Behringer DCX2496 digital X-over

here's what I am going to try

Hi folks. I have dragged my dcx2496 system out of storage and want to build a 4ch attenuator. I have very limited funds - I'm wondering if 2 of these DACT copies would be suitable Dact Type SMD Stepped Attenuator 21 Step Free Ship | eBay . What would the best impedance be?

Thanks!
Let me know if you give it a try,it might be a little longer before I get the time!
The attenuators will work ,maybe you can insert one as in the schematic and try it!

Attachments

• Modded_circuit.JPG
    Modded_circuit.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 556
Last edited:
well maybe,,,

Thanks folks. I ordered a couple of the 10k units from the seller Gigawork on ebay. Cheers for the schematic noSmoking - I was just going to make a standalone attenuator with RCA in and out. Maybe your solution is a better one?
:)
IF you want a volume control and you want to stay balanced the schematic could work,IF you want a single out it will still work ,if you float the rca connector,in other words don't ground it to the case ,I use 3 nylon washers and a big hole in the chassis,2 big washers on the outsides and a small one on the inside ,like a sandwich,lol,but no chassis connection,to the rca connector.
I haven't tried that circuit out yet, but maybe soon ,let me know how it does,
I did listen to a friends rig and it worked fine,He also used caps to single end his output,sounded good,It was a 4 channel per side setup,with 2 dcx2496's.feed by 1 deq2496.
Good Luck!:D
NS

Hello, this is my first post to diyAudio.

Inspired by the linuxworks mod in last December, I put a WM8805 digital output board in my DCX2496.

Actually I bought a WM8805 DAI board from the following, and configured with the pins.

????Blog:DAI?????????????WM8805_G??????
(sorry they only have Japanese page.)

A level shifter, 3.3V AVR and a transformer were put on the small additional board glued with the board.

http://www001.upp.so-net.ne.jp/home-dir/pic/dcx2496/01.JPG
http://www001.upp.so-net.ne.jp/home-dir/pic/dcx2496/02.JPG

Since R3 (100ohm to DAC SDATA) decreased signal amplitude and WM8805 didn't work, I removed it. The above picture was taken before the removal.

Sound quality improved very much!

Next mod is to put a SRC&Clock from Pilgham Audio. I'm looking forward to playing with it.

Hello,

I installed the SRC/Clock from Pilgham Audio to my DCX2496.

The result was fine! After the mod, the sound changed smooth and clear. The improvement was much more than I expected.

Then the next mod is to build a board for multi channel S/PDIF output. But before that, I need to learn EAGLE (PCB software) so it may take several months or longer.

Attachments

• after_src_clock.JPG
    after_src_clock.JPG
    302.3 KB · Views: 464
Just in case others have issues with cracking and dropouts on SPDIF on their DCX2496:

After being in storage for a few years mine developed an intermittent problem on the digital input. It would not start up and had pops and crackles on anything but 16/44 src. Turns out that the IDC crimp connection on the input board had a bad connection. Just touching the cable would trigger the dropout. I think this is also a common problem on the outputs. I removed the IDC crimp connector cover and peeled the cable out, reseated it firmly with a small screwdriver and replaced the connector top cover. So far it seems ok.

They really cut corners on the build quality to get the cost down. I would never put one of these into a PA system, it would have to be terribly unreliable.

Well I have been putting of doing a volume control mod,Should have did this long ago ,so much ezier to set up the balance on the 8 different channels on 2 dcx's,I did basicly whats been posted I used a 10K pot and I jumped the mute and used the pins on the op amps pins1 and 6,I put a 1K resistor inline and a .001 cap across a 47 uf cap,I used some better 47uf caps ,I think the ones I removed were as old as the unit and cheep,LOL. I think some oc-cons for the digital section and maybe some new power supply caps,
Has anyone that replaced the power supply with a linear one care to comment?
Clocks seem to be a big inprovement also,
Thanks,
NS

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
:D
Did the power supply help the sound,was it a big change to replace it?
Thanks,
NS

That's a hard one to ask the designer ;)
It's not dramatic, but for me it did change for the better.
Just personal opinion.

BTW Pilgham Audio, the guys I send those link for, told me there was a fire in the server room of their provider and they are now trying to rebuild there site. I think the pictures aren't rebuild yet as of Friday morning.
If you want info probably best to mail them.

jan

Thanks alot!

That's a hard one to ask the designer ;)
It's not dramatic, but for me it did change for the better.
Just personal opinion.

BTW Pilgham Audio, the guys I send those link for, told me there was a fire in the server room of their provider and they are now trying to rebuild there site. I think the pictures aren't rebuild yet as of Friday morning.
If you want info probably best to mail them.

jan

Hi Jan ,
I'll check that site out ,I know you made it but you probably would have scrapped it if it wasn't better than stock,Looks like a new design Too!
Thanks alot,
NS

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Jan ,
I'll check that site out ,I know you made it but you probably would have scrapped it if it wasn't better than stock,Looks like a new design Too!
Thanks alot,
NS

Yeah the challenge was to manage space and heat dissipation for a linear regulator in that tight space.
At the end I selected an external wall-wart transformer (12VAC) that directly feeds the 5V, 3.3V and 6.2V regulators. A small, PCB-mounted custom 12VAC to 2 x 18VAC transformer drives the +/-15V regulators.
I even succeeded to re-use existing mounting holes in the box, so no drilling required!

jan

I have a duff Behringer dcx2496 could not find any one to repair it for so took the plunge & bought another used one with warranty OK . I want to go active with my Pheonix speaker . I have read many issues with it . You have got remember I am past my sell date so bear with me . The volume control I think is the main problem + others What do I really need to to overcome the issues please . I would need a lot info + help on this one .

Thanks Peter

hi all . abit off topic i am new in this forum been invited by no smoking . here is my 4 way analogue active cross over . i have tested it, it works and it is impressive.
i have used linkwitz 24db way all 4 channels have high pass and low pass filters the frequency division is in the schematic pls share your comments and experiences .

have fun

Attachments

• gtG 4way with preamp 35h to 22k bom plain _ListByValues.pdf
    44.2 KB · Views: 55
  • gtG 4way with preamp 35h to 22k plain pcb artwork.pdf
    465.2 KB · Views: 51
  • gtG 4way with preamp 35h to 22k plain schematic.pdf
    45.6 KB · Views: 55
  • gtG 4way with preamp 35h to 22k plain schematic 1.jpg
    gtG 4way with preamp 35h to 22k plain schematic 1.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 323
  • gtG 4way with preamp 35h to 22k plain schematic 2.jpg
    gtG 4way with preamp 35h to 22k plain schematic 2.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 322
  • gtG 4way with preamp 35h to 22k plain.jpg
    gtG 4way with preamp 35h to 22k plain.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 317
hi all . abit off topic i am new in this forum been invited by no smoking . here is my 4 way analogue active cross over . i have tested it, it works and it is impressive.
i have used linkwitz 24db way all 4 channels have high pass and low pass filters the frequency division is in the schematic pls share your comments and experiences .

have fun

Hi Stewin,
Looks good , Could you post the silk or a stuffing guide?
Power supply is + - 12volts,what transformer did you use?
I will start them soon ! Thanks for posting!:)

Last edited: