10F/8424 & RS225-8 FAST / WAW Ref Monitor

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
No, but I do have a baffle all cut out for them. Would require installing g them and measurement and then developing a new XO - pretty sure the old one for RS225 won’t be correct. But would be worth a try. Only problem is I have so many other pressing projects. Maybe I should at least install the sports cones as the rear chambers for the full rangers. I actually have a baffle cut for an SB23 and a B80 on top. That might be interesting.

I was wondering if you think it would possible to omit the L-pad for an auto-transformer? Placed before the high pass cap of course.

I have these crazy expensive German auto-transformers lying around after a Klipsch Forte upgrade recipe by SET 12 over at Audiokarma's Klipsch Korner.

I have compared them to Duelund and Jantzen resistors and the difference I think you would find surprising. To sad to not use such high end components....
373800d1459540335-vifa-c17-venner-20160401_214657.jpg

Yes, sapphire and ruby......second hardest only to diamond. The first breakup is waaaay there and doesn’t propagate as HD within the 20-20 range so an outstanding performer on paper........which we all know doesn’t tell the whole story but........

Looks like an ideal candidate for a waveguide which might lower useable range to 800hz once the response is equalized back to flat. I’d prefer this option over a compression driver for home use any day of the week.

hi guys,

what would you think of the dayton pa200-8 as an alternative for the bass driver?

i just bought a w3-881sjf and my ears tell me it is absolutely not made to produce lower frequencies at all (i made a small bass reflex box for them). Also, i don't listen too loud and usually in smaller rooms, and don't care much about deep bass (below 60hz) so maybe the cheap pro dayton woofer would sound good and undistorted in that situation for music reproduction...? It is less than half the price of the rs225 over where i'm located.

https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/295-025-dayton-audio-pa200-8-specifications.pdf

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
hi guys,

what would you think of the dayton pa200-8 as an alternative for the bass driver?

i just bought a w3-881sjf and my ears tell me it is absolutely not made to produce lower frequencies at all (i made a small bass reflex box for them). Also, i don't listen too loud and usually in smaller rooms, and don't care much about deep bass (below 60hz) so maybe the cheap pro dayton woofer would sound good and undistorted in that situation for music reproduction...? It is less than half the price of the rs225 over where i'm located.

https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/295-025-dayton-audio-pa200-8-specifications.pdf

Sorry, the key to this speaker is the bass unit. The RS225-8 is actually a unique driver and not really available from any other manufacturer even at a higher price point. The key is very flat wide bandwidth that goes up to 5kHz. This allows you to use a simple first order XO with little correction of notch filters etc. You can always try a different driver but what you will find is that they have warts and adding the extra filters (inductors and caps) to Smooth this warts will soon negate any savings you may have made with using a less expensive driver. $60 is a steal for an aluminum cone and cast frame driver like this with flat and wide response.

If you want to try other drivers, you will have to redevelop the XO.

Sorry, the key to this speaker is the bass unit. The RS225-8 is actually a unique driver and not really available from any other manufacturer even at a higher price point. The key is very flat wide bandwidth that goes up to 5kHz. This allows you to use a simple first order XO with little correction of notch filters etc. You can always try a different driver but what you will find is that they have warts and adding the extra filters (inductors and caps) to Smooth this warts will soon negate any savings you may have made with using a less expensive driver. $60 is a steal for an aluminum cone and cast frame driver like this with flat and wide response.

If you want to try other drivers, you will have to redevelop the XO.

Thanks for your input!

Yes warts are a things i'm worried about.

i think think it is actually the main drawback of the w3-881sjf i just bought.... the response goes up and down quite a bit along the spectrum, though the overall response is very flat, and it seems as though some parts of the song are kind of missing, and the spikes are too sharp to do anything about them. The cabinet i built may not help though (square shape). I will experiment further...this is my first experience with small fullranges.

Last edited:
Jenghis,

looks very nice.

no bracing at all...full «commando»? :)

There will be a brace in the form of a PVC pipe connected between the front and rear panels. I'm using the pipe with polyfill as a damped open ended transmission line, but it will brace the cabinet somewhat as well.

Also, I'm using super stiff 3/4" Baltic birch plywood, so I don't think much bracing is required...

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thanks for your input!

Yes warts are a things i'm worried about.

i think think it is actually the main drawback of the w3-881sjf i just bought.... the response goes up and down quite a bit along the spectrum, though the overall response is very flat, and it seems as though some parts of the song are kind of missing, and the spikes are too sharp to do anything about them. The cabinet i built may not help though (square shape). I will experiment further...this is my first experience with small fullranges.

Get either the TC9FD, TG9FD-8, 3FE25, or 10F and you will be much better off not dealing with warts as all of these drivers are relatively flat and wide bandwidth.

XRK,

what about the visaton b80? (i saw very quickly you were working on something with it)

I don't see you recommend it often....does it wart or else?

I thought it performed the best in the audio clip tests you made, for what it's worth, and It's a little cheaper than 10f/8414 over here .

PS: i know you must have have many questions on driver X vs driver Y, so please answer only at your own discretion :)

Last edited:
Well it took a long time and a fair amount of work, but they're finally done! Here's one of them:

1w3myhy.jpg

Thank you very much XRK971 for making this design free for everyone! I haven't had much time to listen to them, but I really like what I've heard so far. Their imaging and sound stage is amazing, very spacious and wide, with every instrument/vocalist easy to pick out of the mix. The detail too is incredible, but not over done like some speakers. A very smooth, non-fatiguing sound. Certainly not the last word in bass or efficiency, but my small listening room and low listening levels make that easy to live with.

The only store bought speakers I've heard that I can compare them to would be the Audio Note AN-E's. In comparison I found those speakers too strained sounding, very fatiguing forward mid range. I don't think they had the detail or imaging of these speakers either. Better bass and efficiency yes, but not worth it in my opinion.