Frugel-Horn Mk3

... which would essentially entail a complete redesign as the dimensions have changed.

I gotta smile, no sooner as we are treated to a new FH design and we are all over it with questions about changes and we haven't even built any yet - good job you guys have lottsa patience with us DIYers :)

Dave Scott and others(?),

Congrats on your new design.
Looks very promissing.
I'm working on something simular with the FE166E.
Will try to keep the same form factor as your new FH3.(if possible)
They are HUGH !!
My sims in hornresp start looking better and better.
End of september I will start a new "group-build", with 4 adults , who I will push to build an alpha of the 166 design.
Do hope there will be a lot of followers for your new design!!

Good luck and best wishes, Leon.

Dave, Scott, Et Al,

These look very interesting. Good show gentlemen. Would I be too nosy to ask what the general dimensions of these units are? ( HxWxD ) I have access to some ply offcuts that are/may be suitable for these, pending dimensions.

One other question, this is the doozy, could the driver be placed atop the enclosure to use it as an Omni-Surround driver in a HT? ( I couldn't resist asking, especially when a good portion of the other posters seem so intent on changing this unique looking design already.....)

John

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
...what the general dimensions of these units are? ( HxWxD )...

One other question, this is the doozy, could the driver be placed atop the enclosure to use it as an Omni-Surround driver in a HT?

You will change the driver offset if you do that, increasing the ripple.

dave

Attachments

• FH-Mk3-extents.gif
    FH-Mk3-extents.gif
    9.5 KB · Views: 1,742
I gotta smile, no sooner as we are treated to a new FH design and we are all over it with questions about changes and we haven't even built any yet - good job you guys have lottsa patience with us DIYers :)

Hehe ... I hope that the originators see that this is not truly a wish to change anything. Rather, it is fascination, and from it a strong desire to understand.

Beautiful cabinet! Everyone agrees.

Thanks Dave,

I surmised as much Re: relocation of the driver, but I was trying to get in the apparent gist of the other's responses too....It ain't easy going green, recycle, reuse, repurpose, relocate, I have trouble remembering what all I'm supposed to do....

The Dimensions are conducive to the material I have available.

Now, who do I have to assasinate to procure plans in payment?

John

Note to any humorless, unimaginative NID snoops who may have nothing better to do than spy on taxpayers. The use of the word Assasinate in Post #67 was meant as nothing more than a joke!!!

Dave,

In udder woids, we gets ta be da, what yous callit, " Guinea Pigs"?

Fix de plans, and alla dat der stuff....

's OK wit me.

John

Dave Scott and others(?),

Congrats on your new design.
Looks very promissing.
I'm working on something simular with the FE166E.
Will try to keep the same form factor as your new FH3.(if possible)
They are HUGH !!
My sims in hornresp start looking better and better.
End of september I will start a new "group-build", with 4 adults , who I will push to build an alpha of the 166 design.
Do hope there will be a lot of followers for your new design!!

Good luck and best wishes, Leon.

Why go half way? Some of us have bigger listening rooms.
Let's have a variant to suit 8" FR's - say one of the FE206/207/208E drivers.
Or maybe the B200?
(I don't understand their TS data well enough to know which would be better suited.)
Doug

So far the (initial) way I'm thinking of this speaker design is the same way mentioned earlier in the thread - as a Voight Pipe. If I understand correctly, a Voigt Pipe is not a simple TL, but shares some of the properties of TLs, Horns and BRs. As I read more I start to see that there are many speaker designs that have been 'classified' into a category (e.g. TL) but in reality there is a continuous 'spectrum' of speaker enclosures. Whilst it helps to categorize to keep things simple for me whilst I try to learn more, I now realize that some of the best speakers defy being categorized. And now I see why simulation is so important for good design because something like the MJK simulations allow enclosures to be modeled without being categorized.

So, if I think of FH3 as a Voigt Pipe I will have ripples in the freq. response corresponding to resonances. This is something that can be ameliorated with stuffing. Will FH3 need some stuffing ?

Another method to reduce resonances is to add a 2nd driver. The idea mentioned earlier to try out two 3" drivers would cover this one ?

The horn loaded vent is the main departure from a traditional Voigt; offers the potential to add much better coupling of bass to the room which 'fixes' a major limitation of the Voigt. Can we see more of the MJK modeling of this FH3 ?

Last edited:
Will the FH3 require or benefit from a rear deflector like the FH1/2? If so, which do you think works better without the deflector in terms of bass output and extension?

Our experience to date with a range of rear (single) mouthed BLHs (from Horneshoppe/ Buschhorn/A126/various FH) suggests that yes, they couldn't hurt - particularly if placed along a flat rear wall rather than corner

Last edited:
So far the (initial) way I'm thinking of this speaker design is the same way mentioned earlier in the thread - as a Voight Pipe. If I understand correctly, a Voight Pipe is not a simple TL, but shares some of the properties of TLs, Horns and BRs.

A Voigt (no 'h') pipe is a conical horn. Any line that expands toward the terminus is a horn. End of story.

As I read more I start to see that there are many speaker designs that have been 'classified' into a category (e.g. TL) but in reality there is a continuous 'spectrum' of speaker enclosures.

To an extent, yes. 'Transmission Line' has become a catch-all phrase that has ended up being used by different people to refer to boxes that are the exact opposite of each other. Technically a TL is an untapered cabinet stuffed with the sole objective of providing the flatest possible impedance -the electrical TL is where the name comes from. But as noted, it's rarely used in such a narrow (if technically correct) manner. There's a danger inherent in becoming hung up on definitions; OTOH, accuracy of definition can also prevent a lot of problems. Simple ROT from the pioneers of audio:

Pipe expanding toward the terminus = horn
Straight pipe = TL
Pipe narrowing toward the terminus = TQWT

So, if I think of FH3 as a Voight Pipe I will have ripples in the freq. response corresponding to resonances. This is something that can be ameliorated with stuffing. Will FH3 need some stuffing?

A Voigt pipe in the usual parlance is a conical horn tuned to 1/4 wavelength (there are exceptions) of the desired Fo & is rarely impedance matched in its functional BW (again, with certain exceptions). It's basically a standing-wave generator; having positive expansion that means 1/2 wave with a 1/4 wave fundamental. The ripples in the FR are a function of the pipe harmonics, just as they are in a straight pipe, albeit with both odd and even harmonics. FH3 is a hypex (hyperboilc) corner-horn, impedance matched to a much lower frequency. Different flare profile, different results, far less harmonic ripple through it's functional BW.

The horn loaded vent is the main departure from a traditional Voight; offers the potential to add much better coupling of bass to the room which 'fixes' a major limitation of the Voight.

I seem to recall talking about this before. FH3 approximates a hypex / hyperbolic horn profile with two conical expansion stages between which a choke is inserted per Olson which helps block unwanted higher frequencies (viz. shorter wavelengths) from passing in either direction. Said choke has almost zero effect on Fo. As a corner / rear-boundary loaded design the expansion thus continues outside the box, like any other corner / 1/4 space design.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
There's a danger inherent in becoming hung up on definitions; OTOH, accuracy of definition can also prevent a lot of problems. Simple ROT from the pioneers of audio:

Pipe expanding toward the terminus = horn
Straight pipe = TL
Pipe narrowing toward the terminus = TQWT

Is there ever!!

Just to show you how nebulous & confusing these these (and others) can be, Baily's TL, and its derivatives (Radford, IMF, TDL, many of the Wireless World & HiFi news diy projects) tapered to narrow at the terminus -- tapering was seen as a key feature of a TL. A TQWT has historically and is most commonly used as a synonym for a voigt pipe. In its broadest sense it encompasses any quarter wave resonantor that has a taper -- positive (gets fatter towards twerminus), negative (gets narrower towards twerminus), or zero (straight pipe)* I still associate the term as a voigt and have just quit using the term because its use as Scott defines is so confusing.

They are all quarter wave resonators and there is indeed a large space of designs were trying to pigeon hole them is tricky,

SO you can see that even the "experts" don't agree. The pigion holes that i have used:

Voigt = TQWT = TQWP = a conical horn expanding from small to large (terminus)
TL = a pipe with taper = 0 or negative

dave

* ((positive, negative, or zero) these can equally well be classified as tapers defined by simple division, taper>1, 0<taper<1, taper=1

the 1st using sign(St-So), the second, taper=St/So

Even there the So & St could be swapped and the definitions would flip,

Reactions: 1 user
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Will the FH3 require or benefit from a rear deflector like the FH1/2? If so, which do you think works better without the deflector in terms of bass output and extension?

That is one of the things that still needs to be determined. The deflector both deflects & increases the length of the horn... with the choke point i expect there is less problem with reflections back into the horn.

It still has great value as a place to put a stealth woofer.

dave