Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th October 2014, 06:04 PM   #1001
djn is offline djn  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prezden View Post
Well my mini's are almost finished and I am thrilled
Thanks X and everyone else for all your help.
Good looking build Prezden. The guy who builds my cabs is out with a new hip and he thinks it will be after the first of the year before he can build my minis like yours.

How do yours sound???
Old 29th October 2014, 08:55 PM   #1002
prezden is offline prezden  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thanks x and djn. The only thing left to do on them is a few more coats of varnish. I will have to disconnect them so I don't when that will happen
So far I have only listened to a Leonard Cohen cd (10 new songs). The sound is very even, smooth and exceptionally detailed. I could even discern the different voices of the back up chorus. Playing with one of my tpa3116 amps and a portable Sony cd player.

cheers
Old 29th October 2014, 09:05 PM   #1003
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prezden View Post
Thanks x and djn. The only thing left to do on them is a few more coats of varnish. I will have to disconnect them so I don't when that will happen
So far I have only listened to a Leonard Cohen cd (10 new songs). The sound is very even, smooth and exceptionally detailed. I could even discern the different voices of the back up chorus. Playing with one of my tpa3116 amps and a portable Sony cd player.

cheers
Awesome!
Old 30th October 2014, 03:12 AM   #1004
mikejennens is offline mikejennens  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey x,
I bought 4 of these when they were on clearance at Parts-Express:
Vifa TC9FD-05-16 3-1/2" Full Range Driver 16 Ohm
I see parameters such as Fs, Qts, and VAS are different than the 8 ohm version. Having said that, what's the possibility a 4 of these (2 per cab) would work well in the .53 Mini Karlsonator?
I started a DCR you mentioned in this thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-...ow-bass-2.html
Is it possible the 16 ohm would work well in these- 1 per cabinet?
Thanks,
Mike
HiFiMeDIY T3 amp, FiiO DAC, HP Laptop source, Paul Carmody's Sunflowers and Core Two-Ways, Jeff Bagby's Continuums, Bjorn's TABAQs with the Peerless TC9FD18-08s with a TangBand W3-2108 sub ... and a set of 60 year-old worn out ears from 1959
Old 30th October 2014, 03:38 AM   #1005
a3cervo is offline a3cervo  Philippines
diyAudio Member

I'm considering this for my next build. Will they work well nearfield as computer speakers?about 3ft away from listening position?

Last edited by a3cervo; 30th October 2014 at 03:43 AM.
Old 30th October 2014, 04:15 AM   #1006
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a3cervo View Post
I'm considering this for my next build. Will they work well nearfield as computer speakers?about 3ft away from listening position?
Yes. I have used them exactly for this and they work very well. Use the 0.4x scale with the TC9FD or 3FE25's.
Old 30th October 2014, 12:45 PM   #1007
a3cervo is offline a3cervo  Philippines
diyAudio Member

^ Hi X!

What is the advantage of the .53x over the .4x sonically / sound-wise? Reason i'm asking is; i have a fairly large desk and can accommodate the size of .53x.

How do these speakers perform when placed near the back wall?

Btw, you've done a very good job sharing here your projects. I appreciate your help.
Old 30th October 2014, 04:53 PM   #1008
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a3cervo View Post
^ Hi X!

What is the advantage of the .53x over the .4x sonically / sound-wise? Reason i'm asking is; i have a fairly large desk and can accommodate the size of .53x.

How do these speakers perform when placed near the back wall?

Btw, you've done a very good job sharing here your projects. I appreciate your help.
0.53x has deeper bass in the 50Hz range vs 70Hz for 0.4x. Against a wall is best for deepest bass extension so no problem there - you will like the sound. The 0.53x also has advantage of higher sensitivity and more headroom as the drivers in parallel have 91dB sensitivity at 2.83v. If you have room, go with the bigger one. Good luck.
Old 30th October 2014, 08:34 PM   #1009
EddieT is offline EddieT  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
I have a pair of 0.4x mini Karlsonators with 3FE25's in the kitchen hooked up to a $5 TDA7297 amp as a speaker for iPhones and such . . .
Did you build or purchase the amp? Link?
Old 30th October 2014, 10:45 PM   #1010
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieT View Post
Did you build or purchase the amp? Link?
It would cost you $25 in parts to build this thing. A great sounding amp and a bargain. You need a 12v laptop supply.

Online Shop 15W+15W TDA7297 Rev B dual Channel Amplifier Board AC/DC 12V No noise High Power Free shipping|Aliexpress Mobile

It is class AB which may have advantages if you are trying to avoid noise emission for radio signals.

An externally hosted image should be here but it no longer works. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD'sHide this!Advertise here!