TPA3255 - all about DIY, Discussion, Design etc

Thanks @James! I haven't really considered the SE/Balanced side of things yet. I will add that to my list for when the system grows. I was going to run it off an iphone 6s for time being as it seems to have a pretty decent DAC. XRKAudio also seems to have a really nice implementation of the tpa3255.
Thanks @daniboun really appreciate the list. A stereo potentiometer will probably do for now (possibly a 20K ALPS RK27), but was thinking of implementing something along the lines of a passive R2R type attenuator volume regulator (Resistor-Switch Attenuator Networks for Audio Volume Control) or a DS1802 using the pushbutton options. Don't really have the time to start implementing MCU's. DACT audio attenuators (For balanced sources Hans Polak's implementation seems neat)
In regards to Speaker protection, I came across this conversation in TI's forum.(https://e2e.ti.com/support/audio/f/6/t/846767?TPA3255-Speaker-DC-Protection-in-TPA3255) What are you all implementing?

@Pygmy Thank you and thank you for sharing, I'm looking forward to this journey. That setup looks great, did you also go about building your own speakers? I've got B&W LM1's that I'm planning to use the amp with, but if this journey starts getting out of hand, I might end up trying to build some LXminis :cheerful: And yes, I would use the term desolderable. I was wondering about what I should do in regards of volume control.. :D Is that a brass/copper baseplate you are using inside the case?

I built my own speakers yes - didn't design them though.
I've built 2 pairs of "Needle Deluxe" : Loudspeaker shop | Needle Deluxe Bamboo Kit | DIY

The big speakers are "Heissmann Samuel HQ"'s : Heissmann-Acoustics | Samuel HQ | D appolito Lautsprecher.
(These I can abso-********-lutely recommend - they perform way out of their price range..!!)

I *am* in the process of finally *designing* my own speakers, but that's a whole different story / forum thread.

I'm currently using the big Heissmann Samuel's in my kitchen with the TPA3116D2 based amplifier (amp is heavily modified based on all advice in the mentioned thread TPA3116D2 Amp )

The cheap TPA3116D2 board has been performing awesom6e for over a year now. With the mods, it's dead silent (ear to tweeter), and eventhough it's "just" a 2x50W amp, it gives enough oomph to fill my 5x6m kitchen with proper sound even when having parties here.

This amp really made me reconsider how much Watt is really needed for average day to day use.

My current opinion is I'd rather have this (decent, good performing) 2x50W amplifier over an amplifier touting "500Watt!!!".
I'd rather have 50 good Watts than 500 shitty ones ;-)

Last edited:
Doc/Dani/ Gurus,

can I use the below 3PDT switch for changing input? between RCA & USB DAC, for my 3e 3255 board?
NAB3Itl.jpg

6A 125VAC Mini 6mm Toggle Switch MTS 102 103 202 203 302 303 402 403 on off SPDT DPDT on off on 3PDT Switch with Waterproof Cap|Switches| - AliExpress

Last edited:
For those who would be interested in the Shui Yuan TPA3255 module, here the list of what you need (LLC PSU + AC/DC filter must be added)
I did this list for users who don't want to buy via Aliexpress. (it is a bit more expansive than Ali but you have Genuine caps, fast shipment and reliable warranty).

PS : 50V / 4700uf Nichicon caps = if PSU under 40V.
If PSU > 40V, please get some 63V / 4700uf Nichicon caps.

Audiophonics List (don't take care of quantities here) :

Audiophonics — ImgBB

Last edited:
Now I have two AIYIMA-04+mode amplifiers connected by Bi-amping. Should I upgrade to Shui Yuan TPA3255 modules to improve the sound quality?

I have not completed my test but if you really take the step towards a high end module, go for a Jlester TPA3255 but we are talking here about a $150 Module VS a $20 module (which, however, has enormous potential).
I did a two hour listening session yesterday with the few mods mentioned in reference, I must admit that this module blew me away....I'm curious what other users here will think.(we will be fixed soon)

Once again, it is necessary to understand in my approach: an alternative to the first and best version of Aiyima A04 (black BCP) and with the possibility of modifying the components without being hampered by the size of a case, the constraints to add a top quality volume pot, high end caps. etc etc : in this sense, the Shui Yuan seems very nice )

Will share some new pictures soon of the finished amp.:)

Last edited:
For those who would be interested in the Shui Yuan TPA3255 module, here the list of what you need (LLC PSU + AC/DC filter must be added)

Hey daniboun, just a quick question, when you talk about AC/DC filter are you talking about an extra specific PCB implementation? I bought the LLC SMPS single supply from Hison that you recommended a couple of posts further back and I'm trying to figure out what the additional AC/DC filter would look like. Thanks.

I am talking about this kind of AC filter for example.

GB: Round #6; Fo-Felix AC Filter

However : I am using different one and also ferrites in all my projects and seems very useful when you are streaming (like me) via wireless protocol.

About Ferrites, check page 19 + 25 of the Newclass D Cookbook : I was inspired by their recommendation

https://www.newclassd.com/NCDCOOKBOOK300.pdf

Last edited:
Hi amigos,

Just finished my new Shui Yuan Amplifier. Sounds very very well )
Some pictures so you can compare with my updated Aiyima A04

As per reminder, what I did :

Stock version

A small 110*70*35MM TPA3255 module with :

SAGAMI 7W14A inductors

Full Nichicon caps, as below :

Nichicon 2200UF/63V VZ serie power caps

Nichicon FW serie Buffer caps (Audio Grade)

DIP8 OP amps socket

My minor Updates :

For TPA3255 module : Remove 2X Nichicon VZ serie 2200UF/63V > Install 2X Nichicon 4700UF KW serie (low ESR Audio grade)

For LLC SMPS PSU : Remove Output Caps 2X Nichicon PM serie 50V/1800UF > Install 2X Nichicon 2200UF KW serie

OP amps : Remove NES5532 Op amps > Install OPA1656

Full Setup:

Updated TPA3255 Module with full Nichicon Audio Grade caps (110*70*35MM)

SMPS LLC 600W 48V PSU small factor Nichicon caps (113mm * 67mm * 56mm)

Aiyima A50 AC DC Filter (anti RMI/RFI) board

Full Copper twisted wires

Full Aluminium black case BRZHIFI (131*249*55mm.)

Premium Banana plugs

I still want to point out that I took enormous risks in assembling this amplifier. Indeed, the Nichicon KW caps and the PSU radiator have to fit within 1mm in the case) I was lucky. Keep in mind that the maximum size of installable caps is 20x40 for the module and if you want to update the film caps, the pitch is between 0.5 and 0.75mm per information.

I I highly recommend going for this case instead, which is slightly taller and longer :

Boitier DIY Preamplificateur DAC 100% Aluminium interrupteur 300x190x70mm Noir - Audiophonics

Concerning my first long listening (I will come back to this point later ...) At this price, this amp is a little bomb! We find the grain of the lovely TPA3255, no doubt about it! But what amazed me about in this model is that it goes very low in the bass, more than the other Chinese models that I have been able to test. I have the feeling that the made mods have something to do with it. I have also found the OPA1656 / Nichicon FW (25V 10UF) combo to pair well ! The mids are well detached when listening, everything is balanced and clean. The vocals are well highlighted on the front of the soundstage and the treble never aggressive, I really like what I hear)

The amplifier is really silent and has no POP on switching on and off.
I wouldn't want to say anything stupid ... but I really have the feeling that the added filter and the ferrite between the PSU and the module contain the interference caused by my BT connection; it is certainly not perfect but it is is very good ( I stream via BT Aptx HD).

I will share a video tonight )

Pictures :

Last edited:
I had not previously seen the Fo-Felix AC Filter.

SMPS generally require a Common Mode filter and Differential Mode filters to prevent SMPS noise from getting on the AC "Mains".

This is a pretty good overview of the subject: The Importance of Filtering for Power Supplies

Coilcraft CommonModeFilterDesignGuide

Here are commercial AC filter versions....

Standard 3 wire (with ground), $5.90 (USD)... Schaffner FN9222-6-06
FN9222-6-06 Datasheet (PDF): https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/355/FN9222-1036167.pdf

Two wire class 2.....Schaffner FN9274 Medical Class II IEC Inlet Filters
Schaffner FN9274 Datasheet: https://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/Schaffner_09112020_2020 FN9274 datasheet.pdf

Attachments

• AC Filter.JPG
    AC Filter.JPG
    160.4 KB · Views: 101
  • Medical AC Filter.JPG
    Medical AC Filter.JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 97
Question - I assume some of you might have used a DSP with your TPA3255 builds.
First off, let's make clear I'm not very good on the electronics side of things....

I see both the Sure/Wondom ADAU1701 as well as the 3E Audio DSP are configured to have a 1.0Vrms input limit.
My Google Chromecast Audio outputs 2.0Vrms though.

I know the DSP board has a resistor that can be swapped to configure it for 2.0Vrms, but that's SMD stuff and I'm rather afraid of trying that on a DSP board costing $65...

Are there any other good solutions to make 2.0Vrms output work with a DSP board that's specced to 1.0Vrms..?

Hi amigos,

Just finished my new Shui Yuan Amplifier. Sounds very very well )
Some pictures so you can compare with my updated Aiyima A04

As per reminder, what I did :

Stock version

A small 110*70*35MM TPA3255 module with :

SAGAMI 7W14A inductors

Full Nichicon caps, as below :

Nichicon 2200UF/63V VZ serie power caps

Nichicon FW serie Buffer caps (Audio Grade)

DIP8 OP amps socket

My minor Updates :

For TPA3255 module : Remove 2X Nichicon VZ serie 2200UF/63V > Install 2X Nichicon 4700UF KW serie (low ESR Audio grade)

For LLC SMPS PSU : Remove Output Caps 2X Nichicon PM serie 50V/1800UF > Install 2X Nichicon 2200UF KW serie

OP amps : Remove NES5532 Op amps > Install OPA1656

Full Setup:

Updated TPA3255 Module with full Nichicon Audio Grade caps (110*70*35MM)

SMPS LLC 600W 48V PSU small factor Nichicon caps (113mm * 67mm * 56mm)

Aiyima A50 AC DC Filter (anti RMI/RFI) board

Full Copper twisted wires

Full Aluminium black case BRZHIFI (131*249*55mm.)

Premium Banana plugs

I still want to point out that I took enormous risks in assembling this amplifier. Indeed, the Nichicon KW caps and the PSU radiator have to fit within 1mm in the case) I was lucky. Keep in mind that the maximum size of installable caps is 20x40 for the module and if you want to update the film caps, the pitch is between 0.5 and 0.75mm per information.

I I highly recommend going for this case instead, which is slightly taller and longer :

Boitier DIY Preamplificateur DAC 100% Aluminium interrupteur 300x190x70mm Noir - Audiophonics

Concerning my first long listening (I will come back to this point later ...) At this price, this amp is a little bomb! We find the grain of the lovely TPA3255, no doubt about it! But what amazed me about in this model is that it goes very low in the bass, more than the other Chinese models that I have been able to test. I have the feeling that the made mods have something to do with it. I have also found the OPA1656 / Nichicon FW (25V 10UF) combo to pair well ! The mids are well detached when listening, everything is balanced and clean. The vocals are well highlighted on the front of the soundstage and the treble never aggressive, I really like what I hear)

The amplifier is really silent and has no POP on switching on and off.
I wouldn't want to say anything stupid ... but I really have the feeling that the added filter and the ferrite between the PSU and the module contain the interference caused by my BT connection; it is certainly not perfect but it is is very good ( I stream via BT Aptx HD).

I will share a video tonight )

Pictures :

https://ibb.co/qdkS5Kd
https://ibb.co/zrsShWh
https://ibb.co/nzCTHPG
https://ibb.co/9ZDGkbK
https://ibb.co/803HQmf
https://ibb.co/c3ztmJ8
https://ibb.co/f81nBYZ

Can you give us some more details / links of the Filter you have used.

Are the boards just mounted using stick on stand offs ?? Do you earth the boards to the case ??

I have the same TPA3255 board and very similar if not the same power supply.

Many thanks. James

Hello.

I've recently bought 3e-audio tpa3255 board. And indeed it's very good. I've been using tube amp for the last few years. And obviously the sound tpa3255 bord produce is completely different. The sound stage is very wide but it lacks depth. And mids are a bit dull. I've got dam1021 dac and I would like to feed tpa3255 directly from dac with balanced signal straight to those polymer caps. And I've got question about those caps.
1. Remove them completely?
2. Best cap replacement?

Regards Marcin

Attachments

• IMG_20210205_193510_1.jpg
    IMG_20210205_193510_1.jpg
    978.4 KB · Views: 208
Is there a consensus on what voltage to feed these boards? I've seen reports that 48v causes them to run too hot so some are recommending 36v instead. Also some discussion depending on 4ohm vs 8ohm loads? Should I just get a good 48v LLC SMPS?

Also any considerations for running two boards off of the same power supply? I've been leaning towards the SMPS600RS.