Chip amp power supply- a beginners guide

A transformer converts AC to a different voltage AC. The bridge converts AC to DC. To calculate the DC after the bridge (assuming there are smoothing capacitors), multiply the transformer secondary voltage by 1.4. So for a 30V transformer, you'll get 42V. BUT, that is at full transformer load. At no load, your voltage will be higher. 46V is not abnormal.

Redshift187 said:
A transformer converts AC to a different voltage AC. The bridge converts AC to DC. To calculate the DC after the bridge (assuming there are smoothing capacitors), multiply the transformer secondary voltage by 1.4. So for a 30V transformer, you'll get 42V. BUT, that is at full transformer load. At no load, your voltage will be higher. 46V is not abnormal.

Nuuk said:

Yes, in which case you will have a regulated supply as described here . But I suggest you do plenty of reading before you build it. ;)

thanks man .... i been reading i need to put in trimmer to adjust the output voltage

Hello. I'm newbie DIYer , so have many qestions :)

My next (and first "serious" at the same time) project will be simple Headphone amp (CMOY and the second one is class A on IRF510).

I read some begginer guides and draw this scheme (see attach).
Tranformer has two secondaryes (4 wires) . I wonder if I need two rectifier-bridges or only one is necessary?

I'd like You to check this, and tell, if it has any mistakes, please :)

Attachments

• psu01.png
    psu01.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 1,708
humm, i have a problem with my psu. i have a dual secondary 31Vdc. but if i am trying to get ground between the two secondarys, but if i connect the two to use a single rectifier the whole transformator gets really hot, and if i use 2 rectifiers and try to get a ground between + and - it also gets really hot. i can get power from it but simply not when i try to get a ground too. what could i possibly be dooing wrong?

jockwe said:
humm, i have a problem with my psu. i have a dual secondary 31Vdc. but if i am trying to get ground between the two secondarys, but if i connect the two to use a single rectifier the whole transformator gets really hot, and if i use 2 rectifiers and try to get a ground between + and - it also gets really hot. i can get power from it but simply not when i try to get a ground too. what could i possibly be dooing wrong?

Sounds like your secondary wires are mixed up?

I throw myself at your mercy nuuk.

My ps is developing altogether far too much power. I'm getting about 82v dc out of it per secondary. I have an amveco xformer rated at 140VA, 24v secondary vac, 2.8aac. At first I had no juice atall. I tore down, re-filed the secondaries and built a new rectifier on the spare audiosector board. Now I have too much power!:bawling:

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,
disconnect everything from the transformer.
Connect a light bulb tester in the primary feed.

Wire all the transformer tappings into separate receptacles of a terminal strip.

Power up the transformer. The bulb should be off.

Measure the AC secondary voltages and post here.

I've got it plugged into the bulb tester at all times until I know forsure I've got a healthy device. As for the xformer, I tested it as suggested before installing it in the box and it worked like a peach.

:xeye:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I may need to use a non-cellphone camera...

The grounding lead is obscured by the iec plug/fuse thing, the ground wires off the pcb are soldered on the underside and thus also obscured. They're screwed onto the chassis using grounding washers etc.

The traffo runs room temp, I can't feel any heat, I've never observed any light coming off the bulb tester at all sparing when I swapped the primary leads (the bulb lit up then).

If I disconnect the rectifier and plug in the traffo should I expect it to run warm?

Ok, busy day. I was just able to disconnect the secondaries and connect them to a terminal strip unloaded.

Results were:

3.55v per secondary +or- .03v

and .10v +or- .01v differential (i think that's the word?) between secondaries.

Traffo not collecting any heat, light bulb didn't even glow a little.

I can't figure out why I get 3.5v AC per secondary unloaded, and 80dc volts after the rectifier. My (beginner's) electrical math says that doesn't compute...

Attachments

• dsc00628s.jpg
    dsc00628s.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,278
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
raypalmer said:

I can't figure out why I get 3.5v per secondary unloaded, and 80 volts after the rectifier. My (beginner's) electrical math says that doesn't compute...

Forget the math, you need a new voltmeter! WOW.

You say the transformer is 24VAC per secondary and you are somehow measuring 80VDC after rectification, yet you measure a meager 3.5VAC from the secondaries unconnected?

:whazzat: