Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

Hello X,

I forgot if I asked you before, but I'm looking to downsize my beach speaker setup (now using the TABAQs) to a dual 0.53x pair. I still have a bunch of those AHE drivers I sent you... do you think they would work into the dual 0.53x?

I now have access to 2cm boards of rigid blue foam, so I'll be making a lightweight version for carrying to the beach! :) So happy I finally found that material here... will be so easy to demo prototypes!

Well, nothing like hands on experiments...

I built a one dual K with two AHE drivers I had laying around.

Build was fine, took a few hours only, as I was using rigid blue foam and hot glue.

But...

My TABAQs are not ready for retirement yet.
The frequency response of the dual AHE K is far from perfect. There's a lot of phase wraps (comb filtering?) around 5kHz, causing the big drop there.

I may revisit this with other drivers later, but as it stands now, this is not enjoyable listening.

Attachments

• dual-K.jpg
    dual-K.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 490
  • dual K sweep.jpg
    dual K sweep.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 483
  • Dual K Imp.jpg
    Dual K Imp.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 473
one of these days I may be interested in a dual driver Karlsonator. My Karlsonator12 with 12LTA (and helper tweeter) and ferrite Nirvana Super10 is very good as is the Karlsonator6 with FE164 and L.Cao F6 TheJessMan's Karlsonator8 measured even better than the 12 when both were loaded with a Visaton BG20. (I don't think Jesse had the stub filled on the Karlsonator12 for its test at his place)

Beta10cx in the Karlsonator 12 went below 40Hz solid and with little cone excursion - but I didn't like its relatively weak/laid-back midrange. It needs another pound of magnet slug. Maybe I'll mount one of my prized cast frame Eminence 12cx with 80oz motor in the Karlsonator12 for evaluation - those are close to 100dB at 1 watt. Also, Beyma's 12cx has a much better (stronger) midrange than Beta10cx and more extended woofer top end than Beta12cx.

I need one more stab at a "K10" - Karlson's original K12 can be great with the right speaker - they're a little bit large for a strong motor 10.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thanks, X.

Yeah, it is not balanced at all... didn't even bother bringing it to a friend who wanted to hear it.

I should have run sims for you before telling you it would work at 0.53x scale. This driver is peculiar and has a real mid-bass hump and 60Hz peaky bass overshoot if used as dual drivers in a 0.53x W x 0.53x H&D. No wonder it doesn't sound right.

Try making the cabinet 0.42x wide (you can take current cabinet and slice off one side then re-center the baffle board. You should get something better behaved like this, but still mod-bass heavy at 300Hz - best if used near a back wall or corner to boost the bass:

581238d1479743838-mini-karlsonator-0-53x-dual-tc9fds-ahe-0.53-0.42w-freq-1m.png

But best performance is actually single driver in a very compact 0.37x (all dimensions) and you get something fairly balanced with 65Hz F3 - you will be surprised by how balanced it sounds - very easy to make:

581239d1479743838-mini-karlsonator-0-53x-dual-tc9fds-ahe-0.37x.png

One more thing - important to make the Karlson aperture go to a sharp cusp - not a slot. That changes the bass roll-off slope quite a bit.

Attachments

• AHE-0.53=0.42w-freq-1m.png
    AHE-0.53=0.42w-freq-1m.png
    19.6 KB · Views: 479
  • AHE-0.37x.png
    AHE-0.37x.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 497
Last edited:
I guess X will have to clarify - I assumed he was working from GregB's Karlsonator12 dimensions for scaling

at 0.37 scale from the original Karlsonator ("12"):

I get roughly 11.47" (29.13 cm) tall x 6.2" 17.74mm) wide x 6.57" deep (16.68mm) deep for external dimensions at 0.37 scale.

here's the ~ 1/4 scale image for easier reading of the original dimensions
http://i.imgur.com/9YhM6or.png

I do the scaling in Pixelmator, a program like Adobe Photoshop. Using rulers and guidelines. But trying to scale the original file, I couldn't get the same dimensions as with the ones posted for 0.53x and 0.40x.

Anyway, thanks freddi and X. I'll try it again and see how close I get get to freddi's dimensions for the 0.37x.

Off to bed now, and something to try tomorrow! Cool!