Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

The SC=Pure has no half moon, but does indicate the pin numbers:
Pin 1 is the de-bossed circle ⭕️ in top left corner. Circled in blue here

Attachments

• IMG_8747.png
    IMG_8747.png
    575.8 KB · Views: 118
Reactions: 1 user
But I want to make sure that I remove the stock 45 and not the stock 49 before inserting the SC-Pure 45 -- so I still have to figure that out...

Hi,

Just back home.

I looked on both sides and there is nothing on the original clocks on the FifoPiQ7 that could tell which is 45 or 49. I have stored them in the SC-Pure boxes (SC-Pure are installed now) but I cannot tell them apart.

Wish I could help you more…

I was doing some tweaking to install a little sorbotane sheet between the clock and its socket and it was too thick for one of the clock, only one was working. I guess if you have only one installed in the Q7, you will be able to figure out which one is installed on the MonitorPi display?

My two cents.

Hello,

does someone know more about the power trigger input/outputs of the ian canada power supply modules?

i had the idea of a proper power switch for the raspberry pi, which mostly means starting/stopping/resetting with one button (like on normal PC`s) controlled with a microcontroller and since we already use a microcontroller also a fancy combined power/activity LED via RGB
i might publish gerber files for the board later on if someone is interested

this module could also implement power trigger in/out, thats why im curious how they are implement on the ian canada boards, so i can make it combatible
tho im not sure yet how practicable this is, it was just a idea since im working on the power button thing
I'd be highly interessted in some information on that as well as I plan to send a shutdown signal to the raspi side first and then (with an appropriate delay) shut down the linearpiMKII, 4x in master-slave configuration:
  • 1x raspi 5VDC
  • 1xFifoPiQ7 and ES9038Q2 5VDC
  • 2x OPA861IV +/- 5VDC )
all mounted on a StationPiPro
All of that with one button push. RGB might not be necessary :)

I'm currently designing following:

1. RPI is continuously supplied by 5V
2. push button: after 3second pressing:
= trigger to shield pi to start up RPI
= mains supply to PSU for Fifopi Q7 + DAC + IV
3. When startup trigger comming from shieldpi pro
= switch on output signal relais.
4.another short push button actions is disconnecting relais + shutting down RPI + swithching off PSU (exluding 5 V for RPI).

Circuit is as we speak breadborded, but still work in progress using simple flip-flop, schmitt trigger and some gates.

So here is my first DIY attempt: a streamer using StationPi Pro, FifoPi Q7, SC-Pure 45MHz, HDMIPi Pro. PurePi II and UcConditioner II 3.3V:

1699459847855.png

I am planning to build this in a Streacom case that is now otherwise unused. The modules are mounted to a bamboo board that will rest on rubber dampers inside the Streacom.

For the PurePi's USB-C input I ordered an iFi iPower X 5V/3A. In the meantime I thought I'd already charge the PurePi's batteries and capacitors, using a 5V/2A switching PS. However, when I do this I hear a soft click, and then nothing. No LEDs light up. Is this normal? Maybe because I do not meet the 2.5A requirement?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Reactions: 1 user
P S I think this answers it:
If D11 doesn’t light up when USB power input is plugged, it means either the USB power cable is too long
or the USB power adapter doesn’t deliver enough output current. You can fix the issue by replacing with a
good USB power cable or a good power adapter.

So I will await the iFi, due tomorrow...

So here is my first DIY attempt: a streamer using StationPi Pro, FifoPi Q7, SC-Pure 45MHz, HDMIPi Pro. PurePi II and UcConditioner II 3.3V:

View attachment 1232431
I am planning to build this in a Streacom case that is now otherwise unused. The modules are mounted to a bamboo board that will rest on rubber dampers inside the Streacom.

For the PurePi's USB-C input I ordered an iFi iPower X 5V/3A. In the meantime I thought I'd already charge the PurePi's batteries and capacitors, using a 5V/2A switching PS. However, when I do this I hear a soft click, and then nothing. No LEDs light up. Is this normal? Maybe because I do not meet the 2.5A requirement?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Today I finished the streamer build, and the iFi iPower X 5V/3A arrived so that I could hook it up:
1699556175860.png

Small miracle: there was music instantly :)

Now I want to make DSD work. I hooked up the MUTE/DSD cable between the FifoPi and the HDMIPro and tried the usual HAT suspects. However in moOde DSD plays with some white noise added and still in PCM format. Now I read somewhere in this thread that RPi cannot do DSD but that would surprise me as my other streamer (Afterdark Rosanna) is RPi4 based and plays DSD512 without problem. Any suggestions?

In the meantime I will try with GentooPlayer...

Reactions: 1 users
Good morning to you all,

It is maybe buried somewhere in these 500+ pages but who can guide me in the right direction.

I am looking for a high-quality SPDIF signal into my Lyngdorf TDAI-1120.

As a "basic" solution I suppose the TransportPi Digi will be a starting point.

Going up the ladder I think the TransportPi AES will deliver a better SPDIF out compared to the TP Digi.
Do I really need the FifoPiQ7 or does the FifoPiMa already deliver significant improvement with the AES compared to the Digi ?
Or do I have to bite the bullet and buy the Q7 anyway with the AES?

I realise going for the absolute best with even the SC-Pure clocks and power supply options the additional components to be added to the RPi4 can really cost you and the 1.000 EUR mark is easily reached.

My alternative plan is to use the USB out to a Shiit Eitr end feed the SPDIF to my Lyngdorf.
I have a RPI4 4 Gb (new) and a BeagleBone Black (use this for many years with the Botic driver having I2S out to a Soekris DAC) but skipped the Soekris since I have the Lyngdorf and need a digital out.
The Botic driver makes it possible to have SPDIF out from the BBB, this is what I use now.

So spending a lot of money just to be able to compare the USB route (RPi4 or BBB) to the IanCanada offerings (on RPi4) keeps me from hitting the "Buy Now" button.

Who can guide me in the preferred parts/combinations with some information about the different price levels compared to the expected performance gains.

Thank you.

Still troubleshooting my streamer build:
  • StationPi Pro
  • FifoPi Q7
  • HDMIPi Pro
  • PurePi II
  • UcConditioner II 3.3V
With both moOde and GentooPlayer I get music, however the first few seconds of the track are missing after hitting Play. Any idea why that is?
Can it be remedied by changing a FifoPi setting?

(I am reluctant to break things open to change its jumper settings; maybe I should add a MonitorPi...)