Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

The Well Tempered Master Clock - Building a low phase noise/jitter crystal oscillator
The Well Tempered Master Clock - Building a low phase noise/jitter crystal oscillator
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th April 2017, 08:38 PM   #1501
gabor80 is online now gabor80  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Sorry to say but the 45Mhz board has very same problem. Sometime it starts the good 45Mhz sometimes 49.182 Mhz. But in tis case it is not changed when I touched the base with sold. iron, It starts 45 or 49 Mhz randomly...
Old 28th April 2017, 10:42 PM   #1502
andrea_mori is offline andrea_mori  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabor80 View Post
Sorry to say but the 45Mhz board has very same problem. Sometime it starts the good 45Mhz sometimes 49.182 Mhz. But in tis case it is not changed when I touched the base with sold. iron, It starts 45 or 49 Mhz randomly...
Next week I'll investigate...
The BOM for 45/49 MHz SC-Cut Driscoll oscillator does not include a trap to suppress the unwanted B-mode oscillation because all the crystals I did test (previous batch) started at the right C-mode frequency.
I have not tested the last batch, maybe they are a little different from the previous batch, and so they need the trap, like all other SC-cut crystals.
I'll test the only one I own from the last batch (all other have been already shipped).
Old 29th April 2017, 05:44 AM   #1503
diyAudio Member

Thanks. I tested it at night, the heat of the soldering iron to the transistor base its jumping to the good 49 frequency, and the heat to the collector or emitter jumps to 53Mhz. (or I touch the C3 pins around). The other 45Mhz crystal just randomly jump, when I turn on-off. is the transistor good for here? The datasheet says its Hfe is just 100 around.

Is anyone who ordered the last group buy a 45 or 49 Mhz driscoll, trying the board?
Experienced anyone other this problem too?

(The AT cut clapp board is running perfect I try that too.)
Old 29th April 2017, 05:23 PM   #1504
diyAudio Member

I tried the 11Mhz AT cut board connected to the Ian's Fifo. It updated a NZ2520SD crystal. Very good sound, very tranparent, detailed soundstage, precise highs, nice lows, much better than NZ crystal
Old 6th May 2017, 02:59 PM   #1505
diyAudio Member

Default 45/49 MHz Sc-cut crystals issue

After some investigations...

the 45/49 MHz SC-cut crystals of the last batch seem to be different from these of the of the previous batch, so they start randomly at B-mode instead of C-mode (49 MHz instead of 45 MHz and 53 MHz instead of 49 MHz).

To avoid this issue the above crystal need a trap to suppress the unwanted B-mode and start at the right frequency, like all other SC-Cut crystals at different frequencies. The capacitor C3 in the schematic does the job.
BTW, in order to avoid overdriving the crystal because of the adding of the capacitor C3, a few components value have to be changed: C2, R1, R2.

Moreover the BFR182 seems to be too sensitive, so it was deleted from the BOM. I have tried several MMBT5179 and they work fine with SC-Cut crystals from 22 up to 49 MHz, so it can be used without any selection.

Follows the update BOM.

Last edited by andrea_mori; 6th May 2017 at 03:04 PM.
Old 6th May 2017, 03:02 PM   #1506
diyAudio Member

Default Updated schematics, PCBs, BOMs and Assembly guide

Updated schematics, PCBs, BOMs and Assembly guide

Attached the assembly guides of all the boards available. They contain the schematic of each board, the BOM to source the parts and the instructions to build each circuit.

TWTMC-D assembly guide was updated about 45/49 MHz SC-cut crystals.

- TWTMC-C: Colpitts-Clapp oscillator revised
- TWTMC-D: Driscoll oscillator revised
- TWTMC-P: Pierce oscillator
- TWTMC-AIO: Dual Driscoll oscillator with power supply
- TWTMC-D&D: daughter board (power supply, dividers, and so on) revised to supply the Driscoll oscillator and the oven board
- TWTMC-OVN: oven board for SC-Cut crystals Driscoll oscillator
- TWTMC-DIL: DIL adapter for Ian's Fifo board
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TWTMC-C.pdf (533.2 KB, 764 views)
File Type: pdf TWTMC-D.pdf (818.1 KB, 882 views)
File Type: pdf TWTMC-P.pdf (700.9 KB, 456 views)
File Type: pdf TWTMC-AIO.pdf (660.6 KB, 488 views)
File Type: pdf TWTMC-D&D.pdf (663.3 KB, 509 views)
File Type: pdf TWTMC-OVN.pdf (752.3 KB, 498 views)
File Type: pdf TWTMC-DIL.pdf (452.7 KB, 419 views)
File Type: pdf TWRPS-pp_micro.pdf (348.9 KB, 410 views)
Old 7th May 2017, 12:39 PM   #1507
diyAudio Member

Thanks Andrea! So I will buy the parts what needed for change.
Have you tried listening test since the last test in 2016? You have compared AT cut crystals with Pierce and Driscoll type board. Did you compare AT vs SC Cut crystals at same type board?
Old 7th May 2017, 01:16 PM   #1508
Eldam is offline Eldam  France
Banned

Hello Andrea,

Does the new BOM apply to the first historical batch of AT crystals and PCB I have, or should have I to upgrade some pcbs ?

kind regards from France,

Eldam
Old 7th May 2017, 04:47 PM   #1509
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabor80 View Post
Thanks Andrea! So I will buy the parts what needed for change.
Have you tried listening test since the last test in 2016? You have compared AT cut crystals with Pierce and Driscoll type board. Did you compare AT vs SC Cut crystals at same type board?
No more listening test, too little free time.

I hope to know the impressions of the users.
Old 7th May 2017, 04:50 PM   #1510
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldam View Post
Hello Andrea,

Does the new BOM apply to the first historical batch of AT crystals and PCB I have, or should have I to upgrade some pcbs ?

kind regards from France,

Eldam
Hi Eldam,

if I remember right you got the TWTMC-C board, nothing was changed for this board.
In the meantime there are 2 more oscillator boards, the TWTMC-D Driscoll oscillator and the TWTMC-P Pierce oscillator.

Andrea

The Well Tempered Master Clock - Building a low phase noise/jitter crystal oscillatorHide this!Advertise here!