Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

I’m getting questions on my setup. See picture. I built a streamer and a DAC connected by i2S.
I have default clocks on the FiFoPiQ7 on the streamer and I have SC-Pure installed to the DAC FiFoPiQ7 right under the DAC board (removed clock) and the OPA861 (an excellent output board OMG)

IMG_8327.jpeg

It sounds crazy good. Letting the SC-Pures burn in another several days. It’s only been 3.

Hi all,

Please measure the 5v voltage drop from the supercapacitor when playing and when it goes up again.
I measure 4.39 volt drop then it goes up again.
I am curious how your measurements are.
I measure the 5 volt to the raspberry pi because this one uses the most power.
Later this week I will measure the 5 voltage drop from the supercapacitor to the fifopi q7.

Regards,
Rudy

I’m getting questions on my setup. See picture. I built a streamer and a DAC connected by i2S.
I have default clocks on the FiFoPiQ7 on the streamer and I have SC-Pure installed to the DAC FiFoPiQ7 right under the DAC board (removed clock) and the OPA861 (an excellent output board OMG)

View attachment 1216301

It sounds crazy good. Letting the SC-Pures burn in another several days. It’s only been 3.
This system is blowing my mind. And I’m not even done yet. I wish there was a way to ‘show’ sound to people over the net 🤣

Hi all,

Please measure the 5v voltage drop from the supercapacitor when playing and when it goes up again.
Later this week I will measure the 5 voltage drop from the supercapacitor to the fifopi q7.

Regards,
Rudy
Hi, if you use supercapacitors to feed the pi the current is too high. With Raspberry pi 4 there is a very short time in clean mode.

Reactions: 1 user
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
The RPI clean side wont consume much current so the supercaps should provide a rock steady supply voltage and drain gradually until the Ucpure board decides it is charging time again.
The raspberry takes extra current during start up and i think it would be sensible to let the Raspberry board just do things related to music and not be the indirect power supply to Christmas tree items aka a big screen.
Greetings, Eduard

Hi, if you use supercapacitors to feed the pi the current is too high. With Raspberry pi 4 there is a very short time in clean mode.
Hi all,

Regards,
Rudy
I think your toroid for charging have not enough amperage. Look rather small on your pictures,so that`s why you have voltage drop.Ian recommend 3,5 A or bigger,and in same time you have a Raspberry pi 4 with high current draw.Pure mode is not going to happen or very short time.You can try change jumper S5 to open mode for power supplys delivers 1,5A ,perhaps it helps.

I think your toroid for charging have not enough amperage. Look rather small on your pictures,so that`s why you have voltage drop.Ian recommend 3,5 A or bigger,and in same time you have a Raspberry pi 4 with high current draw.Pure mode is not going to happen or very short time.You can try change jumper S5 to open mode for power supplys delivers 1,5A ,perhaps it helps.
If separate windings you can put them in pararell mode for double amperage,but be careful .You have to connect phase to phase and zero to zero secondary windings.Or one winding secondary jumper S5 in open mode on Ucpure for 1,5A.If you look specification,the wires with a black dot is phase.I personally should choose a high quality linaer powersupply or batteries together with Ucmateconditioner 5V,because of high current.

If separate windings you can put them in pararell mode for double amperage,but be careful .You have to connect phase to phase and zero to zero secondary windings.Or one winding secondary jumper S5 in open mode on Ucpure for 1,5A.If you look specification,the wires with a black dot is phase.I personally should choose a high quality linaer powersupply or batteries together with Ucmateconditioner 5V,because of high current.
Ok, now i see.Try to put S5 to open mode and see what happends.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Ultrapure and the big supercaps is perfect for low power consumers like the onboard clocks on FiFoPi Q7.
I don’t think I would have used them on a Rasberry.
Hello,
Exactly, i will be using the Ucpi circuit which has two 100F in series so 50F total! A bit strange that it is never mentioned that putting the caps in series to establish a higher total voltage rating wil seriously effect the number of F. Doede's blog clearly mentions it while using a few ultracaps in series.
The Ucpi manual states it is not recommended to add more ultracaps to the ones present on the circuit board. If you connect a 2A to the caps and switch of the power supply they will be empty in a split second. Unless you would have a cap the seize of an oil barrel you will need a power supply being connected to a 120/230 ac volts wall outlet all the time.
With the clean side and ucpure you could create a supply functioning 99 % of the time without being connecting to the AC outlet. No use to create something that needs to be connected to AC for recharging most of the time during actual musical enjoyment.
There is some info to be found online about current being drawn by Raspberry circuits. The general idea is that during start up it needs a beefy supply and the power needed will continue to be higher if you also use the usb connector to supply current to all kind of connected devices.
I connected my raspberry to 5 volt 2A on the big life po4 board and once i have done the metalwork i will connect it to the Ucpi described pages ago.
But still thinking about a way to mount my stack in a way that will offer better isolation against vibrations than adding spikes.
Greetings, eduard