Autoranger for soundcards

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Autoranger Update

OK, here's the situation at this moment. I have collected all your comments and suggestions, especially from Demain (thanks Demian) on the output levels.

I have just submitted what I hope will be my last prototype to Eurocircuits (see attached).

I have modified the switching logic so that now the maximum attenuation is -48dB. There will be two software-controlled settings for the nominal output levels to the soundcard input: 1V (0dBV) and -8dBV (which is around 400mV).

That means that with the maximum input level of 100VRMS, the output to the sound card will be either 1VRMS or 0.4VRMS. The software in the controller will be updated so the setting can be changed from the front panel, no need to open the box to change a jumper.
I also increased the input coupling to lower the LF -3dB frequency from 5Hz to below 2Hz.

The other thing, strictly software, will be some improvements to the Vout level display but that has no hardware implications.

I'll keep you updated, as usual. My plan is to start a Kickstarter before the summer, and offer a half-kit (all PCBs with SMD fitted, the box, the SilentSwitcher supply and programmed controller) where you only have to fit the through-hole components and put the assembly together. Of course I will supply a full detailed BoM.
I also plan to offer a complete, fully assembled and calibrated unit if it doesn't get too expensive :)

But keep your comments and suggestion coming nevertheless!

Jan

Attachments

• pcb 4b.PNG
    pcb 4b.PNG
    139.6 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Jan,

great progress!
Would it be possible to offer a bundle with just the bare pcb? I just learned how easy it is to solder smd parts.

Michael

I believe it would be much more expensive. There are a lot of unusual value 0.1% resistors which are relatively expensive in singles or duos. For say 100 pieces that is much different.

Jan

Hi Jan,

Your autoranger looks like a nice solution. But, why DIP for op-amps and not SOIC?

Btw, SOIC>DIP adapters looks so ugly...

Many DIYers still prefer DIPs where the device is available in DIP and space is not an issue. Working with SOIC is a pain for most DIYers, including myself. Jan is wise to include SMC for resistors, etc., as long as he provides them pre-mounted on the PCB.

Cheers,
Bob

AKN

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Many DIYers still prefer DIPs where the device is available in DIP and space is not an issue. Working with SOIC is a pain for most DIYers, including myself. Jan is wise to include SMC for resistors, etc., as long as he provides them pre-mounted on the PCB.

Cheers,
Bob

Hi Bob,

I can understand your point. But, for ultimate performance I believe that we have to adopt SMD where SOIC is the least challenging dual op-amp form factor.

Btw, SMD op-amps can be pre-mounted too.

Regards/ Anders

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Bob,

I can understand your point. But, for ultimate performance I believe that we have to adopt SMD where SOIC is the least challenging dual op-amp form factor.

Btw, SMD op-amps can be pre-mounted too.

Regards/ Anders

However the OPA1622 may be a good choice and they are really DIY hostile. We will see more of this impossible for human packages in the latest generation of parts since the market is cell phones.

However the OPA1622 may be a good choice and they are really DIY hostile. We will see more of this impossible for human packages in the latest generation of parts since the market is cell phones.

Yes, I worked with 0402 resistors and capacitors in my telecommunications day job, and they were sometimes even hard to see for us old buggers. We had a very good technician with a very expensive microscope setup to do rework. We actually had 1uF 0402 ceramic X7R capacitors that could be mounted between the BGA PCB pads of ball grid array ICs for bypassing.

Also, as you pointed out, there are 0201 SMD parts out there, especially in cell phones. They seem at times to be about the size of fly do do.

Cheers,
Bob