TPA3255 - all about DIY, Discussion, Design etc

Looking for a cheap & noise free 48v power supply to build up a multichannel TPA3255 amp (I'm using five jlelectronicsph modules). I may house the SMPS in a lower enclosure, and the amplifier modules in the upper section.

SMPS500R seems like the winner at the moment.

The KAYPW Switching Power Supply for LED lighting as suggested earlier, only seems to allow purchase of one per customer?

Any other suggestions for powering 5 modules?

What did you end up going with?

That SMPS500R at 50VDC or 55VDC with the adjustable +-10VDC looks like a nice choice for tweaking some well made TPA3255 boards.

I read in another forum, that some users are using this MeanWell PSU successfully with TPA3255 :

https://fr.farnell.com/mean-well/el...HwVRLfjSptrzTbKLLqArYaaKudNSLT8RoCTIgQAvD_BwE

Mean-Well-ELG-240-48A-3Y.jpg

Last edited:
I read in another forum, that some users are using this MeanWell PSU successfully with TPA3255 :

https://fr.farnell.com/mean-well/el...HwVRLfjSptrzTbKLLqArYaaKudNSLT8RoCTIgQAvD_BwE

This power supply can be used by selecting Blank for the optional Fanctin.
However, this product was originally designed to be used with a constant current, and is disadvantageous over general SMPS for surge currents that exceed the rating. Since the assumed load is mainly for LED lamps, Ripple Noise is also high.

* A constant current power supply is a voltage fluctuation type power supply that keeps the current constant against load fluctuations.
* General SMPS is a constant voltage power supply that keeps the voltage constant against load fluctuations.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Strange behaviour....popping noises after hours of play

My 3e 3255 is powered up 24/7 at 51v. No problems or so I think.
I generally start the system up playing music/TV and nirn low volumes early evening....4/5 PM.
Now by the end of the evening and I'm maybe playing some music a bit louder maybe 10PM the system develops a noise...popping through the speakers. It resolves if I turn the volume down but not instantly ...I have to let it 'have a rest.
I cant see the clip light illuminating. Could this be output inductors saturating? I would have no idea what that might actually sound like. The heatsink and coils are pretty hot at this point. Touchable but uncomfortable even to my gnarled tough fingers!

Or could it be an item in the speakers XO ?

I generally start the system up playing music/TV and nirn low volumes early evening....4/5 PM.
Now by the end of the evening and I'm maybe playing some music a bit louder maybe 10PM the system develops a noise...popping through the speakers. It resolves if I turn the volume down but not instantly ...I have to let it 'have a rest.
I cant see the clip light illuminating. Could this be output inductors saturating? I would have no idea what that might actually sound like. The heatsink and coils are pretty hot at this point. Touchable but uncomfortable even to my gnarled tough fingers!

The symptoms of your amp are very similar to the symptoms I have experienced before.
My amp board is not a 3e audio one, but it is a board amp using the same TPA3255. The power supply was 48V and was continuously energized every day. After about two months, I suddenly started to feel noise. Even if the power is turned off and the amplifier board is cooled once, noise will be generated again when the power is turned on again.
At that time, I suspected that the electrolytic capacitor had deteriorated, and replaced the electrolytic capacitor on the board, but it did not improve. After all, I gave up using that board amp and am now using the same 3e audio amp board as you. However, the power supply voltage is lowered to 43V. I also bought the same 3e audio 48V PS with the amp board, but at the 48V voltage the amp overheated so badly that I stopped using it.

D

Deleted member 148505

If you have the version with DIP-8 sockets, I have a suspicion that the contacts are becoming corroded. Try to replace opamp with NE5532 DIP version and use a contact cleaner. Or it might be an overheating supply regulator.

Last edited by a moderator:

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Now by the end of the evening and I'm maybe playing some music a bit louder maybe 10PM the system develops a noise...

Does your local mains voltage vary significantly throughout the day? Depending on the grid and infrastructure you could be seeing lower voltage throughout the day during "peak" usage, and higher voltage in the evening during the "off-peak" period. This can also be seasonal depending on where you live.

If you are already on the ragged edge in terms of rail voltage and cooling, this could be enough to push it over the threshold.

I know some rural parts of Australia are famous for swinging between 220VAC and 250VAC depending on grid load and where the power is coming from.

Might be worth a quick check just to rule that out.

Regards,
Owen

D

Deleted member 148505

Does your local mains voltage vary significantly throughout the day? Depending on the grid and infrastructure you could be seeing lower voltage throughout the day during "peak" usage, and higher voltage in the evening during the "off-peak" period. This can also be seasonal depending on where you live.

If you are already on the ragged edge in terms of rail voltage and cooling, this could be enough to push it over the threshold.

I know some rural parts of Australia are famous for swinging between 220VAC and 250VAC depending on grid load and where the power is coming from.

Might be worth a quick check just to rule that out.

Regards,
Owen

Agree this might be the case since he is using unregulated supply.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
More valid points to check thanks.
I have the earlier board sans dip sockets but I shall give it a good visual inspection. Just testing my latest cd player mods haven't killed it and then I shell remove the 3255 from the system for a while to look things over.
Will check the mains tonight though. Good idea