XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

Hi Lorien,

It works for one week :D.... unluckily with the isolator feeded from the same standalone PS which feeds the Wave I/O :rolleyes: (Noob mode: on !:headbash:) .... I have to fix that !

Hey...a picture is very stable :p...

Thanks for the hints, the wave I/O sounds good at home :) on a TDA1541. If you makes the little daughter board which plug on the isolator side output plug and with uf.l sockets on the top of it : I'm in !

regards

Hello all.
I have a tda1541 nos dac that i have connected with spdif to dir9001 to tda1541. Sound is really good. Dark and powerfull with nice treble. But i have problems with my spdif card so i go for a wave io card.
I just tried my wave io card on my tda1541 nos. Connected with isol. I2S. 3.3 v to wave card isolated connector. Everything works but the sound is really bright and the power from the mid and bass is totaly gone :(
I ripped the I2S out and reinstalled the dir9001 card and connected wave io spdif to dac. Better but still to bright...
Anyone have sen this problem? I use latest driver from luckit site.
Best regards //Daniel

Sometimes , i don't why windows is removing the audio settings .Full range speakers,exclusive mode etc,and the sound is bright without bass. Just two weeks ago i change my laptop and i get a very big improvement .MSI ,a gamer computer .I think it's due to the super raid configuration with two ssd for the operative system. It's moving high definition files like mp3 and the new software is working and sounding very good.

Hello. I was just about to edit my last post and ad this info.
I take power from usb port. Maybe my intelNUC htpc cant handle that?
I tried to power from external psu yesterday, but wasn't lucky with this.
Cant understand why really. I took a 9 v winding to dc and just use a 7805 with some caps around. 5 v out when nothing was connected. When connected to wave io card v dropped to 4.65 v and the led on the card was on. But the indikator led that i have connected to J9 didn't light up and no sound out...
Regards //Daniel

Hi again. Thank you all for your help. It was my psu that didn't deliver. With a external trafo and some caps i have 5.21 v and the card worked.
But for the sound it's still bright and thin. My better half is watching tv so i didn't have a long test time, but for the little i tried it sounded the same.
Almost like a little dist and rasp in the treble (hash?) i dont know how to explain it :)
Best Regards //Daniel

Daniel,

In addition to the posts above and thinking you have a TDA1541 :

If you have a little traffo of 6V, you should try in the vendor Bazar the PS board of Mravica member : fast transcient, very low noise, sensing, proof to 1 A.

Then, try to make or to source an USB wire where the 5 V is splitted on an other USB male plug (so two USB Male where one is for the data only : you only use it to plug on your PC and use the Mravica or any precise 5V/500 mA low noise reg). If there is a Gnd return path yet for the datas, maybe to supress the 5V from the PC helps a little as well ! but if Lorien says it doesn't matter because the jumper isolate it enough (but the 5V USB on the wire near the datas is not ideal as well !).

From here try the non isolated output if you have UF-L wires and uf-l plugs on the dac pcb. Maybe more dynamic, don't know really, have here to make more listening test to choose between both (isolated or non isolated)

Don't do like I've done :eek: if using the isolated output : PS the isolator chip (3.3 V or (to?) 5V) with the same PS that feed the Wave I/O (because same ground= no isolation) : avoid it and feed it from the dac pcb or from an different PS than the Wave I/O one !

Last edited:
Hello. You are right about the chip, it is a tda1541. I haven't tried the uf.l output yet. I'm still waiting for the cables.
For now i have the wave io card connected from spdif to dir9001 to tda1541. When connected to isol. I2s it was way to bright. I will try to change the dir9001 to a cs8412 tomorrow and see if that change anything.
The wave io board looks really nice and since you all have good result with it i'm convinsed that i have something strange with my dac...
I will look at the 5v supply again.
Thanks for your help.
Regards //Daniel

Try instead the CS8414 : less jitter, really better than the CS8412 ! Ok all those are not pin compatible ! P. Rogic, one of the guy who extract the best of the TDA1541 chip likes this CS8414, with a little work you can have some good results ! BTw what you have said about DIR chip is an interresting input.

What is your spidf source please ?

So you could use instead spidf from the HTPC, USB output with the Wave I/O. Short USB cable made as above (splited voltage an data wires).

Then if sure never using SPIDF anymore: read here how to desolder the U11 chip from the Wave I/O board (ask Lorien or look for in this thread.).

thank you Massimo and Wlowes,

Ahaha yes I also feeded it with 5 V but from the same PS than the Wave I/O itself (so no isolation as Lorien explained to me , lol !)

It was also my understanding of the datasheet but didn't know for some reasons due to the layout of the Wave I/O if it was ok (you know I'm not technician at all !)

Help a lot as I want to feed it from a standalone shunt on my AYA 2 2014, it is around 4.4 V and can drift a little with time (when hot !)