TPA3255 - all about DIY, Discussion, Design etc

Is there a consensus on what voltage to feed these boards? I've seen reports that 48v causes them to run too hot so some are recommending 36v instead. Also some discussion depending on 4ohm vs 8ohm loads? Should I just get a good 48v LLC SMPS?

Also any considerations for running two boards off of the same power supply? I've been leaning towards the SMPS600RS.

If I had a 4 ohm speaker load, I would choose 36V. If the load was 8 ohm ohm, 48V may be a better choice.

Capture.JPG

Is there a consensus on what voltage to feed these boards? I've seen reports that 48v causes them to run too hot so some are recommending 36v instead. Also some discussion depending on 4ohm vs 8ohm loads? Should I just get a good 48v LLC SMPS?

Also any considerations for running two boards off of the same power supply? I've been leaning towards the SMPS600RS.

You should take a look at the Shui yuan TPA3255 module I reviewed that is an excellent alternative to the Aiyima or 3E Audio modules. You don't have to worry about supporting a voltage of 48V (no overheating), great for DIY modifications, and its compactness is super interesting! The stock module is equipped with full Nichicon caps and some DIP8 OP amps.

Hi amigos,

I made up my mind to leave a copy of my Shui Yuan TPA3255 + my Jlester TPA3255 amp to an Audiophile friend. I wanted to have an opinion other than mine regarding this new module.

His setup :

Atoll HD100 preamp tweaked version
Cabasse Sloop M2 speakers (94,5DB / 100W)
Source : Chromecast (flac Playlist)
optical cable connection

My setup :
Double DAC AK4497 with OPA1656 / OPA1611
High end 2.5 Floor Speakers with Ribbon Tweeter (93DB / 100W RMS)
Source : LGV30 + HD Audio playlist
Main connection : BT Aptx HD

Amplifiers :

Jlester TPA3255 + Genuine Muse 02 OP amps 44V SMPS LLC PSU (see my review)
Shui Yuan TPA3255 with caps mods + OPA1656 48V SMPS LLC PSU (see my review)
Hypex Ncore NC500MP Dual Mono

As I am of French nationality, although I was born in Brazil, I did not want to distort his feedback, so please use Google Translate to keep the authenticity of his opinion :

"Je dirais que ce nouveau TPA3255 a un son très proche du JLESTER (ce qui ne devrait surprendre personne). On retrouve ce côté très neutre, très homogène, très propre, assez doux, avec des voix humaines qui se détachent bien du mix. Il a plus de puissance, ce qui se ressent dans le grave (plus de détails, surtout dans le bas et le medium grave), mais peut-être aussi dans le haut medium, qui sur mes enceintes prend un peu de dureté (mais c'est un défaut connu du haut parleur medium des Sloop). Scène et image sonore très comparable, avec des instruments très bien positionnés. Zero difficulté sur les passages complexes. Les timbres sont très bons, on entend bien les harmoniques dans les voix humaines.

De mémoire, je dirais aussi un peu moins nerveux dans le grave que l'hypex NC500MP, peut-être un poil moins détaillé, mais meilleur sur les voix. Un tantinet plus montant aussi peut-être, mais il faudrait confirmer.

En tous cas, très content de pouvoir faire des écoutes comparatives !!

Le boitier est très bien, très joli, et le côté compact est très sympa ! Je l'ai ouvert par curiosité, les finitions du boîtier super ! Pour l'instant, je n'ai pas constaté de montée en température notable."

I hope that this will help the DIY community to get a first idea of ​​this Shui Yuan module which seems promising therefore) And since several opinions are better than two, I let future buyers share their opinion as well)

Last edited:
You should take a look at the Shui yuan TPA3255 module I reviewed that is an excellent alternative to the Aiyima or 3E Audio modules. You don't have to worry about supporting a voltage of 48V (no overheating), great for DIY modifications, and its compactness is super interesting! The stock module is equipped with full Nichicon caps and some DIP8 OP amps.

Absolutely my plan! I've been following your various TPA3255 projects and this board seems to be the one to go with at the moment. I would also follow your recommendations with the Aliexpress power supply but I can't seem to find one with 120vac mains. I think I might just go with a Connex power supply as I can get exactly what I need including an auxiliary 12vdc output to run a MiniDSP 2x4HD off of.

Hi amigos,

I made up my mind to leave a copy of my Shui Yuan TPA3255 + my Jlester TPA3255 amp to an Audiophile friend. I wanted to have an opinion other than mine regarding this new module....

As I am of French nationality, although I was born in Brazil, I did not want to distort his feedback, so please use Google Translate to keep the authenticity of his opinion :...

I hope that this will help the DIY community to get a first idea of ​​this Shui Yuan module which seems promising therefore) And since several opinions are better than two, I let future buyers share their opinion as well)

Well Chrome (Google) gives this translation to English:

"I would say that this new TPA3255 has a sound very close to JLESTER (which shouldn't surprise anyone). We find this very neutral side, very homogeneous, very clean, quite soft, with human voices that stand out well from the mix. It has more power, which is felt in the bass (more details, especially in the low and low midrange), but maybe also in the high midrange, which on my speakers takes a little harshness (but this This is a known defect of the Sloop midrange driver. Very comparable stage and sound image, with very well positioned instruments. Zero difficulty on complex passages. Tones are very good, harmonics can be heard well in human voices.

From memory, I would also say a little less nervous in the bass than the hypex NC500MP, perhaps a bit less detailed, but better on the vocals. A tad more amount also perhaps, but it would be necessary to confirm.

In any case, very happy to be able to do comparative listening !!

The case is very good, very pretty, and the compact side is very nice! I opened it out of curiosity, the finishes of the case great! So far, I haven't seen any noticeable temperature rise. "

Absolutely my plan! I've been following your various TPA3255 projects and this board seems to be the one to go with at the moment. I would also follow your recommendations with the Aliexpress power supply but I can't seem to find one with 120vac mains. I think I might just go with a Connex power supply as I can get exactly what I need including an auxiliary 12vdc output to run a MiniDSP 2x4HD off of.

Try to ask @ Hisonauto shop, you can Custom your PSU, send him a message via ali :

Hisonauto ICP Store - Amazing prodcuts with exclusive discounts on AliExpress

alternative to get the SMPS300RS 48V / 110V :

SMPS300RS 48V 110V SMPS Switch Mode Power Supply | Hifime Audio

Last alternative ( the 36V / 9.5A / 350W I am also using works very well with my Aiyima A04) but you can custom Voltage + AC inputs :

300W PSU Amplificatore di Potenza Digitale di Alimentazione Classe A Classe AB PSU 5 Set + Uscita +- 24V 30V 36V 42V 48V 55V 60V 15V Singolo DC12V H291|Amplificatore| - AliExpress

Last edited:
Adding a small fan would be my recommendation.

A tiny 12v 60-80mm fan running at 5v will bring temperatures way down and be silent from any listening distance

The heatsink on the 3E board is actually quite nice (and well optimised for passive cooling), best to make the use of that IMO

Last edited:
Joined 2019
Paid Member
Is it difficult or even impossible to change the heatsink on the 3E board?
Got a 48V PSU on it's way, so I'm guessing it will have to be that or adding a fan.

When I ran my 3e amp with a 48V PS the heat sink got warm but not exceedingly so. It was the inductors that got really hot. I have 8 ohm speakers if that’s important to know. You couldn’t keep your fingers on the openings at the top for any good length of time.

Cheers,

Pete

Hi amigos,

My minor Updates :

For TPA3255 module : Remove 2X Nichicon VZ serie 2200UF/63V > Install 2X Nichicon 4700UF KW serie (low ESR Audio grade)

But what amazed me about in this model is that it goes very low in the bass, more than the other Chinese models that I have been able to test. I have the feeling that the made mods have something to do with it.

;)