The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps

A new answer has arrived from Hypex on using this tweeter without a series capacitor:

"The DC resistance of the transformer is very low. The amp is DC coupled and there will always be some offset. So both the transformer and amp will not like too much DC."

So I think I give up and use a capacitor.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Maybe do you remember when I did a double blind test comparing the analog and the digital input of the Fusionamp. In that blind test I failed to identify which input I heard, but in normal usage that test didn't changed anything because I still likes the sound of the digital input better.
Same with the capacitors. Although I didn't blind test that and I see no point doing so because blind test results doesn't have an effect on me if I normally listening to music etc. Even though I believe in the results of blind tests, although recently less and less.
So the natural conclusion is that there is no actual physical difference, and the difference is between your ears.
The nice thing about science is that it works, whether we believe in it or not.

Reactions: 2 users
May the difference is between my ears but I still hear a difference, even if I fail in a blind test hundred times and accept the result.
Or the blind test itself is the fail? Maybe a real blind test is when one not knows it's a blind test or even a test at all?

Last edited:
You seem to have missed an important point, because I think I hear a difference not only between capacitor/non-capacitor, but also between two capacitors of the same capacity, but different brand, type etc.
I never tell someone what they hear or don't hear. I think we all perceive sound differently, and some of us are more sensitive to certain aspects than others. Some people seem very sensitive to capacitor differences.

Years ago I did a blind test where I could tell the difference between a 4.7 uf NPE electrolytic and a 4.7 uf mylar cap in the tweeter circuit. Once I knew what to listen for, I could usually identify the NPE. I was not able to tell the difference between a mylar and a polypropylene cap. I am not sure that 57 year old ears today could hear what my 25 year old ears could hear back then...

You perceive a difference. Yes, to you the difference is absolutely real, but the reasons are perceptual and psychological, not acoustic.
Double blind tests are the industry gold standard exactly because they eliminate that perceptual bias/illusion. When you see an optical illusion where two squares that are exactly the same shade appear different (A and B in this picture), do you believe your eyes and say that the picture is a fail?

shadow-illusion.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe a real blind test is when one not knows it's a blind test or even a test at all.
This... participating in a test is not the same as relaxing and immersing in the music. There is such a thing as test anxiety...

Professional chefs have sometimes failed in blind testing to identify the difference between a white onion and a red onion, or the difference between an apple or a pear. But you could never convince them (or anyone) that there was no difference. The problem was the way the blind testing was conducted.

You perceive a difference. Yes, to you the difference is absolutely real, but the reasons are perceptual and psychological, not acoustic.
Double blind tests are the industry gold standard exactly because they eliminate that perceptual bias/illusion. When you see an optical illusion where two squares that are exactly the same shade appear different (A and B in this picture), do you believe your eyes and say that the picture is a fail?

View attachment 1184068
Yes, I know all this but my brain doesn't cares. I see A and B as they differ but you see that too. Even if you know that's just an illusion, you still can't see A and B as they are identical.
And it has nothing to do with the fact that some people have appointed the audio double blind test as the gold standard.

Last edited:
I still keep up my claim that I heard a quality difference between two bit perfect DACs. Some science guys chimed in and demanded measurement and I had to tell them I would not have the means nor the will to invest my time to deliver scientific evidence. They were frustrated, but I was not, as I could still make out the difference.

By the way, this thread is dedicated to Hypex FusionAmps :)

Yes, I know all this but my brain doesn't cares.
I know. Some people prefer belief rather than facts.

And it has nothing to do with the fact that some people have appointed the audio double blind test as the gold standard.
Yes. "Some people". As in the whole field of audio science. But yes, sure, science is just an opinion, and what has it ever given us...?

Reactions: 1 users
Let's not divert from the topic of this thread: No one asked to be converted, for an introduction to the myhth of the great Schism in audiology, and being explained one's own experience-as-belief. All fun stories, but not the right thread.

A question was asked about the necessity for a protective cap when the FusionAmps are used together with an AMT-tweeter. Thanks to Hypex support, we now know it indeed is.

Thanks sheeple! But for clarify, this is not an AMT (which have flat impedance with almost the same DCR) but a transformer coupled true-ribbon (which have decreasing impedance towards low frequencies and a practically short circuit DCR). An AMT doesn't need the capacitor (even they can be safely used without) for the same reason as a true-ribbon.

Last edited:
hi, i need help pls, with the import of the REW impulse response data. the problem is, the imported impulse response in hfd looks the same like in REW but the orange line in magnitude window goes crazy from -35db to 40db and looks completly different. what do i wrong? i tested with my own measurement and a REW sample file....both have same problem.

hi, i need help pls, with the import of the REW impulse response data. the problem is, the imported impulse response in hfd looks the same like in REW but the orange line in magnitude window goes crazy from -35db to 40db and looks completly different. what do i wrong? i tested with my own measurement and a REW sample file....both have same problem.
Hello KeinPlan,
Could you please send your REW impulse file to support@hypex.nl ? They can take a look at it and maybe find a solution to properly import the data in HFD.
Regards,
Reini

Yes, I know all this but my brain doesn't cares. I see A and B as they differ but you see that too. Even if you know that's just an illusion, you still can't see A and B as they are identical.
Thank the heavens you are not involved in science or policy making! :eek:

Yes I know it was a bit lame comment from me but it was delibarate.
I still think, two different capacitors (with different technologies, materials etc) is a bit different thing than Julf's example, which is created to deceive our visual.

Just for curiosity, Amir on ASR passed an one addtional cycle ADC-DAC (to a single DAC) double blind-test. Which I failed to pass, but in normal situations, I still hear the difference (it doesn't relevant what I prefer) which can be real, because Amir's example shows that we can hear it.

Last edited: