Autoranger for soundcards

I have modified the switching logic so that now the maximum attenuation is -48dB. There will be two software-controlled settings for the nominal output levels to the soundcard input: 1V (0dBV) and -8dBV (which is around 400mV).

That means that with the maximum input level of 100VRMS, the output to the sound card will be either 1VRMS or 0.4VRMS.

Jan

I'm happy to hear this, my QA400 seems to give its optimal noise measurements in the range of 350mv - 450mv input.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Looks interesting, I would love a more flexible output level instead of being fixed to 1Vrms. Is the output the same for balanced and single ended?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The final version will have switchable output levels of either 1V or 0.4V. Software switchable from the front panel.
Bal and SE outputs are the same.

Jan

I use one of these stereo microscopes running with x10 eye pieces and a x1 base lens for smd work. Gives a nice wide field of view with a good distance between base lens and pcb.

I deliberately chose the goose neck led light as its adjustment helps avoid glare off the solder resist. Additionally, the light psu in the base makes it possible to swing the beam backwards, so to speak, without any danger of toppling over to give reach over very large boards...

BM1 longarm

Hth.

It's hard to be a DIY nut. The RTX6001 GB that JensH is running gives a real itch to apply for one too.... but then I keep telling myself that Jan's Autoranger with the RME UCX that I bought some 6 months ago will also take me a long way there and I do not need another thing on top of those.
I just hope the RTX6001 success will not take too many Autoranger customers away to put that project at risk.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Jan, what would need to be repaired for an over-voltaged input, and could that mean a PCB replacement?
Would there be a different outcome for AC versus DC over-voltaged?
Ta, Tim

Not much actually; just a resistor and possibly some clamp diodes. Which I thoughtfully implemented as through-hole ;)
But overvoltage would not be an issue up to several 100 volts AC or DC, so unless you would hang the AR directly on a tube anode, chances of problems are pretty small. Even then, 300 or 400V would cause no damage.

Jan

Ergo,

I think the combination of the Autoranger together with the RTX6001 would be perfect. They are not at all mutually exclusive; both products imo reinforce each other.

Vac

The RTX6001 has ranging built in. It is not auto ranging at this point but could be made to be through access to its uC over its USB interface. Putting an autoranger in front of the RTX6001 will degrade the performance of the device by how much is the question.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Not wanting to brag, but degradation is unlikely. My dScope series III measures the same, with or without the autoranger.
I think there is space for both. I did sign up for an RTX myself. If you have a good soundcard, an autoranger gives you a low cost upgrade to similar performance. We don´t all drive the same car either :cool:

Jan

Can you be a little more clear what you mean by "full range"? The AR has a wider response range than any sound card i know of.

I think I should use the term "full scale". Babyface Pro takes 10Vrms full scale, if I just give it 1V, seems to me I am only using a very small portion of the input unnecessarily. Other single ended sound cards I have are closer to 1V. It seems quite small for balanced Interface. I am wondering what voltage levels other cards use though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Jan,
Ahhh, wrong kind of toys my friend! :eek:

I do think that both could co-exist on the bench, but I doubt the would be connected together. Yours suits sound cards very, very well. They would make the perfect front end for a couple sound cards I bought a few years ago for this purpose.

-Chris

Joined 2004
Paid Member
We were looking at that. I have several pro cards that take +4 levels and can handle 6V typically. What I have discovered and others have verified is that you get better performance at -15 to -20 dBFS in. The converters work better at those levels. Using high res FFT's make seeing into the noise easy. Remember you aren't recording through this interface, just measuring. And its easier to fix than a fried input on the babyface.

What ADC is in the Babyface? I couldn't find info online.