ES9038Q2M Board

Mod these or upgrade to new boards?

The boards used in the thread sound awful to me in stock form. They are very cheaply designed. The one good thing about them for modding is the PCB layout. The ground plane on the solder side of the board is nearly continuous and unbroken. Close enough anyway. That makes doing a decent job of several good mods possible.
I have no experience with the boards in this very long thread.
I do own the following two Chinese "canned" units based on the 9038q2m.
With the hifime unit, I am using an external USB isolator power unit. With the Breeze unit, a fair-quality external 8v SMPS wall wart is used.
Are these canned DACs worth modding, or should one start over with one of the boards in this thread ? (link to the specific board).
===========
Hifime S2 USB and SPDIF DAC (Sabre ES9038q2m); USD89.00
IMG_0089_recompress.JPG

IMG_20190412_124903_recompress-scaled.jpg

======

eBay "Breeze Audio" from chinaaudiostore: -- $56.00 "Mini ES9038Q2M DAC HiFi XMOS XU208 USB ES9038 DSD DAC Soundcard Headphone Out"

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Hi, if anyone interested, I can provide gerber data / schematics / BOM for an IV stage based on the experience gathered in this group. It can be used as an IV addon for the usual ES9038Q2M boards, and it contains also a few low noise LDOs for every auxiliary functions. As I designed it, I realized, that the only thing I need from the original board is the ES9038Q2M chip itself... So finally I also placed the footprint of this chip as well on this PCB...

Only drawback of this design, that it's not DIY friendly: only for experienced guys with good soldering experience. (SMD only).

It's a small PCB, with 4 layers, 63x92mm, so, quite cheap to produce at JLCPCB (I paid 7$ + postage for 5 pieces).

I have produced one piece for myself, transferred the ES9038Q2M from the original board to this one, sounds quite good, however I cannot measure it without proper equipment. I just run it on DSD signals (AK4137), cannot evaluate PCM.

View attachment 902578

Looks great but is it possible to buy the buy the board With ES9038 and TPS regs soldered?
Can you make the same IV board without regs and Dac chip?

The DAC that retains currently our attention is not one with 4499 in the 900$ bracket or the latest toys. We were very surprised by the SMSL SU-9, using ES9038 PRO. It is quite a move in the right direction and could do the job.

Currently, I figure out that this still affordable DAC could be a nice starting point if we stick to it.

Awesome post, Claude.

I have read that the AKM factory burnt down and hence expect that DACs based on their AKM4499 chipset might be in short supply (in the near term).

I also am looking at DACs that use the ES9038 PRO chipset. I can't afford any of the better R2R or FPGA DACs and in any case, my system is pretty old and "mid-fi" (currently using a Marantz Pearl CD player, Yamaha S2000 amplifier and a pair of RC4 speakers without the active subwoofer designed by Rick Craig of Selah Audio).

I have shortlisted the Gustard X16 and SMSL SU9 as they both fit in my $500-600 budget. Have you had the chance to hear the X16? How does it compare with the SU9?

Is there a way to upgrade the power supply of these DACs from their 5V/1A "SMPS" to a well regulated linear power supply?

This being a DIY forum, I have also considered building my own media player (transport) and DAC using Ian Canada's boards.
IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...
Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Talking about media players I also considered buying a ready-made player (see link below) and upgrading its power supply from a 5V/1A "SMPS" to a well regulated linear power supply. Is there any merit in this approach?

RASPDIGI LTE LVDS V2 Streamer I2S LVDS HDMI Allo Kali Reclocker Audio-GD Compatible - Audiophonics

Hi Navin,

Thanks for your interest :)

Regarding your questions...

I have shortlisted the Gustard X16 and SMSL SU9 as they both fit in my $500-600 budget. Have you had the chance to hear the X16? How does it compare with the SU9?
=> Nope, we didn't try the X16. That could be a contender. I am not sure about the lastest ESS chip "that could be a lower grade version hence not a 9038 PRO par", but then I found out that these chips matter mess than their implementation. The Gustard seems though to offer I2S capabilities... Not sure either about Gustard's reputation, but again, it would be wise to try it and report. At the end what matters most to us is the sonic character/musicality.

Is there a way to upgrade the power supply of these DACs from their 5V/1A "SMPS" to a well regulated linear power supply?
=> I don't think so as both these DACs don't have a 5V/1A SMPS but have a proper 230V feed with then an internal PS (be it SMPS or not). In case of the SU-9 it is not the meager 5V but proper +12V and -12V. There might be other tweaks to apply though, inside and indeed PS related... I started listing them but let's see first if my friend purchases this unit!

On the rest I can't comment

Merry Xmas

Claude

Are these canned DACs worth modding, or should one start over with one of the boards in this thread ?

None of the pics you posted look very suitable for modding, at least not to me.

If you do want to mod an ES9038Q2M board then I would suggest starting with one like we use in this thread. The reason I say that is because the particular board's layout leaves room for you to work. The more densely laid out boards don't have much extra space on them. They usually don't have a very good ground plane on the back side either, and a good ground plane is something really useful to have.

You might try going back post #2795 https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/314935-es9038q2m-board-280.html#post5557498
...maybe read it and then follow the links from there.

Also, there is list of posts of possible interest attached to #2795, but I have an updated version I will attach here.
Huh???!!!! Wha??!!! Jeeezus H. Christ ... let's simply life for once .... so, let's make this multiple choice (please select the best answer):

ES9038 ES9038Q2M DAC Decoder Board Support IIS DSD 384KHz HIFI Newest Version | eBay

YJ-ES9038 Q2M I2S DSD Optical Coaxial Input Decoder USB DAC Headphone Output | eBay

Assembled ES9038Q2M board ES9038 I2S DAC PCM 192K DSD 256 HIFI ELNA caps | eBay

Looks great but is it possible to buy the buy the board With ES9038 and TPS regs soldered?
Can you make the same IV board without regs and Dac chip?

I created it for myself, and soldered it myself. I don't sell it. If you want to implement it, it's up to you, how you want to realize it. As far as I know, there are some services online, where you can order the PCB together with SMD assembly. I did not use such services yet.

It is possible to do partial assembly, therefore you can leave out the DAC and all the regulators, and just use the I/V stage part. Hereby I attach the manufacturing files (the zip containter), what I've sent to JLCPCB for production, use it as you like, choose a suitable PCB production factory.
View attachment ivstage_Fabrication.zip

Note: I designed the PCB for impedance controlled 4-layer PCB, see the layer stackup (strucure of the PCB) drawing inside the fabrication zip file.

Bill of Material Circuit diagram :
View attachment ivstage_BOMcircuitdiagram.zip

Assembly instructions / placement of components / automatic placement file / paste-mask files can be found in the assembly zip file.
View attachment ivstage_assembly.zip

let's simply life for once .... so, let's make this multiple choice (please select the best answer):

You asked for a post to start with and I gave you one. I hope you understand this isn't a kit project.

Of the three boards you linked to, the second one is a version of one that was known to be a cheap knock-off of the recommended one.

Second one linked to:
YJ-ES9038 Q2M I2S DSD Optical Coaxial Input Decoder USB DAC Headphone Output | eBay

The better one we prefer:
ES9038Q2M DAC Decoding Board Coaxial Fiber Audio Decoder Module DSD DOP 384KHz | eBay

That said, either one is probably useable.

Markw4 said:
You asked for a post to start with and I gave you one. I hope you understand this isn't a kit project.

Of the three boards you linked to, the second one is a version of one that was known to be a cheap knock-off of the recommended one.

Second one linked to:

ES9038Q2M DAC Decoding Board Coaxial Fiber Audio Decoder Module DSD DOP 384KHz | eBay

From a learning/educational stand point what is better or worse on the YJ knockoff?

Are the component quality/choices better or worse? [Capacitors? Regulators? Op Amp?]
Is the layout better or worse?
Is the bypassing for the supplies better or worse?

I would like to learn more about what to look for. On an AK4396 I measured yesterday I saw a significant improvement by not modifying the board but instead feeding the board +/-18V from LM317/LM337 instead of AC. The LM317/LM337 DIY kit was only $5 but perhaps it is more effective than enormous capacitors soldered onto the board?

Everything except the dac chip is cheaper on the cheaper board. The PCB quality itself is cheaper. That's how the get the cost down and still make a profit.

That said, even the better board probably sounds best with very extensive rework. Modding one all the way is big, long project. Not a one weekend thing. However, very few people decide to go all the way. They go as far as they want and are satisfied to stop there.

Fantastic UberEats service last night, rfbrw!!

Second one linked to:

Thx for the direct links and suggestions (you're learnin', cowboy, you're L-E-A-R-N-I-N'!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Now, how 'bout this 'thar board .... it seem to be a fax of the board you noted in your earlier post ("SMP CB"):

ES9038 Q2M DAC DSD Decoder Board Support IIS DSD 384KHz Coaxial Fiber DOP New | eBay

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

"How'd ya like dem apples?!!!!!!!!!!"

Everything except the dac chip is cheaper on the cheaper board. The PCB quality itself is cheaper. That's how the get the cost down and still make a profit.

That said, even the better board probably sounds best with very extensive rework. Modding one all the way is big, long project. Not a one weekend thing. However, very few people decide to go all the way. They go as far as they want and are satisfied to stop there.
Right! You bechha!!!!!!!!!
So, show us the latest-n-greatest PICTURES of this q2m project. I.e, the subject of this way-too-overlong thread. All tricked out with daughterboards danglin' all over the place. I'm sure it's sittin' just a smartcamera snap away. Don't be shy, now!!

Do that and TITLE that post "How'd ya like dem apples?!!!!!!!!!!"

It was a very long and involved. I can show you a few pics that are near the final version, but not quite. It was enjoyable to listen to, good enough to sell commercially a high-end professional audio designer friend told me. I said it was way too complicated and would be too much work to reduce down to a sellable form.

EDIT: Just noticed the pic in the middle looks closer to the final version. The LVCMOS to LVDS converter hanging in air in the first pic was moved to a corner of the bottom of the dac board and soldered to the ground plane. It was also given a dedicated voltage regulator.

Attachments

• !1.jpg
    !1.jpg
    808.3 KB · Views: 280
  • !2.jpg
    !2.jpg
    814.1 KB · Views: 283
  • !3.jpg
    !3.jpg
    819.9 KB · Views: 278
Last edited: