10F/8424 & RS225-8 FAST / WAW Ref Monitor

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It’s a long thread but the posts after post 1 shows the progression. It started as a sealed box and was centered around the SS 10F/8424. At the time, the 10F was the “star” and I was looking to make a monitor type FAST/WAW speaker around it. I started with DSP and tried a lot of different XO slopes. I eventually tried passive crossovers and this was the speaker that I learned how to design passive crossovers with. I spent months refining and tweaking it. A year later, I refined the crossover some more and that’s what it is today. It remained my main speaker for years and I used it with a subwoofer. Then I thought it would be nice to have stereo deep bass and I like bass from TLs. The RS225 turns out to be an excellent driver for TL use. I met some local audio guys and they offered to construct the TL if I designed it. Once built, the sound from the TL definitely was a notch higher due to lower distortion on the woofer. It let the woofer open up rather than compressing the back wave. The bass reached deep to 30Hz. No sub needed now. The sound is just superb. If I could only have one speaker, this would probably be it. It’s not too big and still moveable by one person. It’s an easy load on any amp. It plays all genres well. It has great timing. Very listenable and non fatiguing. As the years progressed and I tried different full ranges on top, it turns out the real star is the RS225-8. Almost any decent 8ohm 3in to 4in full range can be used on top. The crossover slope is so gentle, it’s easy to integrate a wide variety of drivers if they are smooth and wide band and if they can cross at 900Hz and extend down to 150Hz. This is basically 75% of full range drivers. You can pick a certain sound on top with your favorite driver. The 10F and B80 are probably the most neutral.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I have to say that seeing Moutik’s build in solid white paint makes me rethink what this speaker can look like. I think solid black will also look really great.

Super work Moutik!

How do you like the sound? We have not heard you report back on listening impressions yet.

Attachments

• 497CDAEA-6041-443E-B8AF-7A10922CFC5C.jpeg
    497CDAEA-6041-443E-B8AF-7A10922CFC5C.jpeg
    524.8 KB · Views: 20,566
I have to say that seeing Moutik’s build in solid white paint makes me rethink what this speaker can look like. I think solid black will also look really great.

Super work Moutik!

How do you like the sound? We have not heard you report back on listening impressions yet.

Yes, Moutik's build does look good.

Some ideas on the final fit and finish:

- Wood veneer on baffle, white speaker body
- Wood veneer on baffle, grey speaker body
- Wood veneer on baffle, black speaker body
- Black front baffle, natural stain on raw ply for the speaker body
- Black front baffle, wood veneer for speaker body

The veneer / color should wrap around the front baffle for at least 3/4" on all sides - so the that the thickness of the baffle is evident.

Hello!

sorry, it's summer time and i went far from home and the final painting take a lot of time....

but it's now finish and i'll take photos in my room and post them soon.

for now, i can say it's a crazy good speaker even with my poor denon avr1600 amp. it's very detailled and dynamic, crazy bass and the disappear totally when music is playing even if they're quite big.

i'm really happy with the painting which is a white satin lacquer and from listenning position, we can't see the litlle defaults on it .

i like the speakon connector as it's very easy to plug and it's solid.

now, i have many things to do before giving you a musical detailled review of it:

-trying different weight of wool inside to see what is better
-trying with a good hifi amp
-buying a good DAC too because i only have a poor cd source.

again thank you so much all of you to help me in this adventure !!!

see you soon

It’s a long thread but the posts after post 1 shows the progression. It started as a sealed box and was centered around the SS 10F/8424. At the time, the 10F was the “star” and I was looking to make a monitor type FAST/WAW speaker around it. I started with DSP and tried a lot of different XO slopes. I eventually tried passive crossovers and this was the speaker that I learned how to design passive crossovers with. I spent months refining and tweaking it. A year later, I refined the crossover some more and that’s what it is today. It remained my main speaker for years and I used it with a subwoofer. Then I thought it would be nice to have stereo deep bass and I like bass from TLs. The RS225 turns out to be an excellent driver for TL use. I met some local audio guys and they offered to construct the TL if I designed it. Once built, the sound from the TL definitely was a notch higher due to lower distortion on the woofer. It let the woofer open up rather than compressing the back wave. The bass reached deep to 30Hz. No sub needed now. The sound is just superb. If I could only have one speaker, this would probably be it. It’s not too big and still moveable by one person. It’s an easy load on any amp. It plays all genres well. It has great timing. Very listenable and non fatiguing. As the years progressed and I tried different full ranges on top, it turns out the real star is the RS225-8. Almost any decent 8ohm 3in to 4in full range can be used on top. The crossover slope is so gentle, it’s easy to integrate a wide variety of drivers if they are smooth and wide band and if they can cross at 900Hz and extend down to 150Hz. This is basically 75% of full range drivers. You can pick a certain sound on top with your favorite driver. The 10F and B80 are probably the most neutral.

Hello X;

Could you please share the plan for 30Hz version. I want to use it without subwoofer.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
If you put the full range driver on top, it doesn't have the correct time delay (which was why it was under the woofer). You could move the full range back about 3in to give it the right time alignment if on top, but this changes the baffle and the passive XO has to be redone. If you want to use DSP and fine tune everything actively, that's fine. In fact, I think some people have done that. But if you want to use the published passive XO, then you have to build it per the plan.