Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

I don't see a way for this board to be used for audio. It's just a USB-to-GPIO "adapter" - no relation whatsoever to I2S.
Well, the I2S or DATA, BCK and LR which is the I2S signal package comes via the output pins. This will happen if you are using any SBC (Single board computer) or S/PDF, USB or Ethernet converter. FIFO_PI needs the I2S package and don't care what source it is.
So therefore, using the RTK.GPIO would work - but internal USB to I2S is simpler.

Since I'm rather late to the party, what I bring up has probably been mentioned earlier. I know using a PC instead of a RPi has been mentioned and since the RPi has the unique GPIO interface which Ian is using for his products,
I wasn't sure how to interpret the use of a PC, you know, to fully bypass the RPi. So I found one.

Ryanteck RTk.GPIO

circa €12

Bring the world of physical computing to your PC or Mac by adding GPIO to your PC Or Mac with the Ryanteck RTk.GPIO!
The RTk.GPIO is a Plug & Play USB Device which adds 28 x Raspberry Pi style GPIO pins to your computer!

Compatible with Windows, Mac and Linux this board allows you to add GPIO to your computer.
The RTK GPIO board allows you to connect the world of physical computing to you desktop PC or laptop.
The RTK GPIO board emulates the original Raspberry Pi 40-pin GPIO header allowing you to program for the Raspberry Pi on your computer.
The board is fully compatible with Windows, Mac OS and Linux and supports a range of programming languages such as Python, Java and also use with Scratch.

The Ryanteck RTk.GPIO Features:

- Adds 28 GPIO to your computer
- Powered over USB
- Compatible with Windows, Mac & Linux
- Ideal for learning about electronics using real-world inputs & outputs.
- Use it to control LEDs, Add a LCD display to your computer, control a robot or more! (Example projects require other components to create.)
- Compatible with most Raspberry Pi add-ons that use GPIO, this device is ideal to use with your exsisting add-ons, HATs or pHATs.
- Compatible with Windows 7, 8 & 10. OSX 10.11, macOS 10.12, Ubuntu 16.04, Raspbian & other major linux distributions

Ryanteck/RTK.GPIO at master * PiSupply/Ryanteck * GitHub

What I envision is to use something like Gigabyte GA-J3455N-D3H or Supermicro X11SAAand internally connect the RTK.GPIO directly to an empty USB port on the motherboard.
This together with Ian's Reclocker platform and Andrea Mori clocks should be among the better options out there.

Any comments ??????

(Supermicro X11SAA is what Innuos is using)

You can use a BridgePi to work with a PC as a Pi free application.
DocumentDownload/Adapters/BridgePi at master * iancanada/DocumentDownload * GitHub

Ian

Well, the I2S or DATA, BCK and LR which is the I2S signal package comes via the output pins. This will happen if you are using any SBC (Single board computer) or S/PDF, USB or Ethernet converter. FIFO_PI needs the I2S package and don't care what source it is.
So therefore, using the RTK.GPIO would work - but internal USB to I2S is simpler.

No, it would not work.

This board is based on the STM32F030 uC and since it doesn't support I2S, there is no way that the board can support it.

But even if the STM32F030 could support I2S, there is still the issue that the CH341 that is used to communicate with the PC is a simple UART chip, supporting serial communication at the usual (and very low) serial port rates.

I bought the new FifoPi Q3 board and I am using AS318B Femto Clocks (90M & 98M) with it. As a Dac board I use the
ES9038Q2 as Dac. And on top of it I installed the GPIO terminator KIT. I put the DAC in sync mode as described in the manual:
1. Installing a FifoPi between the RaspberryPi and the 9038Q2MPi DAC (see FifoPi user’s manual for installation and configuration details).
2. Installing a pair of really nice clocks into the FifoPi according to your personal preference. The quality of these clocks is very important to the sound quality and sonic signature.
3. Connecting the MCLK signal from the FifoPi to J6 on the 9038Q2MPi using a u.fl coaxial cable. Cable length should be as short as possible.
4. Setting pin1 of jumper switch S2 to ‘ON’ position.
5. Setting DPLL bandwidth to lowest level 1 for both PCM and DSD in the ESS Controller, at the "DPLL Bandwidth' setting panel (see ESS Controller manual for configuration details).
6. Power up and enjoy the music.

But now whenever I play a DSD source after a short while the right channel gets distorted. Only when setting the bandwith to 5 instead of 1 there is no distortion. With the 'old' FifoPi v1 board DSD sources played fine with the GPIO terminator kit. What has changed in the FifoPi Q3 board so that I no longer can play DSD files with the DPLL Bandwith for DSD set to 1?

@big bird

Q3 uses higher speed drivers for lower jitter with faster rising edges. The signal strength and driving current could be higher then Q1. Maybe you need to change the Terminator board resistor values to match.

Please try ReClockPi for a much better I2S/DSD signal quality.

I myself use the FifoPi Q3 + ReClockPi combination with 90/98 MHz XOs everyday. I have no any problem playing DSD at bandwidth 1.

Regsards,
Ian

Last edited:
ReClockPi has yielded a very nice improvement in my system Ian. I’m using Pi >> FifoPi (Pulsar clock) >> ReClockPi into a 4-board DDDAC. It has exceeded my expectations and there’s a clear difference going back to just FifoPi.

Do you hear any difference using a separate power supply for the ReclockPi? I intend to try this later in the week.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Do you hear any difference using a separate power supply for the ReclockPi? I intend to try this later in the week.[/QUOTE]

Hello,
Again , Manual says it can be upgraded with its own 3,3 volt supply lol
As written elsewhere i will install an aluminium ''board '' mounted with the 4 stand off pattern available on the reclockpi to mount 3 3,3 V UcHybrid boards. One for Fifopi. one for the twp STS boards and one for the Reclockpi.
I think this will be better than having these boards mounted on top of the lifepo4 board. It will be a bit of a hassle to do it right but i can manage it. Using solid silver magnetic wire will be used if it soldering joints are accessible.
Greetings, Eduard

ReClockPi has yielded a very nice improvement in my system Ian. I’m using Pi >> FifoPi (Pulsar clock) >> ReClockPi into a 4-board DDDAC. It has exceeded my expectations and there’s a clear difference going back to just FifoPi.

Do you hear any difference using a separate power supply for the ReclockPi? I intend to try this later in the week.

Great news :)

That's a great news.

ReClockPi improves the I2S/DSD signal quality. That was clearly shown in the measurement result in the user's manual.
DocumentDownload/ReClockPi at master * iancanada/DocumentDownload * GitHub

DAC's like DDDAC that are very sensitive the the I2S signal quality will be benefited a lot from ReClockPi.

My ES9038Q2M Dual Mono DAC even got better sound quality after RCP was installed. I believe it was because of the lower I2S/DSD signal noise.

Good luck to your project.
Ian

It's werking perfectly.
Difference immediately noticeable.

Now with clean 3.3v of the fifopi q2.

Later on it will get separate power.

Thanks Ian for the good work.

Sitting on stationpi, recriverpi, fifopi q2, reclockpi feeding tda2541a s1

All separate power supplies.

Regards,
Ad. 20210511_185057.jpg