10F/8424 & RS225-8 FAST / WAW Ref Monitor

Looks like Santa forgot something and came in with a late delivery!

And it looks like the SBA WFW will be in action sometime in the near future!
Don't know when exactly as we are about to start our 3-week vacation here (Chinese New Year) and I doubt I'll stay around the house much!

And I'll start my own thread, thank you! ha ha!

And thanks again X and Byrtt for all your insights.
This should be fun!

PS. It's very nice of SBA to already install a gasket on all the drivers. Nice touch!
PPS. That 2.5" is tiny!

Attachments

• Photo Jan 15, 11 33 31 AM.jpg
    Photo Jan 15, 11 33 31 AM.jpg
    795 KB · Views: 543
  • Photo Jan 15, 11 33 48 AM.jpg
    Photo Jan 15, 11 33 48 AM.jpg
    906.2 KB · Views: 527
  • Photo Jan 15, 11 36 05 AM.jpg
    Photo Jan 15, 11 36 05 AM.jpg
    557 KB · Views: 514
Great toys there perceval, have a best vacation and we look forward follow your thread : )

Agree SB65 is tiny, then again size help it covers 30kHz or some and be kind of omni spreader in theoretical you get 180º coverage up to about 4,6kHz area, 90º coverage at 6,5kHz, and 60º coverage at 9kHz, so it should play a good omni like coverage inside your living room as your saxophone will do : )

Guess on wall and using DSP for that build it should be possible make wonders if SPL target is within recommended 83-86dB range.

Attachments

• 1012.png
    1012.png
    179 KB · Views: 2,089
  • 1011.png
    1011.png
    56.2 KB · Views: 2,443
  • 1010.png
    1010.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 508
Yeah get busy on this - skip the vacation and bear down on the important stuff!

Ha ha!

Tell that to my wife! We haven't seen much sun lately around here, so, we will drive south a bit to find warm rays, and good waves.

But don't worry, it will come soon enough!

The week of Chinese New Year, we stay hidden in the house. The roads are a zoo, full of crazy angry drivers. That will be a good time to start experimenting with the concept.

I'm just wondering.... I think it will stay in the full range category, since it is more a WFW than a MTM. I could be wrong.... And some might think it belongs in the multi way forum...

After some time with these speakers I'm still amazed by how good they are. Granted I've never owned any audiophile equipment but have listened to quite a few high end studio monitors and these relatively cheap speakers are definitely up there. The magic seems to be in the WAW concept because if I try to load the FR with any LF content everything becomes mud. Go significantly higher and the coherency goes away. I'm surprised WAW is still in the experimental-niche category.

After some time with these speakers I'm still amazed by how good they are. Granted I've never owned any audiophile equipment but have listened to quite a few high end studio monitors and these relatively cheap speakers are definitely up there. The magic seems to be in the WAW concept because if I try to load the FR with any LF content everything becomes mud. Go significantly higher and the coherency goes away. I'm surprised WAW is still in the experimental-niche category.

one dumb question.
what is WAW :confused:

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Don't worry about it - just use a good average density amount and stick it in all the nooks and crannies around the Dagger, etc but leave some breathing room directly around the basket. Stuffing is easily adjusted by taking woofer off. But if I were to guess, I would say an average density to completely fill inside except for 3in behind woofer, so maybe 20 to 22L of stuffing in its expanded volume. But, just put some in and test it - chances are you will be fine. I would show photo but never take a photo of the stuffing before driver is screwed on.

New Build!

Hi guys, just wanted to say that I've decided to join the WAW club and build these speakers! I'd like to thank xrk971 for making the designs available. I've looked at dozens of diy speaker designs and this one really stood out. I like the idea of getting the perfect time alignment of a single full range driver without the limited low/top end and excessive beaming.

In Canada the Scan Speak 10F is very expensive, so I went with the lower cost TC9FD. I got some nice crossover components to go with it though! I lowered the value of R1 to 2.2 ohms to compensate for the lower sensitivity of the TC9FD (even that might be too much attenuation). Other minor differences include 3.9mH inductors, 0.5 ohm resistors for R5, 4.3 uF caps for C3, and 62 uF for C2. Hopefully these changes won't alter the response too drastically.

Hopefully I'll get these speakers up and running soon enough, so I too can enjoy transient perfect sound!

Attachments

• IMG_0576.jpg
    IMG_0576.jpg
    817.6 KB · Views: 455
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Jenghis

Nice to see another one of these speakers in the works.

TC9FD is a fine driver for this speaker - you won’t be disappointed. The real star of this speaker is really the RS225-8. There really isn’t a replacement for it, even in a much higher price bracket. It has a smooth broad coverage that is very tight and deliberate while not being harsh.

I am listening to mine right now with a 50w SE Class A MOAMOFO. Playing Metallica’s “One” at present and I have to say, it’s one of the best presentations of this song I have heard.

732435d1548767426-build-mofo-3865e04f-88ef-4973-96a5-047e5a663eb8-jpeg

732436d1548767426-build-mofo-e446f802-5e44-4758-8f7a-6e8f7f161f8b-jpeg

Last edited:
I am a big fan of what's being done here.

I have a pair of TC9FD and am keen on using in something like this. Sadly the RS225 isn't much of an option at this point and am just hoping to play about over the next few months. I have 4 of those PE 6.5" buyouts and am wondering if some play off this thread would result in a worthwhile project to learn a little XO work. Maybe it's best to start a whole new thread to explore all my options.