Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

@Ian Canada or other Member
Could you please advise, Are we good to use below Type C adapter (input and output specs marked) to power PurePi/PurePiII or RPi3B+/RPi4B?
looking at 5V 2A I am thinking it should be fine with out any challenges.... need inputs from experts please. Thanks,
1694100491897.png

Hmm when exactly do you need 3 amps for Rpi4?

Me during normal operation, I need just 0.3 amps for Rpi3 and around 0.5-0.6A for Rpi4.
During the highest load when also recharging batteries of PurePi, I haven't seen going it upwards 1.5A, more like 1.3A (and this is with one network switch connected to this measured 5V rail).

This adapter got Smart Voltage technology : Its PD technology automatically detects and delivers 5V/2A,9V/2A ,15V/3A or 20V/3.25A as per the requirement, tested and reliable....
Looking at output option of 5V/2A, I also thought must be sufficient to serve PurePi/PurePiII or RPi3B+/RPi4B power scenarios. but thought of checking with expert members here before taking steps.
reason for me to look at this option is, if it fits and support well then I think it's quality will be much better than the normal RPi power adapters. It gives me the power including ground connection. Till I plan for linear power supply, as I am already having this, thought of utilizing this instead of normal cheap ones. please advise.

Last edited:
That voltage detection probably works by a resistor on the USB-C socket. You can try what it puts out with the USB-C connector removed. Usually 5V but that is not guaranteed. Anyway, I do not really understand why you are adamant on hooking up a SMPS to a PurePi when you are looking for ultra-clean power. Power networks with a SMPS supply can be very clean but most would look to some linear regulator.

Edit: 2.5A indeed is recommended for RPi particularly during start-up, or the voltage may sag and cause hiccups. During continuous operation power draw should indeed be much lower.

Reactions: 1 user
Hmm when exactly do you need 3 amps for Rpi4?

Me during normal operation, I need just 0.3 amps for Rpi3 and around 0.5-0.6A for Rpi4.
During the highest load when also recharging batteries of PurePi, I haven't seen going it upwards 1.5A, more like 1.3A (and this is with one network switch connected to this measured 5V rail).
Are you running a DSI screen and an SSD drive or other USB devices? RPi4b can draw up to 3A max according to manufacturer. I tried my RPi3b with the $100 iFi 2.5A adapter with screen and usb SSD - no dice. I had freeze ups. When I switched to a cheaper 3A supply freeze ups went away. Now I need to find a quality 3A or use some of Ian’s better power gear to supply the PurePiII with 3A of clean power.

If starting a streamer project from scratch, focusing on an spdif output (transport pi digi or fifoq7+transportpiaes) should we, to this day go for a rpi4 or an usbridge signature?

Does something like the purepi2 compensate all the work on the power section done on the usbridge? Can we power an usbridge with purepi2? And add the other boards(q7, piAES,shieldpro…)
What should we prioritize in order to maximise thé Sonic goodness.
Best regards

The best PSUs is what I find makes a big difference with Ian's already superb modules. Ian I feel believes this too and why you would have seen over the years the huge efforts he has put into designing them

UcPure is stunning and I use them as much as I practically can. WRT the purepi2 powering the usbridge - Ians PSU can power anything you wany but of course you need to ensure the voltage and current needs are suitable.

Reactions: 3 users
Are you running a DSI screen and an SSD drive or other USB devices? RPi4b can draw up to 3A max according to manufacturer. I tried my RPi3b with the $100 iFi 2.5A adapter with screen and usb SSD - no dice. I had freeze ups. When I switched to a cheaper 3A supply freeze ups went away. Now I need to find a quality 3A or use some of Ian’s better power gear to supply the PurePiII with 3A of clean power.
No, of course I'm not running screens or any other peripherals on my Rpi. I have it for audio purposes (endpoint only), not multimedia and I'm a purist, so everything unnecessary is disabled on kernel level. Still and again, my RPi / Purepi tower doesn't consume more than 1.5A even during the start of the battery charging and one additional network switch to power.

IMG_20230908_131816.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
No, of course I'm not running screens or any other peripherals on my Rpi. I have it for audio purposes (endpoint only), not multimedia and I'm a purist, so everything unnecessary is disabled on kernel level. Still and again, my RPi / Purepi tower doesn't consume more than 1.5A even during the start of the battery charging and one additional network switch to power.

View attachment 1210963
Very cool stack. In my case the ssd is where I stream lossless FLAC from. So I need an ssd drive. I will get to purist mode one day and maybe separate the files from the enspoint. Been looking into Roon and such. Not there yet. In any case it’s the best sound I’ve had yet and the screen and drive work fine as long as the power is there and don’t affect the sound I am hearing.

Wladimir mxp, could tou élaborate a bit on your stack? A purepi board seems to be the base power supply. You use an extra uc conditionner bevore powering the fifo? Did it improve things further? What dc cable did you use? As it seems that it may be an whole topic by itself. Did I see two shield pi pro? And the output is transportpi AES?
What « moves » were the more relevant in building this stack? What are the next steps in your purist approach?