PRV 5MR450-NDY for FAST/WAW applications

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I wish I understood this stuff better, I know My equipment is capable of all the digital stuffs but implementation knowledge is lacking.
I’m able to get audio via USB from one computer “ASUS gaming laptop” doesn’t work with My Microsoft Surface 3 and optical toslink from My TV but the spdif, AES/BEU is beyond Me.
I picked up a Minidsp amplifier that the AES/BEU would come in handy if I knew how to implement. I’m currently using as analog input amp.
Today I finished My Mini versions of My JBL woofers!
I’m using the Minidsp avr hda as a preamp “currently in Hong Kong being repaired” I still need to mount the PRVs to the microphone stands and chose an amplifier to use.
Fun little bedroom system!
I also have 2-Buttkicker LFE tactile transducers bolted to My bed for that extra little something something!
For the love of audio is there ever enough?
Currently using the boombox I built till the Minidsp returns.
Honestly the boombox with tactile transducers are more than plenty but I like building stuffs.
Sorry about the rant, I’m very excited that I’ve finished another set of woofer enclosures and looking forward to having this sound in My bedroom!
5yrs ago I had a spinal fusion surgery gone wrong leaving Me disabled, these are HUGE accomplishments for Me and priceless time spent with My Sons building memories!
How about that digital stuffs?
Are there any good tutorials or videos You might recommend to get educated?

Those cabinets look great Jeffrey Ames - sorry to hear about your surgery gone wrong. I hope you were properly compensated...

What happened to the PRVs that they need to be repaired? I had one with a cracked basket. The measurements showed a resonance peak in HD. PE exchanged it quickly by sending me a new one right away and prepaid label for return of bad one.

Those cabinets look great Jeffrey Ames - sorry to hear about your surgery gone wrong. I hope you were properly compensated...

What happened to the PRVs that they need to be repaired? I had one with a cracked basket. The measurements showed a resonance peak in HD. PE exchanged it quickly by sending me a new one right away and prepaid label for return of bad one.

Thank You I’m very pleased with how they turned out! I was pleasantly surprised to find the impedance matched the tuning when I tested them! I purchased the DATS speaker testing thingy from Dayton and now running around testing everything kid in the candy store style.
My failed surgery has had its blessings, I’ve been reunited with My first love of audio among other things I’m most thankful for, I’m limited but doing well!
I was able to take My Youngest Son Geocaching Yesterday “a goal I’ve been working towards since surgery” the little things in life is we’re it at!
I had to send in My Minidsp for repair, it’s been glitching for years and finally quit the PRVS are in good working order, Parts Express does an excellent job taking care of its costumers! I had the same experience with one of My passive radiators needing sent back, excellent service!

Thanks for the heads up on this unit, Byrtt. Looks very nice. I did not catch which DSP engine they are using?

Looks in their website they offer two units for speaker/transducer management in DAC8 PRO / DAC8 DSP and one unit for stereo and streaming in DAC8 STEREO and third possibility is diy using their modules.

The one reviewed at ASR is DAC8 PRO which can do computer DSP where input to the 8 channels is either USB audio class 2 or 4x AES/EBU, this is my preference because when using computer DSP one have none limits of numbers of corrections (IIR or FIR) and also one can set any non texbook filters so this way hardware investment is future proof because features is never locked into box.

DAC8 DSP looks using a miniDSP nanoSHARC and probably very fine for most as is but prepare some day one can run out of number of features which hinders try out wild ideas or new wonder learnings, that said because OKTO RESEARCH also offer diy modules one can exchange the miniDSP module to a new upcoming DSP model or mod unit with same input card as for DAC8 PRO, so the diy modules feature gives some flexibility in the long run.

What probably is important for diy and modding think is use their finished unit layout and implementation, what i mean here is we know layout and implementation means something for actual performance numbers therefor to get same documented performance as in review one shall not start use own PSU or strange box layout because one will then never know if performance is same.

ordered on 26Mar and receive it today, no more extra customs fee. the ups guy said it's all been covered on my order, really great.

cosmetically no issue, need to test it at home.

this is already my 4th FR to accompany : Alpair 10P, AurelBryan Neo 8", AudioNirvana 8"

Attachments

• IMG_20190405_144424.jpg
    IMG_20190405_144424.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 366
Last edited:
i run small testing tonight with pioneer dv300 + mauro penasa gainclone : Alpair 10P minionken, AurelBryan 8", AudioNirvana Classic 8.

Alpair is the 'darkest' and need treble boost. I still can hear 'shout' on AN & AB 8". the best yet to come is PRV, smooth vocal and surprisingly crispy treble.

Now i have to finish my baffle asap, can't wait to test on proper setup

Attachments

• IMG_20190405_193755.jpg
    IMG_20190405_193755.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_20190405_190012.jpg
    IMG_20190405_190012.jpg
    551.5 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_20190405_191254.jpg
    IMG_20190405_191254.jpg
    480.4 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_20190405_190617.jpg
    IMG_20190405_190617.jpg
    447.7 KB · Views: 345
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes, they have a remarkable vocal presentation and surprising high treble reach beyond what one would expect from the graphs. Glad they are living up to your expectations thus far. I really do feel that this driver had been a rather neglected full range high efficiency gem that could dethrone many 95dB “shouty” boutique drivers.

what I recall about prv treble is sparkling high compared to other FR is like between my beston rt002a-dipole vs other dome tweeter. prv and beston share the sparkling and crispy high while other FR like dome tweeter

I'm glad that I did not buy PM6a previously, but instead i got the opportunity to experience 4 different FR drivers, beston and T90a eventhough overall cost is higher.

Thanks FREDDY!

very interesting the charts you have published, however your premise, of the need for a tweeter is for me the real core of the matter. I have read about the good things of the 5MR450, the fact that it behaves like a true full range on steroids, but it would be useful to understand if in practice even the 6MR500 has the same behavior, or if there is a big change of voice as it sometimes happens and needs of a tweeter in addition.
Unfortunately I cannot afford to buy the two models to make a direct match, I would ask if someone could make a practical comparison to report the differences and his impressions between the two, if possible.
Thank you and greetings.

Mleod

The 6MR500 barely reaches 13kHz, and drops like a brick after that. Add in the beaming, and you'll feel that the highs drop pretty fast.

I'd stay with the 500 series if you want a one driver solution.

If you don't mind dealing with a tweeter and XO, then I'd probably get something that would deliver more bass authority (bigger cone) to match with the tweeter.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
You mean TransFi in Lencoheaven? He uses it to get 101dB sensitive (at 2.83v) tops for rock concert realistic levels with low distortion. I don't think the treble would be ruined - there is a slight vertical variation if you are closer than 6ft but not noticeable. I did this with dual TC9FD's in the Nautaloss and it sounded very nice - really brought out the dynamics by giving it more headroom.

HnHw1fU.jpg

HI X!
I thought of that case.
Thanks, I think I understand, so the reason is SPL .... I was doubtful about having more body, weight, consistency in the sound character and so I thought the 6MR was enough rather than the doubling of the 5MR, but it seems to me that 6 is to be excluded due to the accompanying acute deficit.
Thanks, greetings to all.
Mleod