TPA3255 - all about DIY, Discussion, Design etc

Hello guys

I just finished my "mobile" amp.

Teufel us8118 with tpa3255 powerd by old 10S Li-Ion battery. Audio power is just amazing....with some bass boosted music its heavy.

Power consumption must be false because it showed only under 1A by max volume.

Attachments

• poweramp.jpg
    poweramp.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 497
  • tpa3255.jpg
    tpa3255.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 493
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
If you need a huge load resistor, make an array out of large (surplus?) resistors and solder them together.

That's what I did to make a metal thin film dummy load here (16 x 2w 3.3ohm resistors in series-parallel):
794178d1573531774-tpa3255-reference-design-class-amp-gb-tpa3255-fan-testing-01-jpg

Very low distortion and cheap for a 20W load (run below 32w max which is too hot). However, making a 200w one is more of a challenge.

Last edited:
Center pins (rear) of the RCA connectors go to "+" and "-" respectively (three PCB terminals marked in-put). The two RCA ground terminals go both to "G" on the PCB.
CORRECTION! being issued

You mean like this ? :

RCA-shema.png

But wich input is the right one ? The one marqued in black or the red ?
red = unbalance mode ?
black = balance mode ?

Any idea guys ?

TPARCA2.jpg

Last edited:
This was taken from the ad...

input: support Unbalanced or balanced

( this board default is set for Unbalanced input. if you want change to balance input. need change two Resistor's direction. checking the bottom Illustrating.)

If this is true, hook up the right rca to IN-PUT-R (your red circle) and the left rca to IN-PUT-L (your black circle). Center pin to of rca to +, ground ring of rca to G.

Mike

This was taken from the ad...

input: support Unbalanced or balanced

( this board default is set for Unbalanced input. if you want change to balance input. need change two Resistor's direction. checking the bottom Illustrating.)

If this is true, hook up the right rca to IN-PUT-R (your red circle) and the left rca to IN-PUT-L (your black circle). Center pin to of rca to +, ground ring of rca to G.

Mike

As far I understand your explanation, in Unbalanced mode, the - (negative) is not used ?

UNBALANCE MODE : Is it right ???

TPARCA2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks so you confirm that the above pictures is correct ? :)

Hi Dani,
Your picture is correct with a small extension: The "-" input(s) normally has to be connected (shorted) to "G" (ground). Leaving one of the two inputs lines in a balanced input open will cause hum. Therefore, you short-circuit the other input line ("-") to ground so it does not pick up noise (hum).

Hi Dani,
Your picture is correct with a small extension: The "-" input(s) normally has to be connected (shorted) to "G" (ground). Leaving one of the two inputs lines in a balanced input open will cause hum. Therefore, you short-circuit the other input line ("-") to ground so it does not pick up noise (hum).

I am sorry... I do not understand. Can you explain via a picture like I did above ?

You mean I need to connect the - (negative) to the ground RCA as well ? LIKE THIS ?

TPARCA3.jpg

Last edited:
I have a generic TPA3255 amp. White noise is louder in the right speaker, but I do not perceive channel imbalance while I listen to music. Is it possible for white noise to have channel imbalance while audio doesn't?

A logical reply would be "apparently" but it is unusual. First, you have to make sure that the white noise does not enter via the input from a previous stage.
So, unless you have already done this, disconnect the source and short the amplifier inputs to ground. Still a clear imbalance in the white noise?
If you still have a clear imbalance of white noise, it is likely to be a capacitor that makes unusually much noise in the right channel.