10F/8424 & RS225-8 FAST / WAW Ref Monitor

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Nice work, Jenghis!
Glad you like them!

I have had them for 4 years now I think and still do not tire of them. They continue to be up there with the best.

Give them at least a 50w amp and you will be good to go. A 100w amp is even better but not needed for a smaller room.

Use a circa $100 cube shape HT 10in sub woofer - like a Polk PSW10. It will make the overall bass presentation super.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002KVQBA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_2jclDb4693EYM

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thanks, wxn! As I recall, you are running SB23 woofers and TG9FD. But this is possible because you are using active crossover. And are you still running the Harsch XO?

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/ful...5-8-fast-waw-ref-monitor-161.html#post5645076

You have a very nice response:
724809d1545926231-10f-8424-rs225-8-fast-waw-ref-monitor-xsim-model-png

Thanks guys.

jenghis,

nice finish!

what are you driving them with? I suspect they need some «power» to sound best.

also, i didn't get you transmission line design explanation...where is the pipe located exactly?

I'm currently driving them with a 12 WPC Class-D amp, but I am currently building an Amp Camp Amp for them. Should make them plenty loud enough for my needs, but who knows, I might get something more powerful in the future.

The pipe just bridges the front and back panels inside to isolate the TC9FD from the main enclosure, and it's open to free air at the back like a port tube. It's located behind the TC9FD and exits through a hole in the back panel.

I did that instead of the three sided pyramid enclosure because the TC9FD I'm using has a much higher QTs than the ScanSpeak driver XRK uses.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Last edited:
ACA is only 5-8w. Not enough power for these speakers IMO. You might try the Alpha 20 or ABBB amp - but that’s for someone with some experience. It’s oretty easy build though and adjustment free.

Alpha 20:
Aksa Lender P-mos Hybrid Aleph (ALPHA) Class A Amp GB

ABBB is 52w Class A amp that is designed to use surplus CPU coolers and quiet fan cooling rather than large and expensive passive heatsinks.

The Alpha Big Boy with Buttah (ABBB) 52w Class A Amp GB

I'll keep those amps in mind if I want more power, but my 12 watt Dayton Audio amp seems to drive them with power to spare. My listening space is only 10'X10', and I try to keep the volume down :D

OK, i have now in my possession a pair of rs225 and tc9fd for the project. Initially, i ordered the b80 but decided to send them back unheard, because my experience with the TB w3-881sjf really got possession of my soul, so to speak, and wanted to try a driver as smooth as possible, because i new it (TB) would not cut it for serious neutral speakers, although it has it's vertues. Also, for the price, not a big risk...

So i recently i put my little toe in the water and let the music play on the rs225 in free air....just to get a taste. I'm very impressed with the speed and detail. This is pretty much my first seriuous speaker build, so i don't have experience, but if the characteristics translate into the closed box, i would be satisfied. Probably the big magnet and stiff alu cone helps with bass. in any case, i have to wait for the enclosure for serious evaluation.

I put the tc9fd in a little bass reflex i made without any filter, also to give a taste, and was immediately surprised how easy to listen it was. Much more smooth than the TB and bass was full, though not as tight, but just well balanced and voices sounds very realistic. The only problem i had with it was the «detail» or «speed»: it sounded a bit dull, unexciting and uninvolving, though my iphone didn't detect distortion above 0,3% or so, for what it's worth. i also put a high pass to simulate the fast driver setup, and saw almost no difference, as opposed to the TB which gets better with each reduction of excursion (this one is UBER detailed with a 2nd order high pass around 500hz).

BUT, i noticed how stiff the rubber surround was (especially for a paper cone) with the tc9fd and decided to run them a few hours.

Now after around 30 hours, at normal listening level, it still sounds pretty much the same unfiltered, but with a high pass 1st order, it sounds like alleviated from a burden a little, and instruments start to come to life, which is promising.

So more to come...

And my recommendation for any tc9fd owners is let them run in without filter before evaluation, if you find them uninvolving and dull and a bit rough...

I'll keep those amps in mind if I want more power, but my 12 watt Dayton Audio amp seems to drive them with power to spare. My listening space is only 10'X10', and I try to keep the volume down :D

It is not really the «max SPL» that counts but the lower distortion that comes with higher power amps, generally.

The ACA amp is a very good amp, owning it myself, but it really shines with more efficient fullranges, in my opinion. That said, i can understang why someone would unconditionally fall in love with it regardless of the sepaker. It has it's own special signature and Mr. Pass designs my favorite amplifiers :) . I'm currently running an f4 without any voltage gain straight from my soundcard if of any meaning ( and f4 is not a bass freak as far as i can hear).

In any case, i doubt a 12W commercial budget amp is a good match for a speaker of that fidelity and i have no trouble imagining your setup lacks bass agility slightly.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Look forward to seeing your build Pidesd. You might try the Dayton PS95-8 if you like a little more upper end character from your driver. The TC9FD is excellent - very neutral and you can’t go wrong. Another one with great detail on top is the FR58EX.

This speaker works nominally with 25w amps but really needs a 50w to 100w amp to shine.

Don't hold your breath on my build: i tend to take my time and make a very rough and basic form first when i fiddle with audio. :snail:

But if it sounds as i expect, i could make a trapezoid or round-ish shape to minimize the baffle effect and resonance.

in any case, i'll post updates when something interesting happens :)

i will take a look at your driver sugesstion, XRK, but for now it looks like the tc9fd will be satisfying for me on many levels. ireally like when the sepaker gets out of the way and i can listen for hours....any reason why i might like top end of the spectrum more...? More apparence of «detail» maybe? I was more looking at the 10f for an upgrade in the future, as it look like just a better version of the Tymphany paper cone unit.

It is not really the «max SPL» that counts but the lower distortion that comes with higher power amps, generally.

The ACA amp is a very good amp, owning it myself, but it really shines with more efficient fullranges, in my opinion. That said, i can understang why someone would unconditionally fall in love with it regardless of the sepaker. It has it's own special signature and Mr. Pass designs my favorite amplifiers :) . I'm currently running an f4 without any voltage gain straight from my soundcard if of any meaning ( and f4 is not a bass freak as far as i can hear).

In any case, i doubt a 12W commercial budget amp is a good match for a speaker of that fidelity and i have no trouble imagining your setup lacks bass agility slightly.

My RS225/TC9FD monitors sound great with any amp, though they are very revealing of what is driving them.

I would say either amp I've tried with my speakers the bass accuracy is very good, as good as open baffle speakers I've heard. The speakers themselves are definitely pretty lean on bass though, the RS225 doesn't go very low in a heavily damped sealed enclosure.

The reason I'm using the ACA and tube preamp is to add some second harmonic distortion to help liven up the sound a bit. The imaging, depth, and detail really improves with the ACA.

Just wanted to precise what i'm hearing from tc9fd VS w3-881sjf : by «smooth», i mean flat response with minimum dips and spikes...that is what i aim for. Both are are unaggressive to listen to, the TB has an ease to present the music and there is a very good definition to music ( especially the high spectrum), ...not straining at all, but it's like there is something missing,it can be spectacular sometimes when cross with a 2nd order, but when you hear voices they are more real with the tc9fd, probably due to the response. inside the little bass reflex, all alone, i couldn't fault it much (tc9fd) and is good as is and would make a good cheap speaker by itself ,except the lack of «detail», which is now better with a high pass at 500Hz, as i burnt them in.

Last edited:
Jenghis,

The bass is lean compared to what more precisely...other 8 inches in sealed cabinets...? Are you damping the cabinet because it resonates?

many things can explain lack of bass extension. i'm far from an expert, but i would look at the cabinet to see if i can brace further, if it sounds boxy. Also, i would say the source of music makes a huge impact on bass extension. Cheap dacs with cheap psus and digital portion like clocking can make the sound «lean». Also, it could be an illusion: i noticed that when bass gets tighter, ther is apparence of less of it.

Alternatively, bass reflex would most certainly boost bass output, in general.

Last edited: