TPA3255 - all about DIY, Discussion, Design etc

Hello Daniboun

The numbers above are incorrect.
Purifi Amp has about 0.003 THD+N 20-20Khz 5W to 133W.

Bosc Gan , depends on what you see. As far as THD levels we beat them already (above numbers)
Our amp will be independently verified by Amir and I guarantee that our numbers willl be 2-3db better (since our AP floor is not as good)
At last , this is not about THD only. The SQ of a class d is not only AP numbers but multiple noise reduction techniques .
For those of you that know our TPA3118 design ,or for anyone else , you can check indepandant reviews and measuring on Amir site. We have reduced noise on output for example , something that's not taken into consideration on those forums.

Yes DrMordor design seems to be very competent , but experience in class D is crucial . Show me the noise on output , EMI levels , THD. Once you can tame those you can have a good sounding Class D design
As for us , we are still doing the incremental work on our AMP and when its ready we will have some units sent to test.

Yes you can use loop gain to reduce THD and the math makes perfect sense. However we approach this differently. Make a LLC quasi resonant, dual power with noise at 1uV (tested on AP) or less (up to 3A). Use best inductor and multiple C in parallel for low distortion . Use RDC snubbers on outputs to eliminate the oscillations. Design the PCB for low EMI. Why rely on feedback when you can design for ultralow distortion in the first place ?
Time will tell if we chose the right approach .

I am perfectly OK with you.

I think the TPA3255 should be viewed as a chip with enormous potential if everything that is structured around it is well done.

I am even convinced that a TPA3255 worthy of the name, well built , could eventually compete with amps of the order of Purifi / Bosc and probably other GAN amps to come.

Yes DrMordor design seems to be very competent , but experience in class D is crucial . Show me the noise on output , EMI levels , THD. Once you can tame those you can have a good sounding Class D design

Regarding this point I agree with you, I expect a lot from him so that he will be able to bring us measures by December.
For the moment, my hypothesis by reasoning by syllogism makes me say that his amp is very convincing and the opinions are unanimous.

I expect measurements from this amp, I hope, at least identical to the TPA3255 developed by 360 Customs.

TPA3255 / TPA3251 / TPA3245 Rev.1B final - # 360customs

Another point, I could soon get an idea of ​​the performance of a well-built TPA3255 VS a Purifi dual mono with a custom buffer (in progress)

FINAL QUESTION

At what price do you think you will sell your future jewel?
I hope it will be competitive on the price plan .... knowing for $550 you can have dual Mono Bosc modules... And I'm not even talking about the Drmordor modules which are beyond comprehension regarding their price

Last edited:
Our dual mono amp with QR LLC dual voltage integrated , will be sold with casing.
We understand that pricing is important and we will be very , very competitive.

As far as numbers that I see on 360 customs , they are not much better than TI. We beat TI EVM by minimum of 12db on H and 6 to 12db on THD+N across most powers and frequencies .
However you will find many new tricks on our amp (like selectable gain)

Right now I am testing a second gain...power. Change psu voltage and we get 40V instead of 55V. (gain is reduced by voltage)
I am yet to make it work(so no guarantees),but we try to think outside the box.

Regarding Drmordor , I fully understand that compared with competitors his amp sounds better, no doubt about that. As TNT is suggesting it could be that some H are dominant (specifically H2/H3) but from my side I think its a competent design.(thats why it sounds good)

Still , test data its usually first , not an afterthought .

Our dual mono amp with QR LLC dual voltage integrated , will be sold with casing.
We understand that pricing is important and we will be very , very competitive.

I trust and I wish it could be true )
But can you share a range of price ? I guess and wish it could be less than $500 :)

For those of you that know our TPA3118 design ,or for anyone else , you can check indepandant reviews and measuring on Amir site. We have reduced noise on output for example , something that's not taken into consideration on those forums.

Can you provide link to ASR review please ? interesting )

Last edited:
Hello,

did you have any chance to compare OPA2192 to OPA2189 or OPA2209?
Thank you very much :)
Rgds,
Martin

Still testing.

OPA2192 = Strong bass, powerful sound, not too polite.
OPA2189 = Great transparency, tight and dry bass.
OPA2209 = Warm, still transparent, bass is a little bit rounder and fuller than 2189.

I have to make more shootouts with different music styles.

My combo at his time: OPA1612 as gain and OPA2189 as buffer.

Next I will test the OPA2228 as buffer cos as gain it is not transparent enough.

BTW, OPA1656 as buffer is a no go, powerless weak sound and higher distortion.

OPA2227 = Fat & dark sound very slow and muddy. Bass is undefined.

Last edited:
As far as numbers that I see on 360 customs , they are not much better than TI. We beat TI EVM by minimum of 12db on H and 6 to 12db on THD+N across most powers and frequencies .

But we remember that the THD figure doesn't really affect the subjective perception of sound? It is rather important that
a) the spectral composition of harmonics when operating on a complex load
b) the relationship between harmonics
c) a change in the spectral composition of distortions from power, frequency and load
d) the complex output impedance of the amplifier in the range of frequencies and loads and many more things that are one or two numbers in standard tests are not described, what can you do ... (С)

But we remember that the THD figure doesn't really affect the subjective perception of sound? It is rather important that
a) the spectral composition of harmonics when operating on a complex load
b) the relationship between harmonics
c) a change in the spectral composition of distortions from power, frequency and load
d) the complex output impedance of the amplifier in the range of frequencies and loads and many more things that are one or two numbers in standard tests are not described, what can you do ... (С)
Don't forget IMD!

For those who want measurements,

I share you a very good link with about 300 amps compared. (source ASR) :
from the best to the worst

And you will see that performance and price are not always concomitant...
Some enthusiasts will tell you that an Accuphase P4500 or a Mcintosh MA9000 will always sound better than a Purifi ... The Audiophile world also requires a sensory perception that goes beyond measurements, there is always a part of subjectivity in the preference , it is obvious .... But I am convinced that a good measure also reveals a good "musical and expert"ear)

SINAD list for 3rd party measured amplifiers - Google Sheets

I hope to see a worthy TPA3255 at the top of the list)
Cdsgames and Drmordor, we rely on you )

Last edited:
Joined 2019
Paid Member
It seems like a race to see who can measure best on ASR, let's remember that some things we hear with our ears are not measurable so I prefer what sounds best.

Yup..

There does come a time when necessary optimization probably become superfluous in what human hearing & character can perceive or prefers. Measurement is truly necessary but scopeaholicism just makes for pretty pictures. Are there any blinded studies comparing THD optimization versus perceived sound?

Cheers, Pete