Xmas Amp - Dibya's TDA7293 by Jhofland

Joined 2018
Paid Member
I have looked at a couple of builds here, was the 10R, 100nf, 1N5059, 1N5059 network connected to mounting pad H4 optional?

network circuit for xmas amp.jpg

Joined 2019
Paid Member
I have looked at a couple of builds here, was the 10R, 100nf, 1N5059, 1N5059 network connected to mounting pad H4 optional?

View attachment 984847

I believe it’s used to control feedback into the ground plane of the amp board because of the grounding of the amp at pad/mounting hole H4. If you don’t ground your amp boards at pad H4 the feedback/buzz is just awful. So yes, those components are necessary.

Any other comments?

Pete

Last edited:
Joined 2019
Paid Member
I think this should clear up the which line is positive and which line is negative,

View attachment 984979

View attachment 984980

Using the continuity setting on the meter, then testing power input pins 1&4 against the +&- sides of C6&11 as well as power input pins 3&6 against the +&- sides of C5&9 would have been my choice of testing…;)

Just my two cents..

The Xmas amp moved up one level higher in the amp rack. I’m listening to it almost everyday now. Still loving the sound of this amp. So pleasant and dynamic - no fatigue at all. Can listen all day.

Top row: prototype for Emerald Physics under development (600.2SE) using IcePower 1200AS2 module with HyperSET SS/tube buffer preamp, Xmas amp; middle row: Alpha Nirvana 40w Class A amp by Hugh Dean, Aspen Amplifiers (Hugh Dean) Glass Harmony (1 channel) 50w SE Class A amp; bottom row is VHEX+ amp 100w Class AB by Vzaichenko.

Glad the Xmas amps moved to a higher level. I'm going to have to get mine hooked up and tested and hear how they sound. :)

Using the continuity setting on the meter, then testing power input pins 1&4 against the +&- sides of C6&11 as well as power input pins 3&6 against the +&- sides of C5&9 would have been my choice of testing…;)

Just my two cents..
Thank you turion64 - such a simple and noob-proof test. Why did I not think about it?

Glad the Xmas amps moved to a higher level.
Maybe I must take another stab at this simple and relatively cheap amp, seeing that it sounds so good. Are there any boards available?

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Thank you turion64 - such a simple and noob-proof test. Why did I not think about it?

We all should be willing to learn something new.. ;>)

Maybe I must take another stab at this simple and relatively cheap amp, seeing that it sounds so good. Are there any boards available?

Might cheaper and faster to just have 5 made at JLCPCB and shipped to you in SA. Maybe if someone in SA had some extra boards made.

Cheers

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member

View attachment 984847

That’s a ground loop breaker (GLB). It allows the amp’s clean analog 0v reference or “ground” be connected to the “dirty” chassis/earth ground for RF noise reduction and safety while reducing ground loop hum.