10F/8424 & RS225-8 FAST / WAW Ref Monitor

There is an easy way to solve the bass "problem".

I've become addicted to my WFW as well...

This thread, X, has been amazing, making me think about ways to do things the way I like them.

It's in here that I started thinking about my WFW, and now you are sharing that you would like to try a woofer in a TL with a smaller driver on top...

Which is exactly what I am planning to do next. I already ordered a pair of racetrack drivers 5x8 from SBA, along another pair of the wonderful SB65 to place on the top of this thin MLTL tower. The 5x8 sims nicely.

I should get my drivers as soon as the new 3.5" fR driver from SBA comes available to my distributor. I want to give that one a try as well.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
So I have had these SB23’s on hand for like 2 years now it seems, baffle precut to accept them with 10F/8424. Despite what factory curves would say that SB23NRX245-8 would or would not do with the current XO, I said what the heck, let’s slap it together in a 30min experiment and see how it works. I decided to go open baffle because I wasn’t concerned about the bass but more the mid bass and mid range. I had a PS95-8 on hand and it has the same bezel cutout as the 10F. So they went together. A little Makerbeam and bluetape later - and I am listening to it. And Wow! What a fantastic sounding speaker!

Even in skinny little open baffle frame - there was nice mid bass. Great balance.

You can listen to it here (video from my phone):

XRK Audio on Instagram: “Testing new FAST speaker in open baffle configuration. PS95-8 full range plus SB23NRXS45-8. Sounds (surprisingly) very nice with crossover…”

Edit, video got blocked for copyright- I will see if I can post a sound clip via mp3 later.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Here are some pictures and an mp3 sound clip. Change the .asc file extension to .mp3 to listen. Recorded with UMIK-1 USB mic and Audacity at 48khz and converted to 192kbit MP3.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

One thing that I am seeing from this experiment is that this speaker also works well as an OB if you like. The bass extension won't be a low so yhou will need a sub to fill it out - but if you like the OB ambiance - it can be very pleasing.

Attachments

• SB23-PS95-FAST-01.jpg
    SB23-PS95-FAST-01.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 2,159
  • SB23-PS95-FAST-02.jpg
    SB23-PS95-FAST-02.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 2,159
  • SB23-PS95-FAST-03.jpg
    SB23-PS95-FAST-03.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 2,547
  • SB23-PS95-Test.asc
    1.1 MB · Views: 63
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Typo in the part number of the woofer in above post. SB Acoustics has a very logical naming system, but it is terribly long and hard to remember.

SB23NRXS45-8 : SB (company) 23 (nominal dia in cm) NRXS (NRX series) 45 (voice coil dia mm) 8 (impedance in ohms).

http://www.sbacoustics.com/index.php/download_file/-/view/1326/

Dayton PS95-8 : PS (Point Source) 95 (nom dia in mm) 8 (impedance in ohms)

https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/295-349--dayton-audio-ps95-8-spec-sheet.pdf

Above test using this XO (with bipolar electrolytic cap instead of a big film cap, and two smaller 2mH ferrite core chokes instead of a big air coil):
656203d1515700364-10f-8424-rs225-8-fast-ref-monitor-xrk971-10f-rs225-fast-schematic-jpg

Last edited:
Sweet!

Now, you'll need to make a second one, pull it away a bit more from the wall behind and listen to OB magic! Be careful though... once bitten by OB, ..... :)

Next, you'll need to get your hands on the SB65... It has the reach of a tweeter, but the punch of a woofer.

I'm really falling for SBA. Great drivers, reasonable pricing. Plus, they look good too!

Hi X thanks speed down a bit using 2 years work flow as we others probably more than often do ...:)

Great subjective it sounds good for whatever simple setup used so far, that said the Ref monitor naming in my way of thinking is obligatory to smooth reponses and other stuff to be superior so would like to see those big woofers filtered out above 1kHz or use two smoother woofers per side in a smaller diameter or whatever, for example two times SB17MFC35-8 will in Dunlavy way ballance vertical dispersion and help on Le difference to midtweeter in the wide 1st order transition band : )

Beside the critics here is some constructive data this is basegraphs from respective datasheets, below is using Dayton scales and SBA is offset minus 25dB plus its datasheet only cover up 10kHz so above that point is VituixCAD automatic interpolation or prediction for SBA:

attachment.php

Below is using SBA scales which cut x-scale at 10kHz and DA is offset minus 25dB:

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1050.png
    1050.png
    66.3 KB · Views: 656
  • 1051.png
    1051.png
    67.9 KB · Views: 875
Last edited:
evaluation cabinet almost finished, cutting done with leftover plywood and a 12v sawzall. Not so «snail» after all... for this one at least :)

Attachments

• IMG_0030.JPG
    IMG_0030.JPG
    950.8 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0031.JPG
    IMG_0031.JPG
    858.1 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0032.JPG
    IMG_0032.JPG
    820.1 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I would suggest you go with the standard sealed cabinet for a floor stander if you want more bass. The open baffle is a huge loss in bass effciency (-6db per octave starting at 800Hz, so 100hz is =18dB less than a sealed cabinet - to put into perspective). If you want OB bass, you need at least a single 15in or 18in and preferably dual 15in like typical OB systems).

I would suggest you go with the standard sealed cabinet for a floor stander if you want more bass. The open baffle is a huge loss in bass effciency (-6db per octave starting at 800Hz, so 100hz is =18dB less than a sealed cabinet - to put into perspective). If you want OB bass, you need at least a single 15in or 18in and preferably dual 15in like typical OB systems).
sorry my question was not clear, was refering to the sealed stand mount cabinets in my question .. whether we can have them as slim floor standard instead of stand mounts and get more bass extension .. may be ported or mltl ? ..