, a sort of Linkwitz Transform. I was inspired by the Thor subwoofer,
but build the enclosure to a specific size. This is a driver similar to the Peerless XXLS, but often overlooked.

attachment.php

Attachments

• choosing-a-woofer-800x445.jpg
    choosing-a-woofer-800x445.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 978
Last edited:
If you're on a reasonable budget, perhaps the Scan Speak 30W/4558T00 would be up for that task?
Though I do apply EQ for my sealed construction, a sort of Linkwitz Transform. I was inspired by the Thor subwoofer,
but build the enclosure to a specific size. This is a driver similar to the Peerless XXLS, but often overlooked.

Thanks, I shall read on it, looks promising. Good to read, about your setup again.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Almost any 3in to 3.5in 8ohm full range driver can work in this speaker. Just adjust the resistors to match the level - about 82dB at 2.83v at 1m is what you want. But I have not tried a MA full range on this speaker. If you like the sound signature of MA, by all means try it. Same with Fostex, etc.

I imagine an Alpair 5 might work well. The bezels on plastic frame MA drivers is quite large and need a deep rebate. Make sure you have a big enough back chamber Dagger to house the magnet and still give it room to breathe.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Post 1 has it all. Depends on if you want the sealed box (22.4L) or the TL. Basic recipe is 10in wide baffle, 7in CTC spacing between woofer and full range. Woofer on top and woofer is listening axis. Adjust cabinet volume to be 22.4L for sealed. You MUST use RS225-8, cannot be substituted and to my knowledge there is not another woofer with a similar capability at any price by any other manufacturer. I have looked, believe me. More $ from Scandinavia doesn’t mean a better woofer for this particular design. If you want 30Hz bass then follow dimensions to make the TL. Same XO - look for the 8ohm 10F/8424 baseline XO. Adjust R1/R2 to level match your driver of choice.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I really like the sound of the B80. I have a set paired with RS225 - there is a specific crossover I developed just for the B80.

I never thought of using a PTT6.5 as a woofer in a FAST before. If certainly has the flat wide bandwidth. It could be interesting but for the price of one you could get four RS225. Four RS225 wired series/parallel would be very potent.

Specs look very good, like the ainico magnet and looks similar to te RS, seems to be the best candidate, how about the sound?
I plan to use them with a super tweeter from fostex or other firing up, any other tweeter option under $50 ?

I can attest that the B80 sounds wonderful.
It does lack some air on top, especially offset, as any 4" would.
Adding a tweet wil solve that, according to your range of hearing, of course! :)