XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

I have a strange problem with a WaveIO board and a lonely 1543 DAC. I have built a DAC as per attached shematics and just added a WaveIO board. The strange thing is that the digital input signal is so loud that I have to lower the volume in Foobar2000 - 50 dB or thereabout to get distortionfree sound. It is like the DAC (or WaveIO) is amplifing the input signal. I have found a thread that seems to discuss a similar problem that they call "a four cycle shift on the word select line causing a x16 digital gain". I have absolutely no idea what that means but is there a solution to the problem?
Regards,
Vidar

Attachments

• 132916d1241605363-diy-dac-1543-ec.png
    132916d1241605363-diy-dac-1543-ec.png
    45.7 KB · Views: 542
@ charlyparker: thank you! :) You can also the old version of WaveIO drivers (v2.23) as, in my opinion, is better compared to v2.24.
@ Klim: yes you can OR them together but I don't know what result you expect to have. If you want to be sure you can wire low signal/low Vdrop diodes with Anode on Lx pins. Please remember that WaveIO does use positive-logic levels for LEDs, '1' = Active (Enabled) while '0' is disabled. 3.3Vdc output, or close to that! The current is states at 8 mA per pin but someday I measured 24 mA in short circuit. Anyway, you don't want to keep it forever as you can blow up that XMOS output port.
@ Vbenonisen: From what I know, WaveIO isn't able to amplify a signal. it's all related to how your TDA DAC is decoding and "understand" the 32 bit I2S signal coming from your Wave board. For the moment there are no solution to this from me, at least not in firmware. Most probably you'll need an adapter to convert the 32-bit I2S streams to the one(s) accepted by your TDA chip. Sadly there are no plans for this at the moment as time is not.. on my side.
Kind regards,
L

Last edited:
Thanks for the advise Lorien, shall try it after I listen to v2.24 for a week or so
the only thing I discover in my situation is that when there is a lot in cache and work ram
the ISO playback sometimes stutter, after cleaning ram and cache it works perfect again
For now I'm figuring things out and configure the Winserver 2012 so there is minimum on memory and processor load as possible and that is a long road :) and lot to learn....but it is fun too

"You can also the old version of WaveIO drivers (v2.23) as, in my opinion, is better compared to v2.24."

After a bit of back and forth I have to disagree with this.:p

I find 2.24 to be superior in every way and 2.23 to sound distorted by comparison. I'm sure it can be down to hardware/software differences but that's my view of the world...today.:usd:

Sorry to bring confusion but I was simply referring to how stable (or how well) this v2.24 driver pack is! For example, to someone it caused "ticks" in the sound and after he revert his system back to 2.23 all was okay. In my case I had some poor experience with 352.8 and 384 KHz sample rates. The rest were playing smoothly...
I didn't dig deeper into details firstly due to lack of time and secondly because I have a new driver pack which I have to customize. I really hope this time it will go back to "normal", like it was up to 2.24!
Regarding sound, my own impressions are ... my own :rolleyes: ... so I don't speak about it, only listen. :p Please feel free to use whatever driver version you like most... that's why are all there available for download!
Kind regards,
L

"You can also the old version of WaveIO drivers (v2.23) as, in my opinion, is better compared to v2.24."

After a bit of back and forth I have to disagree with this.:p

I find 2.24 to be superior in every way and 2.23 to sound distorted by comparison. I'm sure it can be down to hardware/software differences but that's my view of the world...today.:usd:

Today I changed 2.23 driver to 2.24 (Windows 7 64-bit, firmware 3.33, 44.1kHz only) for testing purposes and confirm your opinion: 2.24 driver sounds MUCH better than 2.23. The difference is amazing: crisp, fluid and opened. Less... distorted. More presence. True bass now. :)

Using the WaveIO with notebook Air (OS X Yosemite, iTunes) of a friend, the card is recognized by the OS, but no sound: any idea or comment ?

Last edited:
Interesting that your experience matches mine. @Lorien referred to a problem with high-res PCM playback with 2.24 that I have not tested as my higher resolution files are DSD which is a different story altogether :(, so for me 2.24 is the best (so far).

I don't "apple" so I have nothing constructive on that front..

Hi all. I've been happily using the waveio for some time. There is however a niggly low level hum that's ever present with the usb cable connected. I'm running the waveio board itself off a separate 5v supply, board is not grounded to the case, and using the isolated i2s output, which has its own 5v supply.

If I change the jumper to use usb power I get a lot of noise as well as the hum. So the offboard supply is definitely much quieter.

With the usb cable disconnected there's complete silence. As soon as the cable connects I get the hum.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot and resolve?

Thanks

Off the top of my head: Have you tried isolating the power coming down the USB cable? I just use a bit of electrical insulation tape over the appropriate pins on the USB B plug? Or better still isolate at the other end so that you avoid having any power in the USB cable at all.

I think the I2S needs 3.3 not 5v.

My waveio is in a wooden case and not earthed but I don't get any hum. I have spent quite a bit of effort earthing the PC at various points though with good effect. Just for clarity...I never had a hum but it just improves the sound the better the earth.

Hope this helps.

Wave I/O

Lorien,

I received the Wave I/O at 12h00 today. Very serious safe package and ESD proof. With spidf chip removed as asked... and putted in a small bag. So shippment is 7 seven days door to door for France.

Let me know please for the daughter board when ready -if the project is still keeped -

Thank you very much again,

Eldam

Hmmm, OK, I'm guessing that it's coming down the ground lead of the data connection. Have you tried a different USB socket on the PC? Or a PCI card rather than a motherboard socket...clutching at straws...

If the hum is around 50Hz then it'll prob be mains hum. A bit tenuous but any mains lead running parallel to a signal lead?

Otherwise it's probably a ground loop but someone more knowledgeable will have to help out with that one ;-)