Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

Hi Jwjarch,
Thanks for the update on the listening impressions! Sounds like these little foam core boxes did ok if they stood their own vs the Paradigms! Yes, adding some damping can help. Certainly with wooden cabinets, damping is critical to get the Karlasonators to sound good. They do contribute some pass through sympathetic vibrations. Bracing can help reduce the large panel vibrations.

Hey X. I did add some bracing during my initial glueup of the boxes. I’m sure that helped some. What seems to help more is my experiment with BSC and a small notch filter to ever so slightly knock down the highs. Here’s my XSim showing a single driver in Red and the dual 3fe25’s in the Blue trace. And then I put it into real components. The sound is fantastic. The foam core sound has diminished from what I can hear. I think it may have been accentuated by the FR imbalance before BSC. My only question is regarding the impedance shown in XSim after my adjustments. Should I be concerned about the huge spike in the high frequency impedance or does this just make the amp work a little less? Also, is there an associated phase shift?

Attachments

• 62E1B970-0794-40B3-A1AB-A1F17B29055C.png
    62E1B970-0794-40B3-A1AB-A1F17B29055C.png
    369.1 KB · Views: 419
  • 4560CCE2-A2AA-4B70-A4AB-297C75AD5934.jpg
    4560CCE2-A2AA-4B70-A4AB-297C75AD5934.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 425
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thank you @Skylar88

Neither plywood/MDF or foam.

JP

What material then? Solid wood? Please note that when building out of something other thanfoam core, extensive internal foam (melamine reticulated - aka miracle cleaning pads/BASF Basotect) padding needs to be applied to surfaces adjacent to back of drivers and on front chamber side walls and foam core and felt on front aperture on the inside. The foam core box sounds excellent actually and is a nice "kitchen table" project with a child. About 4hrs each should be enbough time or two nights in the kitchen or shop.

Melamine pads are on eBay from China for $7 to $10 a bag of 100 shipping included.

Has anyone had a go at building a dual 3fe22 MK with a shallow depth for wall mounting? Assuming that I preserve the proportions and volume, could the design be "stretched" vertically? If so, I'm assuming the front aperture slot would need to remain the same proportion in relation to the drivers.
Dumb idea?

hi Balaji - IF that 6 inch speaker meets its published spec then its not far off from the L CAO F6 which I have in the old Karlsonator 6 prototype

http://i.imgur.com/xp0P8go.png

With regards to that 12 inch speaker, I had Fane's 12-250TC in the stock Karlsonator 12 and fwiw, it sounded pretty good. I'm not sure how much peaking it would exhibit on the low end as did not test.

Hi Freddy,
my brother has two of those Fanes and he struggles to get any meaningful bass out of them.
Do you care to share the Karlson plans for this speaker?

Klaus