TPA3255 - all about DIY, Discussion, Design etc

I just used an inexpensive 10K stepped pot. Works fine. My preamp uses a LME49600 as a buffered output so I can drive anything even the speakers directly if I wanted to.

I'm eventually looking for a buffer with a volume control. i'm evaluating several solutions but I didn't find a specific suggestion for a matched preamp/buffer for a tpa3250/3251/3255.

What about yours? Does it match well?

Look for a motorized 50k pot with infra red remote. Combine with a NE5532 preamp board you put in front of it. If you want something more crazy, use a tube buffer instead or add it. should be done for less than 40€.

Thanks for the advice. How do you see a Mesmerize B1 instead? I'm getting information on the building thread and the project doesn't seem too complicate.

Like you wrote, the Mesmerize is a project. You never know when or if you are going to finish it and how much it will cost at the end. Usually some important part is missing or not available by the time you get the PCB.
By the time you start the project, the combination of a remote controlled €12 potentiometer and a €5 -€15 buffer has been playing music for a month. If you get some finished board, you only need to connect some wires.

Both done right, you will not hear any difference, as they are only controlling volume and matching impedance. None of them has any "sound". That is the whole idea.

I dislike to post links, as they get useless after a few days. Just have a look at eBay or Aliexpress or what ever.
For a pre amp module, take one with a dual voltage, as otherwise they use capacitors for decoupling. You may have to adjust the amplification, as with these modules it is usually to high.
The concept is simple, you take an OP-amp (NE5532 is fine) decouple the source with it and sent the signal to the pot. Depending on the amp you use, (very high input impedance) you are done or might put a second NE5532 buffer with 1:1 amplification behind the pot.
The quality of this "pre-amp" depends on the power supply. Some buffer have their own rectification and regulation on board, for some you might use an additional supply. I prefer LM317/LM337 modules.

So basically you need just some cheap modules for a high quality pre amp. The trick for good sound is to use a real NE5532, as in almost any Chinese product low or no quality fake IC´s are used. So take the Chinese parts that are OK (PCB, resistors and cap´s) and use a good OP amp.
The NE5532 is low cost at 1-2$ but very high quality. The price performance ratio is exceptional.

Last edited:
I dislike to post links, as they get useless after a few days. Just have a look at eBay or Aliexpress or what ever.
For a pre amp module, take one with a dual voltage, as otherwise they use capacitors for decoupling. You may have to adjust the amplification, as with these modules it is usually to high.
The concept is simple, you take an OP-amp (NE5532 is fine) decouple the source with it and sent the signal to the pot. Depending on the amp you use, (very high input impedance) you are done or might put a second NE5532 buffer with 1:1 amplification behind the pot.
The quality of this "pre-amp" depends on the power supply. Some buffer have their own rectification and regulation on board, for some you might use an additional supply. I prefer LM317/LM337 modules.

So basically you need just some cheap modules for a high quality pre amp. The trick for good sound is to use a real NE5532, as in almost any Chinese product low or no quality fake IC´s are used. So take the Chinese parts that are OK (PCB, resistors and cap´s) and use a good OP amp.
The NE5532 is low cost at 1-2$ but very high quality. The price performance ratio is exceptional.

Thank you very much for the info. Passing from Japan i think I should be able to find some ready to assemble kits based on a genuine NE5532 and ALPS pot. I will eventually post my findings.

As far as I know the amp modules from 3e-audio.com are well designed and the build quality is good.
The Aliexpress boards will work in most cases, but have the cheapest parts possible and anything saved one can save. So in most cases you start modding them to come near to the sound quality the 3255 chip can deliver.
If you take into account what you have to change on Ali boards, the 3e-audio come cheap...

As far as I know the amp modules from 3e-audio.com are well designed and the build quality is good.
The Aliexpress boards will work in most cases, but have the cheapest parts possible and anything saved one can save. So in most cases you start modding them to come near to the sound quality the 3255 chip can deliver.
If you take into account what you have to change on Ali boards, the 3e-audio come cheap...

Thanks for your reply!

What about power supply, I heard that TI recommends to use an switching power supply, am I right?

I did not find powerful switching power supply from 3e-audio. So buying a power supply form Aliexpress is it a good idea? Could you recommend please some models from Ali or other sites?

With which power supply, i.e. 48V 5A or 7.5A I can get better performance with 3255?

Thanks