Autoranger for soundcards

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Jan,

At 600 Ohms load the LM4562 LM4562NA/NOPB Texas Instruments | Integrated Circuits (ICs) | DigiKey has much better noise and distortion performance than the OPA2134. The LM4562 comes in the 8DIP package that you can swap in and out of the socket on your PCB. Click on the link above for Digikey quantities available and prices.

DT

I've looked at the 4562 earlier but had issues with offset in my particular circuit. And it was not as good as the '2134.

See attached.

Jan

Attachments

• OPA2107 & OP2134 & LM4562 AP b-b 5k 1V notch fft.pdf
    17.5 KB · Views: 94
Joined 2004
Paid Member
High Z circuits with imbalanced feedback impedances are quiet sensitive to input bias. Low noise gets you to this place. The best might be the LME 49880 but I believe that's history. Some Opamps are better at input bias cancellation. I may be able to roll through an assortment and see what happens. More responsible is to work from the specs instead of hand picked samples.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Demian,
I couldn't agree with you more. Handpicked in order to meet specs was something that was popular in the 70's, and the house numbered parts.

Don't input bias current cancellation circuits add to the noise of the part? That's what I thought was the case.

-Chris

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Scott would be the best input on bias cancellation circuits.

For what its worth in a practical example, on the Boonton input the original design used NE5532's as the input buffers and needed a separate circuit to handle the DC measurement loop. Swapping to LME49710's allowed for removing the separate DC circuit since the bias and offset were low enough to get good results. Mike Lynch (the original designer) confirmed these to me. The datasheet says 7 nA typical, 72 nA max. Its possible an LME49720 could work. I'll try several options and look at DC on the output.

Most soundcards block DC. Many ADC's have an internal selectable DC block. The question is how much DC offset before the performance of a soundcard is compromised.

I guess a valid question is whether the input needs to be DC coupled.

Found this one

Feel free to swap out the OPA1688 for the OPA2172 if you like. Since the 2172 is a bit more expensive you'll be helping us out ;) I admit that I was the applications engineer at the time that had been playing with the 2172 and figured out it made a nice little headphone amplifier. I proposed that we put it in the 3mm x 3mm DFN package to support portable audio applications and the project was off and running.

It was initially a resymbolization but we did change some of the test limits in production (input offset voltage limits are a bit wider) and added some more audio specific characterization to the datasheet. I wouldn't have liked this to be printed on the bag, but these things happen!