Groner's Low noise measurement amp from Linear Audio vol 3 - spare boards?

He means "symmetrical". As noted above, I have never been apprehensive about going from single-ended into a balanced connection. Just the other way around. So if this is a fair phobia (is it?), using the balanced inputs of a sound card is fine for measuring but if you want to use the sound card for stimulus generation and don't want to attach a balanced-single-ended converter on the output maybe it is just better to use the card's single-ended connections for both (with the Juli@ the balanced and single-ended connections aren't available at the same time - you have to chose which ones are to be used).

I just ordered a Brymen BM869 after reading the glowing review on EEVblog. 500,000 counts (!), 0.02% accuracy, built like a brick dunny. I bought it from the TME website in Poland, paid GBP 167 plus shipping.

Thanks for the recommendation. I ordered one from TME at 7pm Warsaw time on Wednesday evening and it arrived early this morning. It's about 30x bigger than the one I have been using (Uni-T UT120A I received for free) and will take me awhile to figure out how to use it properly.

I think I might switch my Juli@ around to single-ended operation and start using it for sinus stimuli rather than my Rigol DG1022.

This preamp is using negative feedback, and the gain is governed by the resistor ratios of R105 and parallel combination of R107-R117.

With 0.1% resistors, if your gain is off by 20%, I would wonder if 2 of your 10R resistors are problematic.

FYI with my brand new Brymen BM869s I measure 1000.3 ohms for R105 and 1.04 ohms for parallel R107-R117.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I ordered one from TME at 7pm Warsaw time on Wednesday evening and it arrived early this morning
I love mine; the only annoyance so far is that current measurements seem to display one digit fewer than the voltage measurements.

I was lucky enough to buy a "DMMcheck" board before the mfr upgraded to DMMcheckPlus at a higher price. Maybe you might want the newer, more feature filled one anyway: link.

Building this with a combination of SMT and through-hole parts.

SG: For the CCS did you consider using the ZTX951 -- while the noise figure isn't mentioned in the datasheet, it measured lowest among BJT's tested in the new edition of "Art of Electronics" at around the current demanded.

I found that in in testing 10 BF862, 9 were a pretty close match.

another thought came to mind -- i remember an Analog Dialog in which they mentioned that they had trouble with modulation on a low noise circuit -- it turns out that they had "clear" signal diodes and that the fluorescent light was slightly modulating their output. So I guess mine (through-hole) will get shrink-wrapped.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I buy the cheap stuff in the crummy drugstores in the low-income area of town. What they hope to sell to 15 year old girls: $1.49/bottle. I have red, blue, and clear. Works very well to lock the knob of a multiturn trimpot in place. They're now selling black too but I haven't bought any.

The difference seems trivial, first run at graphing it. (Both were in the Danish Cookie Tin, but I used clip leads instead of tack soldering -- ergo the line interference).

Attachments

• JungGLED_vs_4x1N4148.png
    JungGLED_vs_4x1N4148.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 512
I built the full 8 BF862 amplifier on protoboard and it works very nicely indeed. I am going to make some boards but incorporate Walt Jung's nifty GLED 2.5V reference (which is a bit quieter than the 4x1N4148 reference) and a cascode DMOS CCS. I might allow for substitution of ZTX951 for the 2SA1312 in Sam's circuit as 8 mA is very close to their sweetspot.

Attachments

• LN_SG_JW Version.png
    LN_SG_JW Version.png
    137.7 KB · Views: 423