My_Ref Fremen Edition - Build thread and tutorial

Replace your C9 with a Nichicon KZ or FG. Replace your C13 with Amtrans AMCG or Audyn KpSn. These are inexpensive, high quality parts available from HiFi Collective. If you can afford just a bit more, the Auricap XO 200 volt is better yet.

Your amps will be transformed.

Peace,
Tom E

That AMCG looks interesting.

I still like the Mundorf Supreme, but I haven't had a chance to compare the auricap.

I thought I ought to add in relation to C9 & C13, I have DC coupled the boards and so there are no C13's fitted. Should I still expect a major difference in HF SQ simply by replacing C9?

Yes. C9 is still a major influence on sound character.

Your BOM has a lot of differences from the official BOM. I notice the small MKT caps, for example. Just so you know, this group is very component specific and, especially Dario, has spent lots of time and money comparing component options. Building the amp with correct value components, but not at all related to the specified components will, for most of us, put you in a place where we don't know how the amp will sound. IMHO it won't sound at all like it was intended too. That goes all the way down to diodes, etc. I know that there are a lot of people that believe that component choice doesn't matter and I respect their opinion. But that hasn't been my experience. And we aren't about snake oil and expensive. The industrial BOM is quite reasonably priced and still sounds very good.

Anyway, C9 will be the most important component to try.

Jac

Last edited:
This is the BOM I used :-

Number Desc 1 Desc 2 Desc 3 Source Part Number per count total
D1-D3 1N4001 1A - 50V Diodes On Semi Digikey 1N4001RLOSCT-ND 0.224 3 0.672

Q2-Q3 BC546 NPN Bipolar Transistor On

(..)
However, not all the components were of the same manufacture as the BOM, but the values were the same.

This is a My_Ref Rev C on TP boards BOM...what I'm missing?

I think I get it. You are talking about a Russ White (TP or Twisted Pear) board and built it with the BOM of that time.

We thought you were asking questions about a Fremen Edition build, which is the subject of this thread. If that is the case, I only came in when the Fremen Edition was being developed, so I don't know anything about the Russ White board and withdraw all of my comments. I'm guessing that the Russ White board, which is a My_Ref, would still be very responsive to C9, but that is just a guess.

Jac

LM318 power supply voltage.

I guess I hadn't paid attention. If I am reading correctly, Mauro powered the LM318 with +/- 12V. Dario increased that to 14V. Reading the datasheet, the LM318 is capable of +/- 20V and the datasheet measurements were at 18.

Is there a reason why you couldn't increase the voltage to, for example, 18V by changing the zener? I am asking because a friend has an FE amp, is building a balanced line receiver, and is considering powering it from C102,C202. His balanced line receiver wants higher voltage. I have explained the risks of oscillation, but it seems like it would be worth trying.

Thanks

Jac

I think I get it. You are talking about a Russ White (TP or Twisted Pear) board and built it with the BOM of that time.

We thought you were asking questions about a Fremen Edition build, which is the subject of this thread. If that is the case, I only came in when the Fremen Edition was being developed, so I don't know anything about the Russ White board and withdraw all of my comments. I'm guessing that the Russ White board, which is a My_Ref, would still be very responsive to C9, but that is just a guess.

Jac

No problem Jac.

As I have just mentioned it elsewhere, please do not chsnge the PS value in the TP myref board.
That version did not have the EVO/ FE style clipping limiter.
Mauro, on purpose, had limited the PS to the opamp, so it does the output limiting in the driving phase, before the LM3886 would enter clipping.

In the later versions, with clipper, one 'could' experiment with PS, but the lm318 does become more instable (it's already a high speed chip, not really audio) - - so not by accident that Mauro had stopped at 14V (in the EVO). And Dario (in the FE).

All the best, George

Ps. : i have elevated to +_18V, in my ampli (EVO) but only because I could, with OPA828...

Hi Dario, sorry I am not sure what you mean. I would add that the Russ White board has all the component values screen printed on it.

Ok, now I get it.

While we can help since the two amps are strictly related you're on the wrong thread... the right one is this: The new "My Ref" Rev C thread

Please post there, I'll give you my suggestions.

Hi everyone,

Now received my My_Ref FE pcb's, started to assemble components and realise I only ordered 2 of R101 & R201 Vishay Dale metal film 50 ohm resistors (i.e., I should have ordered 4 total, 2 for each board, of course!). Doh!

Everywhere now seems out of stock, long wait times etc., so before I go ahead and place a back order and need to wait some weeks (annoying!) does anyone out there have a couple of these resistors spare by any chance, that I could gratefully purchase from you and (hopefully) obtain a bit sooner!

Thanks, in anticipation!

Hi Richard,

Someone may disagree with me, but you could probably go ahead with pretty much any resistor of the right value in that location and not pay a big price. Those resistors are just used in the constant current source of the regulator. You could build with resistors on hand and replace them later.

Jac

Someone may disagree with me, but you could probably go ahead with pretty much any resistor of the right value in that location and not pay a big price. Those resistors are just used in the constant current source of the regulator. You could build with resistors on hand and replace them later.
Here I am, Jac...

I disagree, trust me or not those resistors are easily audible and I suggest to stick to the BOM, the RN55 are good price/performance parts in that position.

Thanks for the info Dario - I've now ordered Vishays from Mouser anyway and looks like they're being shipped already ..... having waited this long to get started I don't mind waiting a little while longer to get the correct items!

Good news - I've been able to complete one channel that I did have the correct resistors for, all working well so far - DC offset ~ 7mV on first turn on (same whether I/P shorted or not - is that normal, I expected lower DC when I/P shorted?).

Won't 'burn it in' just yet - I'll wait until both channels are completed and them run them both at the same time so I can compare voltages as they settle down.

Best regards,

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Here I am, Jac...

I disagree, trust me or not those resistors are easily audible and I suggest to stick to the BOM, the RN55 are good price/performance parts in that position.

Dario, I won’t argue with your choice of RN55s in most signal path areas (they are dependable and imbue an audible accuracy) but at the positions mentioned (R101&201) since they set the voltage output of the LM317s couldn’t it be more likely that it’s the tolerance of the RN55s (~0.1%) that are playing a role in possibly affecting the sound? If you picked another brand that had a 0.1% tolerance or hand matched 4 resistors (with 1% accuracy) for exactly 50R one may not hear a difference. This is just a theoretical question.

I’d still use Dales....;)

Regards,

Pete

couldn’t it be more likely that it’s the tolerance of the RN55s (~0.1%) that are playing a role in possibly affecting the sound? If you picked another brand that had a 0.1% tolerance or hand matched 4 resistors (with 1% accuracy) for exactly 50R one may not hear a difference. This is just a theoretical question.

Hi Pete,

no, it's not tolerance, I've compared, among others, also PTF56 0.1% and there was a distinct difference in the sound signature, the same one you can hear on the signal path.

At the same time tolerance (and TC) have a role, 0.1% low TC RN55 sounds more neutral and detailed than 1% 50ppm ones.