EQ1616D Phono Amp

This is probably a long shot, but has anyone one here compared the EQ1616D to a Croft Phono Stage (in the Croft Integrated Phono - thinking about a complete sunvalley setup, to be honest) - that is what I am using right now, and I would like to know how much of an "improvement" (more 3D / holographicness, more tube feel) I can expect from the EQ1616D?

Waiting for my tu8900 to arrive, I assembled an EAR 834p clone I bought off eBay before the world went crazy and it has been sitting in a to-do pile. After assembling it and testing it in my lab rig, I added it to my main rig with 8600s and eq1616d. After 15 minutes, I packed it away. It has poor part quality parts that probably contributed to its over warmth and dull sound, There are threads that go into hundreds of pages when modding the clone but what is the point when the eq1616d has it all in one kit with good parts….. At least I now have a nice chassis that could be used for another project. Chinese tubes I will use for testing new gear but that’s all they good for.

This is probably a long shot, but has anyone one here compared the EQ1616D to a Croft Phono Stage (in the Croft Integrated Phono - thinking about a complete sunvalley setup, to be honest) - that is what I am using right now, and I would like to know how much of an "improvement" (more 3D / holographicness, more tube feel) I can expect from the EQ1616D?

Nobody responded so I will based on my experiences not with Croft even though I have always wanted to hear them based on many positive reviews. So here goes…..

Pretty much given that any built in phono preamp while it might sound good and have built for synergy around the integrated is no match for external/dedicated phono preamp. There has to be comprise in terms of cost and therefore minimal parts and minimal function. As you go up the cost chain, sure, some built in phono preamps will sound better but my experience is you will have to pay a LOT.

Whilst tube audio gear (to my ears) sound more solid state there is the ability to change the sound to your taste by swapping out tubes and if you building kits, you also have ability to change capacitors in the signal path to your liking. This is a slippery slope, you can use the stock caps the creator of kit used or spend big money. I usually use the kit caps to get a feel for the original build then add caps that I like.

You mentioned going all Sun Valley, what speakers are you listening to? That will dictate your amp purchase unless you willing to buy higher efficiency speakers.

I did have issues with the tube sockets and had to cut off the “metal” used as noise filtering to allow my tubes to be inserted and extracted without conjuring super powers, but I appear to be the only one that had this issue. Dare I say, I have fat tubes?

Last edited:
I am in the early stages of building the EQ1616D. As for me...I have upgraded the parts for EQ1616D. While the parts are overall fine...The interconnect wire is too small (26awg?), Tube Sockets, Volume switch, RCA connectors, Caps and Resistors will be upgraded to what I have used in SV-Pre1616D. The films for the EQ1616D will be V-CAP ODAM.

He is my build of the SV-Pre1616D.
Caps: Nichicon PW
Resistors: Takman REX Carbon
Films: Mundorf MCap EVO Oil
Volume: Alps RK27 100kOhms
Terminal: Tag Strips Gold Plated
Hook-Up Wire: DH Labs SH18, OFH20,14,12 PTFE Silver-Plated, AG23,18 Solid Silver
Tube Socket: Audio Note Ceramic 8 Pin UX8 Gold Plated, ConneX 9 Pin Ultra-Premium Ceramic Gold Plated
Solder: Cardas Silver Solder

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Reactions: 1 user
I completed my build a few days ago and want to say a few things.

1. This is a wonderful kit and a real joy to build. I’m not very experienced in DIY (yet), but after building 3 Bottlehead kits this year the SV-EQ1616D was very straightforward. It’s also worth noting that the manual is now 100% in English. I had zero issues and she fired right up passing all checks from the start.

2. Viktor is equally wonderful. I called him Tuesday afternoon and placed my order. He shipped on Wednesday, the kit arrived on Friday and I was listening with a big smile on Monday ��!

3. I’ll withhold thorough impressions until I get more hours on it (I’m familiar with VCaps and how they change over time), but the unit is extremely capable particularly with tube rectification. My chain is VPI Prime Scout w/Ortofon 2M Black => SV-EQ1616D => Bottlehead BeePre2 (Genelex Gold Lion and VCaps) => Belles Aria Monoblocks => Vandersteen Quatro Woods.

Just finished building my phono stage and its burning in as we speak. I would like to echo the sentiment that you should really take your time with this thing. I know how eager we are to have this up and running as soon as possible but the fact is that if you want this to work with no issues you have to put time and thought into your wiring. Mine didn't come out as picturesque as some of the builds I've seen on this forum but I am proud of the final result. I am now looking forward to reacquainting with my Exotica records. Now I am trying to decide if I want to go ahead with a 300B kit and if I do, which one since they all look really good
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I forgot to mention I did get one bad reading. For the MC voltage I got 16.5V not sure if this is just a bad regulator or what but what can I do to fix this?

Attachments

• IMG_4128.jpg
    IMG_4128.jpg
    394.7 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_4119.jpg
    IMG_4119.jpg
    835 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_4123.jpg
    IMG_4123.jpg
    672.6 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_4126.jpg
    IMG_4126.jpg
    587.1 KB · Views: 248
Leaving it on is not enough. You need to play music through it. Build an inverse RIAA filter, and play a cd or stream 24/7 music to it for 2 -3 weeks.

Have to be honest I have also always felt the vcaps were too bright for me right from the get go and pursued the inverse RIAA. After 500 hours it has softened but not enough for my liking and plan to swap it out with more mellow caps. Of course everybody has different tastes and depends on your system.