Experience with this DIY DAC ?

Thank you for reply legarem.
No, the dac is in the original form. I try with USB and spdif in, with the same result. :headbash:
It's very frustrating because I can not use.:(
Any idea?

Thanks.

Alberto.

If it was mine, I would carefully take out the relay so the signal will not be interrupted and you could at least use it.

It's hard to tell you why it does that if the problem is with USB and SPDIF.

No, the dac is in the original form. I try with USB and spdif in, with the same result. :headbash:
Any idea?

Thanks.

Alberto.

If you look at your schematic, the relay circuit is very simple. I would first look for a bad solder joint on the board or other damage. You can monitor the output of pin 14 of the CS8416 with a meter to see if it is at fault.

If you don't have the schematic you can email me or almost anyone else in this thread to get a copy.

Any idea?

Thanks.

Alberto.

You could bypass the entire relay section altogether. Take the signal from points 'A' and 'B' for each channel. There will an improvement.

The yellow lines show how to bypass the buffer op-amp but use the points by the relay if you want to keep the buffer.

The DC is minimal from the op-amps but switch the DAC on before the pre amp.

OP-AMP.jpg

schematic for this eBay DAC board

Here's an up-to-date schematic I drew for the eBay DAC that started this monster thread. There are a few schematics floating around for it, but none very accurate. After I found undocumented +/-12V at the DAC dip socket, I'd had enough!

It matches LM-DAC3 V9 and Lar Audio Ver 1.0 (ID these by provision for a 8-pin soic MCU on the corner by the input select jumpers).

There are duplicate traces on the main pcb and the DIP-adapter smurf boards, which I drew.

I hope it helps people working with these and please let me know of any errors etc.

Attachments

• eBay CS4398 LM-DAC3 schematic Rev0.pdf
    72.7 KB · Views: 581
HifiDIYShop finally delivered

I wanted to post in case anyone was wondering about the hifidiyshop.com offering of this board (here - 2010 UP-SAMPLING 24bit/192Hz DAC DA CONVERTER W/USB KIT 24bit/192Hz DAC DA CONVERTER @ USB Kit [217] - US$95.00 : Hifi Diy--Amplifier,dac kits,hifi audio products and parts online shop, shipping to worldwide).

The vendor was not super professional, and I was concerned for my purchase (so I posted here a little while back), but I got word that it had arrived at the post office yesterday, and I picked it up this morning.

So I placed an order approx. Feb. 7. The item indicated 'free shipping' and I was not given an option to choose a shipping method. Paypal payment was made Feb 10 (don't choose any other payment option). Feb 18 I emailed to ask why my order status was still listed as "processing" and was told that it had already shipped and that there was no tracking number. March 8 I emailed to see if they had any info on the order as I still didn't have it, and I was given a tracking number at that time. The tracking info had it leaving Singapore and entering the custody of the USPS on Feb 7. USPS made no updates to that until Friday (yesterday) morning when they said that it was at the local post office. So while the site indicates Standard Shipping is 2 - 18 days, I got mine in 40 days from order. I don't know the date that it was actually shipped.

Now I've got it. It says "LM - DAC3 V10 2010,01" on it. It's pretty dirty. The RCA output jacks are bent / rotated. It looks like there's liquid residue on the board. That's what happens, I guess, when you try to go real cheap. If it functions, it'll be alright. I just gotta clean it and track down some appropriate transformers to get it powered up. After that I'll probably start generating beginner questions.

I'm glad to see that people are still working with this board. Thanks to all you knowledgeable sorts for sharing your expertise.

Last edited:
Any recommendation for a good DAC?

Since you guys are talking about DAC I think I can ask this question in this thread.

I am a complete newbie for digital music DIY, who never worked with SMD devices. I am building a new MyRef amplifier for music listening and am planning to build a new better quality DAC as well. I am completely uneducated about various options and technologieds available. I came up with the following choices after doing some web-search and reading forums including this thread:

New 24/192 DAC DA CONVERTER DIR9001+CS8421+PCM1798 USB - eBay (item 160557441643 end time Apr-09-11 09:32:21 PDT)
Hi-End AD1955-DIR9001 Optical Coaxial USB DAC Board - eBay (item 260700445347 end time Mar-29-11 07:26:45 PDT)
DAC DIR9001+TDA1541A 2.0B parallel output OS/NOS [383] - US$219.00 : Hifi Diy--Amplifier,dac kits,hifi audio products and parts online shop, shipping to worldwide

Which one should be a good quality DAC? I would like to feed the board from a CD/DVD player as well as from a DVD-A player. If you have any other suggestion please let me know that as well.

TIA

I finally got this DAC board sounding good. Before, I couldn't listen to it for more than 10 minutes before reaching for the power switch, which had me wondering what was up.

Spent a day with the scope on 1mV/div using optical and OPA627's.

Adding SMT caps as close as possible to the IC's makes audible improvements:
0.1uF's on (DIP) pins 6,7 VD and 21,22 VA power for the DAC IC.

The CS4398 smurf board has a skinny trace between (DIP) pin 15/17/22. Found a lot of noise (50mVpp) on pin CS4398 pin 17 trace impedance is the problem. Had to go up to 100uF X5R before the noise was reasonable. HUGE improvement in sound, gone is the midrange harshness and detail is back with some velvet.

Added 2.2uF X5R on CS4398 pin 15 (FILT+) like above, across ground fill to the IC pin.

On the motherboard, I shorted the 4 electrolytics on the CS4398 outputs, 2 on the output RCA's and have only +/-3.3mV of DC offset at the RCA's with OPA627's.

The Vregs for +/-12V are the noisiest and 10uF tantalum caps from ADJ divider to GND reduce this.

Added 0.47uF X5R and 10uF tantalum decoupling for the op-amp's rails.

It's musical now, certainly worth the hassle of soldering SMT parts on a cheapo PCB.

can you draw a simple schematic about these modifies please?

Since you guys are talking about DAC I think I can ask this question in this thread.

I am a complete newbie for digital music DIY, who never worked with SMD devices. I am building a new MyRef amplifier for music listening and am planning to build a new better quality DAC as well. I am completely uneducated about various options and technologieds available. I came up with the following choices after doing some web-search and reading forums including this thread:

New 24/192 DAC DA CONVERTER DIR9001+CS8421+PCM1798 USB - eBay (item 160557441643 end time Apr-09-11 09:32:21 PDT)
Hi-End AD1955-DIR9001 Optical Coaxial USB DAC Board - eBay (item 260700445347 end time Mar-29-11 07:26:45 PDT)
DAC DIR9001+TDA1541A 2.0B parallel output OS/NOS [383] - US$219.00 : Hifi Diy--Amplifier,dac kits,hifi audio products and parts online shop, shipping to worldwide

Which one should be a good quality DAC? I would like to feed the board from a CD/DVD player as well as from a DVD-A player. If you have any other suggestion please let me know that as well.

TIA

Did you not read the name of the thread? There are plenty of threads about other Dacs.

TIA

Why don´t you go for the CS4398 that this thread is originaly for?

DAC's output (reconstruction) filter

Has anyone questioned this DAC's output (reconstruction) filter?
It's quite different from Cirrus CS4398 datasheets and the values look weird for a 2-pole differential filter :confused: One leg is 45kHz and the other looks like 7.34kHz, which means a 1nF cap should be an 82pF cap...?

Attachments

• eBay-CS4398-LM-DAC3-reconst.jpg
    eBay-CS4398-LM-DAC3-reconst.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 616