Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

^^^^
They are supplied with 3V power, which makes the crystal or clock component vibrate at its set frequency. Then the DAC or re-clocker uses this 'pulse' from the clock to know when to read the bits in the encoded music stream at the proper time to decode the music. The more accurate the clock, the less "shifting" of the bits which leads to better musicality.

Reactions: 1 users
Metronome is a great analogy.
The metronome plays the beat whether the musician is in the room or not. Same with the clock in the FIFO. It doesn't know/care if a DAC is attached or playing.
The more accurate the beat of the metronome the more true the musician plays the score. Same with clock/FIFO only exaggerated 45 million times.

Reactions: 1 user
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
This would imply that just let the clocks be connected to the power supply would be sufficient. Music or no music the clock will tick on the mantelpiece.
What is happening during acoustic feedback will the ticking be out of tune?
I am sure some nice test can be developed.
Greetings Eduard

FWIW, I have been through four layers of clocks, each with improved phase noise.
IMHO, all things considered, improved phase noise results in improved digital sound proportional to the phase noise.
That said, it is important to note two things.
Not everyone sees it for many reasons, and there also are other variables that can more than offset these subtle differences.
Many things in the digital chain can mess with the sound with bigger impact than the phase noise spec of your clock. I have struggled with ufl connectors and even SMA connectors. But when you get it right, everything contributes in the same way. Less digititis. More analogue. Better micro detail. All contributing to a natural deeper expression of the recorded sound. To me well worth the effort. But always on that thin margin that is important to some of us and imperceptible to others. To me its essential.. but do not expect to lay down your money and have a transformative experience. Sometimes yes, and sometimes no.
Indeed, there are many transformational changes to be had in digital audio other than with clocks. Those less intuitive/anticipated include vibration isolation of switches/routers, vibration absorbtion of their linear power supplies and platforms, LAN cables, cable pads from AAI.SK, multiple reclocking of the digital stream, audio protocol, kernel/OS of RPi, contact enhancers on the right places, carefully chosen local grounding points/paths and others..
It never ceases to amaze me, what can be achieved just in the digital domain :love:

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
I remember when i build the Hiraga moving coil pre amplifier he wrote that because the signals are so small the fluctuations in its power supply should be even smaller.
So i presume if the clock is ticking that many beats its power supply should be rock steady because if it fluctuates there will be beats missing or arriving to late.
Should it be regarded this way?
Digital audio reproduction is infested with more gimmicks than the old fashioned state of the art turntable. AND they dont come cheap.
Greetings, Eduard
P.s Of course to take full advantage you need high efficiency loudspeakers like the ones in the attachment.

Attachments

• IMGP9520.JPG
    IMGP9520.JPG
    380.1 KB · Views: 61
Yes. We feed it with a separate clean 3.3v supply for that part of the FiFoPiQ7 board…..in my case from PurePi which is an isolated battery supplied circuit with ultra capacitor. I don’t know how it all works but idea is it’s completely separate from any mains power feeding the power supply board.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I don’t know how it all works
Hello,
Sometimes that is very good because you will be less biased.
About 40 years ago i was working on a linear power supply for a tube pre amplifier.
I had used a tube rectifier for some years already and i knew i had to add some extra resistance after the rectifier to make it last longer.
I tried a few wirewounds i had in stock but i hadnt the recommended value. I just had bought some General Electric military grade chokes for 50 dollarcents a piece ( new old stock) and one of them had the right DCR so i used that one.
Did not use my multimeter because the dcr was exactly in between the two resistors i tried before. Of course after the rectifier before the first cap it is still AC so bigger voltage drop.
I connected my preamp and went shopping and played some records and it sounded like NEVER before.
A few days later i mounted the choke in a more secure way and i checked voltages with my multimeter. They were way different than what i expected. But the sound was perfect so i kept it like this.
Later i learned i had created my first choke input power supply. Then i knew whenever possible i would use a choke input supply. So now i am biased about choke input.
Greetings, eduard

Hi all, question about the ultra capacitors and UcPure III

Althouth I have read Ian's manuals several times, it is not clear to me which ultracapacitors to choose for the SC-Pure clocks.

I need 3,3V. Every combination from 2 caps (2.7,2.85,3,0) would do.

Please advice. Thank you!

rgrds Jan

I want to use the continuous output of the PurePi for the clean 3.3 v side of the FifiPiMa.

when I measure the continuous output it reaches a maximum of 3.48 volts, is this voltage too high for FifoPiMa or does it drop slightly when it is under load?

in other words can I use this voltage?

thanks.

First impression of the SC clocks after a few ours. Bass is to die for,tigh and clean. Midrange and treble needs more time to settle down. Upper midrange is to sharp. I wonder how long it takes before they will start to realy shine.
Looking forward to more listening impressions from other members.

Reactions: 2 users
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
And after switching of for a few hours you will have to be patient again?
Could Ian offer the clocks with burn in service already executed?
In the past I knew people using a fridge to burn in their loudspeaker cables.
Because it seems to be a part that can bring your set to the next level EVERYTHING should be tried to make it even better. Just like in the old days with turntables.
Greetings, Eduard