My_Ref Fremen Edition - Build thread and tutorial

I included some upgrades except z-foils that will come next and Mundorf stuf...
Excellent! :)

Which connectors did you have in mind? RCA and speaker binding post?
Yes and IEC too, connectors are the weak link, see the build guide for suggestions.

The low mass full copper connectors will improve harmonic content, black background and naturalness.

I'm getting things together for my forthcoming My_Ref Fremen build. Yippee! :)

I was intending to use shielded input cable from RCA's to pcb's, but there would seem to be various conflicting theories for the best way to terminate the shield - at RCA end, pcb end, or both? :confused:

Could any of you kind people recommend the best input cable screen termination method for the My-Ref?

Many thanks,

Richard

One doesn't really need to use shielded cable inside the amplifier, unless the board is very far away (feet, not inches) from the input jack or the wire is running very near (fractions of an inch) the power transformer. Simply twisting two wires is adequate to prevent noise.

The twist does not need to be so tight that it almost breaks the wires!

Peace,
Tom E

Ah - yes, you're right Dario - looks like that cable is indeed intended for balanced use. I obviously didn't read the spec closely enough, in my haste!! :eek:

All being well I plan to locate pcb's as close to RCA's as possible anyway, so yes I'll take your advice Tom and simply use a twisted pair with 'careful positioning' in that case.:cheers:

I think I fooled myself into trying to be too critical about it, wanting to try to get the very best end results! Back on track now .....

Thanks both

Ah - yes, you're right Dario - looks like that cable is indeed intended for balanced use. I obviously didn't read the spec closely enough, in my haste!! :eek:
Not a problem and you can use that cable if you want.

Just remenber: with an unbalanced cable you just have two conductors and you MUST use both, with a balanced one you have 2 conductors and a screen, just use the 2 conductors for signal and ground.

For the shield of the balanced cable you have 3 choices:

• solder to signal ground on both sides (the Yazaki San method)
  • solder to signal ground on 'source' side (the most common)
  • solder to the safety ground so that is equipotential with the chassis.
For signal cables I usually use the Yazaki San method but in the My_Ref I've used the second one, I suspect that the best would be the third, though.

All being well I plan to locate pcb's as close to RCA's as possible anyway, so yes I'll take your advice Tom and simply use a twisted pair with 'careful positioning' in that case.:cheers:
A good choice but I took a different path in my build, I'm using the Mogami W2944 micro-balanced cable (similar to your Van Damme), it's one of the best cables I've ever tried and will be recommended in the build guide.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Dario,

Many thanks for the further info - I'm familiar with the different cable types, have used both many times before, just wasn't sure if there was any preferred method of terminating the screen (or perhaps definitely do not use screened cable!) with regards to the My_Ref, specifically. You've answered that clearly for me now, thanks again.

Yes, I saw that the Mogami W2944 cable was recommended in the build guide, but I wasn't able to find this available in small quantities in UK from the usual suppliers (i.e., no more than a couple of metres). The Van Damme seemed to have equally good reviews so hence went with that as an alternative (not used it before, so we'll see).

Fascinating article about Mr. Shirokazu Yazaki and his 'adventures' - I haven't read the whole article yet but will intend to do so ..... although his various approaches may be somewhat out of my league I suspect!!

Thanks again for your guidance Dario, as always