Filter brewing for the Soekris R2R

Hehe i have good streaming on roon audio, very complikated system (two pc, 2lps, reclocers etc..) and my new shigariki clone cd plays just a litle better. It is very hard to have good stream when you compare it to good transport. Of corse i can do normal bass traps and rezonators but i dont have space , and my wife... my room is litle overloaded.

Attachments

• 20220303_134041.jpg
    20220303_134041.jpg
    445.8 KB · Views: 129
Hehe i have good streaming on roon audio, very complikated system (two pc, 2lps, reclocers etc..) and my new shigariki clone cd plays just a litle better. It is very hard to have good stream when you compare it to good transport. Of corse i can do normal bass traps and rezonators but i dont have space , and my wife... my room is litle overloaded.
You can use a combination of FIR en IIR filters in the Soekris.
The 4k (4096) filter taps are the limitation that is preventing you from using FIR on low frequency's.
So you can FIR all the corrections above +/- 200hz. And use the Biquad for the correction <200hz.

Reactions: 1 user
I recently put the current revision DAM1021 into my ANK 2.1B DAC to replace the AD1865/ CS8412 digital board. The ANK board is limited to 96/24, so getting higher resolution playback was the end goal. It was really pretty easy to do. The only change is the DAM1021 and the SPDIF input circuit. The raw output on the DAM1021 had to be padded down. I tried reducing the voltage via the digital volume control, but, from a sound quality perspective, much prefer the padded output. I am really pleasantly surprised with the result, more detailed and better low frequency extension than the AD1865. But the stock filters are a bit bright, add some slight sibilance to female voices leading to less enjoyable extended listening.

I want to try some of the custom “NOS” filters in this thread. I have read much of this thread over the last couple of weeks, and quite honestly the technical aspects are way over my head. It seems the TNT and gumisb filters are favorites. If I am reading correctly, the gumisb filters only support redbook, but, again, I may be misreading. I would appreciate recommendations for a NOS filter, support to 192/24 and as close to actual NOS as possible with the Soekris input upscaling.

I mostly listen jazz, classical, (mostly symphonic), female vocals. My system amplification is all tube, (SET 300B). Digital is all streamed thought an Auralic Aries from Qobuz and my NAS. Speakers are very much "upgraded"1960's EV Sentry IV 3-way horn system.

What filter(s) would you recommend?

Cheers,
Geary

Different approach to reconstruction. This time first stage is NOS on all filters F4-F7. Tweaking is done on second stage with FIR2 filters. It’s more subtle focused on tonal balance, dimensions, musicality and overall coherency of perceived sound. All are oscillating around same target. Anti-aliasing/imaging done by IIR filters. Unfortunately all filters are ca. -12dB lower than original filters. Manual gain compensation command would be a nice feature in future firmware release.
Do these filters work on all sampling frequencies?

Cheers,
Geary

Unfortunately no. All my filters are 44.1 / 48kHz.

What is yours dam revision?
Thanks gumisb, My is board rev. 7. I was excited about this set of filters because they are NOS and the lower volume. I had to pad down the output of my board. I put the board into an ANK DAC2.1B, replacing the AD1865 board. I have too much gain with the I/V transformers/tube/cap output. Definitely still refining the implementation. The -12dB would have been a blessing.

Cheers,
Geary

So I have read, and reread, the numerous posts, blogs and guides on how to load custom filters. I read @TNT 's explanation about the odd naming protocols. I was able to download a custom filter into uManager, (29+30). I still cannot get the custom filters to load as the active set.

I see several entries that follow the "Linear", etal... naming protocol. I am assuming that all of the entries, except 29 and 30, are stock filters installed at Soekris. Entries 29 and 30 are the filters that I want to try. How do I select them? I tried "#filters [29]" but that just returned a prompt. How do I determine the currently implemented filter set? How would I delete unwanted filter entries? The "dump flash content" is a bit risky for me to try, given my lack of experience with the DAM1021 uManager.

Here is a screen print of what I am seeing in uManager.

uManager.jpg

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
It's a "bank" that you activate. The banks are:

04, 05, 06 and 07

they contain filters for all supported sampling speeds, thats why there are mor than one. Filters belonging to same bank has same number in that printout. Other filters in list are not user controllable. Forget them :)

29 will remove any dc component in digital stream and is always on if present in that printout
30 would be activated if a certain bit is present on s/pdif

Now read my other description again :)

//

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 user
Really? You perceive 192/24 as materially better than 96/24?
Well. actually, yes! My perception is that there is music on Qobuz to which I want to listen, but cannot do so due to the higher resolution that the ANK will not play. Not to hard to differentiate between no music and music. My primary musical sources are still analog, but streaming is getting better all the time.