Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

version 3. i think this has been done before in some way. It looks ok and preserves the multi directional thing.

URL]

I think you're one of the first to do it in one cabinet along with xrk971, and the first to do asymmetrical apertures in an over/under K. In the early 1950's, Hudson Radio demonstrated 12 or so K15's stacked that way, each loaded with a different driver so a customer could compare drivers. What do you think of the cavity resonance coloration of this arrangement vs other apertures?

I think you're one of the first to do it in one cabinet along with xrk971, and the first to do asymmetrical apertures in an over/under K. In the early 1950's, Hudson Radio demonstrated 12 or so K15's stacked that way, each loaded with a different driver so a customer could compare drivers. What do you think of the cavity resonance coloration of this arrangement vs other apertures?

I don't notice coloration in these like I do with the single box, not sure if that is my work or something else. I'll try cedar wings again, though. Yes they are pa130's

Last edited:
hi iowajosh and xrk971 - got any ideas of one more K I might try? want it to KILL my horns (for its size) - I've not had a "perfect K10" - think a high BL10 plus a compression driver/K-tube would be pretty good - not sure about a curved reflector. a Karlsonator 10 would be welcome although Beta10cx is less mid-centric than most fullrange. An XKi for pym1298/Kappa12a would be welcomed and topped with a Dayton polymide driver on a K-tube.

I've got one set of old diy slit vent K12 which I could hack with a multitool to convert to one top horizontal vent. That would probably be "ok" for a K12 with less compression when fed things closer to pure sine wave in the region of fb.

a double 12K (over/under) might be cool but have already run out of space :D

when one gets up to a 10" speaker, then a K becomes formidable - I'm playing my old "K10" with Delta10a tonight topped with BM440 and K-tube. There's about a cubic foot rear chamber, and half a cube front. Lowpass is 1.25mH/28.3uF - close to values used in a Deltalilte version Econowave. Highpass 3.3uf/0.33uF - its pretty good on a John French solo drums CD - I can't imagine a horn the same size beating it.

Delta 10a has the right kind of characteristics to make a powerful and compact Karlson coupler. Adequate motor strength, not too heavy, 2.5" diameter voice coil.

the K-tube could be mounted inside, a reflector might be bent

cAG0sDb.jpg

do the Lowell have sufficient brilliance to work in a K? - it would be nice to to sound as bright or brighter than say a BG20 or BetsyK.

If I were to use that speaker, then would build K12 with cutout for a 12" (for ability to upgrade to 10 or 12) then make an adapter for an 8". I've run some really stiff old speakers with qts of 1 or higher and fs over 100Hz in K12 which did not subjectively peak in the upper bass - those had lively midrange and were 12"

K12 tune nominally in the low 60's. The slit vent probably chokes up after a certain displacement and has "drag". I tend to like a single less lossy vent but imagine the slit vent was used to accommodate more drivers in that day (~1956 - onwards)

IIRC K12 is about 3.3 cubic feet external bulk - is that about the same bulk as a Karlsonator 8?

CT830.jpg

Last edited:
Here are some driver measurements. The driver is in a .2 cubic foot leaky cardboard box to cancel the rear wave a bit. The amp is a rauland 1410, using the 70.7v outputs. the environment is a dorm room. All measurements are with the output volume to 5 out of 10

The first graph is the input volume set to 8
The second graph is the input volume set to 5
The third graph is the input volume set to 5 with 10 db of gain at 100hz.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_w4JPMxSjWtMl9oMjYtTDMyUEU

I thought the response was pretty decent, +-6 db over most of the range, besides the huge dip from 750 - 1khz. Should get smoothed out a bit more by the k-aperture. Very little distortion past 2khz and I'd say average from about 300-2khz. Below 300 huge 10--15db level rise in distortion, though this may be in part the box vibrating. I found it kind of weird that most of the distortion is 3rd order. I read the this is common exponential cones profiles, which this driver has.

I got a little dip with SK8 and Karlsonator 6 in that region - would that be a sidewall to sidewall effect ?

curvilinear cones probably do have that characteristic - my old JBL 2220H had cone cry in the 1K5 region with very little input power when in 100Hz front load horns.

"SK8" was tuned too low for Delta Pro8a in this graph - I later removed a foam block from its vent which
raised fb up to around 70Hz. Although the F6 L.Cao speaker is even more sensitive than Delta Proi8a, the 8 inch
Eminence has much more midbass dynamics available. (I had a K-tube on top of the Eminence loaded K)

Ba1HChe.gif

Last edited: