Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

Alright then!

Here's a 0.37x scale from the 0.40x drawing. Please forgive that I simply just pasted the numbers over the existing ones... and, I only used internal measurements.

Will be building this one sometime over the weekend, if I have time.

Cheers!

Attachments

• 037x Karlsonator scale.png
    037x Karlsonator scale.png
    163.4 KB · Views: 485
I had a request to see how well an Alpair 10.2 would work in a Karlsonator. Based on the size and optimizing for a smooth response, a 7/15x or 0.47x scale works well. Looks like it could be a great sounding speaker - just watch the cone excursion below 60 Hz.

X, If you are able to take a pause from your amplifier endeavors... What are your thoughts on this .47 scale alignment loaded with an alpair 10.3 instead of the 10.2? Relatively, the 10.3 has a slightly lower QTS (.316) and also a bit less xmax.

Thanks,
Pete

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I had a request to see how well an Alpair 10.2 would work in a Karlsonator. Based on the size and optimizing for a smooth response, a 7/15x or 0.47x scale works well. Looks like it could be a great sounding speaker - just watch the cone excursion below 60 Hz.

X, If you are able to take a pause from your amplifier endeavors... What are your thoughts on this .47 scale alignment loaded with an alpair 10.3 instead of the 10.2? Relatively, the 10.3 has a slightly lower QTS (.316) and also a bit less xmax.

Thanks,
Pete

I am on travel at present and do not have my computer with Akabak with me. I will look at it when I get back next week. My guess is that a lower Qts driver will have less bass reach.

I just did. Didn't have time to measure anything yet.

But the AHE driver I put in there were workhorses, and I think I may have pushed them a bit much over time... right now, they can't take anything more than 15w before rattling noises from the cone come up.

I might have to swap the driver for something else.

PS... traveling in Asia again?

Website says they handle up to 40w... Which probably as bogus as the specs listed!

Haven't really listened to it yet. Just did a quick test to see if connections were proper.
I'll setup later, probably tomorrow, but I will surely need a better driver, as I was planning to replace my TABAQs with this little K at the beach...

Enjoy the Netherlands.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
583563d1480769864-mini-karlsonator-0-53x-dual-tc9fds-ahe-0-37x.jpg

That looks like it should sound quite balanced. The shape of the apex of the K aperture affects the bass extension. What do you have now? Expand the cusp to a slot for more bass punch but less extension frequency wise. But the shallow roll off you have now will sound quite nice.

It does make a difference to build it according to simulations.

Simulations you've provided, thank you! So many of us are in debt to you and your prowess with Akabak.

This is the aperture I have at the moment... It was cut just before lunch, when I was quite hungry, and my hand wasn't exactly steady!

Attachments

• IMG_20161203_230918.jpg
    IMG_20161203_230918.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 365
that link didn't work - here's the parameters in form for Akabak for your Monacor 250p - that's a cool looking driver

FWIW - my Karlsonator12 has tuning around 37Hz

Def_Driver 'Monacor SP250p' |Notes: 10" driver 94dB 1W/1M 3.5mm XMax 100 watts
Sd = 346cm2
fs = 33Hz
Mms = 33g
Qms = 2.33
Qes = 0.38
Re = 6.5
BL = 10.8
Le = 1.2mH
Vas = 115l